Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What platform is the pacifica on??

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by voiceofstl, Jul 7, 2016.

1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I keep reading that the platform is the compact US Wide. Its related to the 200.
    How is that possiable? They must have bent, welded, streactched and did a majical dance to make a 200 platform become a full size mini van.
    So a 1999 Dodge B van is built on the b body platform?

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The old B-van was the AB-body. The new Pacifica is the RU body. There may be similarities in layout to the 200, but is is an all-new vehicle.

Rick Anderson likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

"Platform" for FCA vehicles does not man the same thing as "platform" for earlier vehicles.

Rick Anderson likes this.
  4. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

The platforms can/will carry over equipment and designs from the last platform, the new platforms will incorporate things from other platforms or have some designs based on things from other platforms, etc... But they are their own platforms.

I remember the debates about the Neons and PT cruiser. Many believing the PT cruiser was just built on the Neon Platform, the prototype was a modified Neon platform, the final PT cruiser platform certainly did borrow things from the Neon platform, but it was its own platform.

I'd defer to someone with better knowledge, I get the impression they engineer more quickly than the past, so instead of a new vehicle built on the same platform with just a few changes, like the past, they design a new car re-engineering a similar platform. Don't know if they started with the 200 platform or NOT, but if they did, they did far more than just stretch it to fit, and its rightfully its own platform.

5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

What they kept was key parts of the vehicle from the A-pillars forward... which takes a lot of time to design. CUSW was designed to be altered quite a bit.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  6. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Can we the 70's E body was just a B body with shorten wheel base?

7. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

It is something that is not uncommon.

For example Jeep Renegade/Fiat 500X and Fiat Toro are base on Small 4x4 architectures, but the wheelbase length is different as well as vehicles overall lenght.
    Jeep Renegade wheelbase is 2570 mm (101.2") while for the Fiat Toro is 2990 mm (117.7").

From the front till the b-pillar the structure (not the external "skin") is almost identical.

[​IMG]

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

You can say that but it wouldn't technically be true... that would have made more sense than what they did, I suspect. Likewise the R body should have just been a lengthened B body...

TTT has noted that they don't usually use the word platform any more, it's families of architectures, technically. Most accurately, he described in detail about how they basically use one car as the basis to develop others, — instead of starting from nothing, or using a strict “these are unchanging hard points” definition as in the past (and resulted in the mess of “k based” platforms that were mostly very similar)...

So the Dart comes, then the Cherokee comes, then the 200, then the Pacifica. Supposedly these are all CUSW, except Pacifica, which they haven't gotten into detail on, but which is reportedly CUSW based. What's kind of interesting is that the biggest commonality I've seen, casually and without really checking for it, is between the 200 and Pacifica. My GUESS is that they essentially carried over the engine-bay-to-steering-wheel-and-all-between as closely as possible between the two cars. you'll recall that engineers have talked about loads of time and money needed just for the dashboard and instrument panel... so maybe they save a few months and $80 million by carrying forward...

And of course once they've used a basic setup in one car, they can compare actual performance to simulated, and make predictions more accurate.

#8 Dave Z, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  9. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

71 B Body was a lengthened 70 E body.
    Same engine bay...
    But, more to it than that.