AF: what type of material is this rim constructed from ? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what type of material is this rim constructed from ?

Discussion in 'Vans' started by Laser86, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Laser86

Laser86 Member

Looking to change out the rims and tires on an '02 I just purchased, on the van now are no name brand 20 " rims and tires and I want to switch them over to some 16 " Michelin.

2002 Dodge driver side.jpg

I have 4 - 16 " factory rims on my '03 I want to install on my '02 but I am not sure what they are constructed from, or the finish.

2003 Dodge rim.jpg

Does anybody know what material is used in the construction of these Dodge 2003 Ram Van factory rims, and the finish ?

I am assuming these are factory rims because I have seen these type rims on several Dodge vans. I thought I have read somewhere that these are ' alloy ' rims, but then they rust in spots, however the rust comes off easily with a scotch pad and dish soap.

I would like to clean these ' alloy ' rims up before I have tires mounted on them but I am not sure what would be involved in cleaning them up (wire brush, sand blast, paint).

I found 2 - 16 " chrome rims at pull a part (25.00 each, with tire), but I only have 2 of them, not sure I will be able to find another 2, or the price. I have always liked the look of the ' alloy ' factory rims and that might be what ends up being installed, however if I had 4 chrome rims.

pull a part chrome rim.jpg

Also, does anybody know what solid one piece chrome lug nuts work with the factory center caps ?

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The middle picture is a steel wheel, not an aluminum alloy, likely painted either argent (my guess) or sparkle silver.

DC-93 and Bob Lincoln like this.
  3. Laser86

Laser86 Member

Yeah, I knew it was not aluminum, I was questioning why an '03 rim, up North, would show little rust and what rust there is would clean up easily with a green kitchen scrubbing pad and soap water. Suppose the steel could be have went through a hardening process or maybe contain additives (perhaps a steel alloy ?), similar to how the cross member in my '03 shows little rust while the frame rails rust through.

Come to think of it, the rim for the spare tire shows significant rust.

rusted spare rim.jpg

Since this is the case, some wire brushing, sanding, and sand blasting with a primer and paint finish should work just fine, call me old school but I like the look of these plain ole factory rims, but I will keep my eyes peeled for 2 more chrome rims.

#3 Laser86, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  4. Laser86

Laser86 Member

valiant67 likes this.
  5. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

These metal rims from your dealer are not that expensive.. 18" steel rims for my Ram 2500 in Canadian $$ is 110 bucks...approx and I agree they look better. Also the idea of a custom paint job on them is a cool idea.

6. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

They pop up on ebay, too.