Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was the better old 6 cyl Dodge or Ford

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, commercial trucks' started by voiceofstl, Aug 22, 2017.

1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Ford guys say the old 300 straight 6 in Ford trucks was the 6 in a pickup ever and puts the slant 6 to shame.
    The ford 300 may had a bit more power but how does it stand up to the /6 for durabilty?

2. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

You should buy one of each and let us know! :D

3. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

The slant-6 has a worldwide reputation for being one of the most durable automotive engines. I once sprang a leak, ran out of oil. I filled it and started it, no damage. Oilite bearings saved it. I have heard of people running them up to 6 minutes with no oil. At a time when most car engines barely made 100K miles without a rebuild, this engine would go twice that without having to be serviced.

4. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Drove my Diplomat slant 6 from Thompson to Winnipeg, lost the oil sensor and all the oil. Trucker came along help me plug the sensor filled back with oil and drove it the rest of the way... that was a 739 km trip (about 450 miles after oil loss). It got us there safely but still had to replace the short block.. got it done on the cheep and that car is still running to this day.
    The only experience with the ford straight 6 is in trucks ... the torque was nice with a standard tranny but not reliable.

5. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Tell your Ford guys they are full of it. The Slant 6 has it all over the Ford.

wtxiceman likes this.
  6. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Had a 225 /6 in a '65 Dart. I beat on that thing mercilessly (I was a teenager) and it still continued to run. Mileage unknown (odometer was broke), but it was estimated to have ~200K miles on it when I sold it.

7. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

The Ford 300 has 75 cubic inches on the 225 Slant 6, but as Shane reported, it's known more for torque. Its bore is 4", stroke is 3.98". It's generally considered one of Ford's best engines; they only put it in trucks, vans, and Broncos (it's also in some UPS delivery vehicles). In addition to trucks and vans, the Slant 6 went into compact and mid-sized Plymouths and Dodges, and even into some Chryslers toward the end of the '70s. Both engines lasted a long time if they were properly maintained, but few are the engines you can't say that about. The 225 returned better mileage. I read that you don't want a 300 from the early '80s. You also don't want certain transmissions mated to it (the Mazda 5-speed, for example). One of the 300's weak spots was the oil pan, which tended to rust. Rust seems to be inherent in Fords: I remember a guy at a swap meet wore a cap that read, "On a quiet night, you can hear Fords rust."

8. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Well, my dad had a 4x4 ford with 300 6cyl and a manual and a 2wd slant six auto matic. He works in the strip mining business. I hate to say it...but this is why there are mopars in my garage.

That 2wd dodge did everything better than the ford.

Now at the time my dad drove exclusively 77 to 79 F150 (1985ish) A dozer backed over the ford and while dad was fixing the ford he picked up the dodge for a song for transportion. One stormy day he walked in covered in mud. I figured the dodge got stuck. Nah, that was from cleaning tracks. He couldn't stop talking of the fun he had coming out the strippens cut with that Ole dodge. (1980 by the way, dual headlight, shortbed...my favorite). Never saw another Ford in the driveway...right now there is a Dakota there.

Shane Estabrooks and somber like this.
  9. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

I personally have never seen a slant 6 vehicle go to it's grave with a non running engine.

10. fireater

fireater Member

i had one that burnt oil..78 super six in a volarie. but it still ran awesome 30 mpg!!.. tech tip if u have one that stalling at a red light / stop sign adjust the valves. read that in an old book called fix your plymouth and it worked

11. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

I talked with a Ford guy in Texas last week. He said that one of the 300's weak points was exhaust leaks. The engine had a tendency to vibrate, though whether this was an engine or mount problem, he didn't say. Anyway, this would jostle the exhaust manifold enough to make the O-ring between it and the pipe need replacing fairly often.

12. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I was looking for a non-warped valve cover once to stop a leak, and pulled the cover off a slant-6 in a 66 Coronet with 96K miles.

Underneath was a perfect black jello mold of what used to be oil, filling in the entire blank space between head and valve cover. I'm guessing that that motor didn't run - and had never, ever, seen an oil change.

A kid in my HS once deliberately drained the oil and ran his slant-6 up and down a beach parking lot to see how long it would survive before seizing. Answer: Six minutes.

13. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

I too worked with a mine that only had the 300 Ford. No V-8 engines allowed as the mud was so bad that they did daily under vehicle washes and cold water hitting the manifolds on the "V" shape cracked a lot of manifolds. My companies trucks had 460 engines and we did replace manifolds. /6 was probably a better engine but there was no replacement for displacement in those days. Had a 74 3/4 ton with /6 and it was very good in that size. One ton was too big but no lack of durability in that engine.

14. awyseguy

awyseguy Well-Known Member

I managed to blow my /6.. But that was certainly not a problem with the motor.. That was all, and I repeat ALL my doing.. Back in HS, I ran my daily driver '72 Valiant /6 for 2 weeks after the water pump went out before I replaced it.. I just buried the temp gauge on my way to school and back.. While still out doing burnouts and redlining the motor. I did put 9000 extremely abusive miles on my $75 car in just over 3 months. Had I realized that it would keep going with maintenance instead of abuse.. That car would still be running to this day.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  15. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

They also used slant sixes in medium duty trucks as well. Up to D500 I believe.

awyseguy likes this.
  16. awyseguy

awyseguy Well-Known Member

Yes, I have seen a /6 in a D500 in a rock quarry.

17. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

I have worked on both and owned 2 6cyl Ford trucks, one was the old 223 engine, a 1958, the other was a 1977 F150 with the 300. I never had a problem with either, but, one of my employees when I had a shop threw a rod in his A100 van 225 slant, He drove it home from a trip, probably 200 miles, just had to keep adding oil to make up for what was being thrown out through the hole in the side of the block. I heard from someone else who had done the same and didn't know what happened until he stopped and found it wouldn't start, #6 rod had come through the side of the block and knocked the starter off.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.