AF: What's more boring than Formula1? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's more boring than Formula1?

Discussion in 'Current Motorsports / Racing News' started by dodgeismycar, Jul 12, 2020.

1. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

I can't believe F1 attracts such a large TV audience. Watching F1 is like watching grass grow.

2. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

I thought I was the only one who feels that way. Not a popular opinion, but for that matter I can't recall ever watching more than a few laps of any open wheel racing.

When I had season tickets to Texas Motor Speedway, I couldn't even give away my IRL tickets and with prices climbing every year, that was one of the reasons I sold my two preferred seats...and a
    t a big loss, I might add.

That's my opinion of pro drag racing too. If it has doors I watch, but when Top Fuel and Funny Cars are running, I stroll the pits and visit the Sportsman teams.

3. chuzz

chuzz Allpar Legacy

Golf is more boring. LOL

DC-93 and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  4. dodgeismycar

You are correct sir!!

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I've been doing about the same for over 50 years. In the early days of TF and Funny Cars I did watch them more closely because there were a fair number of them powered by Olds, Ford, or "Brand C" motors and I enjoyed watching the Mopar powered stuff eat them for lunch. Once the TF and Funny Car classes essentially became Mopar Spec classes, I generally head to the Sportsmen pits when they are running.

6. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

On TV, yes. It's quite another to actually play a round of golf.

dodgeismycar likes this.
  7. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Nascar.
    Turn left, try not to crash. Got it.
    F1, Trans-Am anything with cars that can turn left and right.

8. dodgeismycar

Hmmm.F1 first to the first corner wins.

Beentherebefore and Doug D like this.
  9. BrianinMpls

BrianinMpls Active Member

The Best things about racing now is the in car camera during the race.

I watched the end of this weeks F1, it was exciting for the back markers or spots 4 -7 dicing to see who who get to the podium, and the in-car footage was very compelling, at the front not so much.

The Indy race was also only compelling via in car cameras of the cars battling behind the leaders, with the front cars pretty much decided.

NASCAR, It was great to see Cole Custer win his first race and the in car footage showed how much of a close thing it was, with a almost crash taking out the front 4 cars.

NASCAR needs soft tires or something to force drivers to drive. Either hang back to make a push at the end or go out blazing, to try and lap the field before your tires give out and you have to pit. The problem is I don't think most drivers have the patience or the guts to do it without crashing the field, while making the pits even more critical to winning a race, but I suppose the cost of tires would make it problematic cost wise.

Road racing, I would kill to see live action (Lee Saunders, Viper for the win!!!) using in car camera to help fans see just how much work goes into each lap. YouTube replay footage is some of the best ways re watch IMSA, Trans Am, etc. action on a rainy night.

Why NHRA hasn't figured out that the future lies in the classes below TF\FC\PS, if your only going 1/8 of a mile, at least let us see\hear a couple shifts, maybe a wheel stand or a handful of wheel being used, before the race is over. Next they'll be pushing e dragsters on us, oh boy!

all IMO

10. LouJC

LouJC Well-Known Member

Right now my favorite is Trans Am just like it was when I was a kid in 1969. There was something about going down to the local Ford and Chevrolet dealers and being able to sit in a 1969 Boss 302 Mustang or 1969 Camaro Z/28 that was really exciting. In person I do also like F1 and have seen the race in Montreal QC many times. I loved drag racing and went into mourning when Raceway Park in NJ closed....NASCAR I will watch but was really turned off by their allowing Toyota in given that they do not produce anything like a muscle car. And please don’t mention the BMW in a very awkward bulging and ill fitting Toyota suit. Camry pace cars killed NASCAR for me.

11. Doug D

I guess you weren't paying attention. NASCAR did have Good Year bring a softer left side tire for this past race at Kentucky. It was soft enough the left front on some cars were showing cords after long green flag runs. The drivers are already running on the ragged edge. If they pushed the car much harder they would either spin out or hit the wall.

In the Friday night Xffinity race there were less than 15 cars on the lead lap (out of 36 or so) at the finish. At one point in the Cup race on Sunday there were less than a dozen cars on the lead lap before several cautions allowed many drivers to get back on the lead lap.

12. dodgeismycar

Toyota doesn't need a pony car just money, and boy do they have and spend money on NASCAR.

13. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

ALong with all the brands that joined nascar as some point or another didn't either. Look at what dodge came back in with and what chevy and ford were running at the time and up until the mustang and ss took over for them

14. chuzz

chuzz Allpar Legacy

I look at golf courses as a waste of good real estate property.

DC-93 and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  15. BrianinMpls

BrianinMpls Active Member

All of your points are valid, but in the cup race, many were caught pitting before a yellow came out, anywise I don't have the answers, I'm just looking for good racing from more than 5 cars, for more than 5% of the race.
    Is it possible to go outside the box and set your car up so differently that you can run a different line with the soft tire that's only .25 mph slower but wont wear out the tire? or is there only 1 way\grove around the track to be competitive.. heck only 10 drivers are competitive week to week anyways.

Just looking to get better racing overall.

16. Doug D

I don't know. I don't set up cars to race. Kentucky is a tricky oval. 17 degree banking in turns 1 & 2 and only 14 degrees in turns 3 and 4. Camber has to be just right or you will blow a tire prematurely. Some cars like Harvick's were trimmed out (rear spoiler laid down within limits) to allow faster speeds on the front and back stretch but poorer handling in the turns. Some teams went the other way. Plus Kentucky is more or less a one groove track though the PJ1 put down in the upper parts of the turns helps with grip. Might have been a groove and a half by the time the race ended with the rubber being laid down throughout the race. 0.25 mph is a big difference - that can mean you are losing valuable milli-seconds every lap.

As to competitiveness - there are 4-5 major teams - Hendrick, Gibbs, Stewart-Haas, Childress and Rousch. The rest are 2nd tier or satellite teams of the big 5. The finish had them going 4 wide for the lead on the last lap with more right on their tails. Can't get much better than that.

BrianinMpls and dodgeismycar like this.
  17. Doug D

I don't agree. I like to play every now and then.

18. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

Tony Stewart and Ray Evernham are going to fix the racing problems with a new series of IROC-like identical cars from an unspecified manufacturer. Haven't seen much detail yet, but apparently it will be carried by CBS, will take place on various types of short tracks in the East half of the USA, and the broadcast will fit in a two hour time frame.

Enough interesting ideas to get my attention, but not enough info to hook me. Keep the bodies stock and I will watch, unless it's a Toyota or other non-performance silhouette. Beyond that, I'm open to the possibility of being convinced...especially if a Hemi Challenger is the car selected! Since both Stewart and Evernham have history with Mopar, it might make economic sense for Dodge.

DC-93 likes this.
  19. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

I dont watch much TV but if watching sports of any kind .. they are all boring to watch, unless the camera angles and reporters make it interesting. Played golf twice in my life and have golfers elbow in both arms ... ha ha but that's not from golfing. The only thing I like about watching outdoor sports is the drinking with buddies.

20. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Ray is building the cars! Lots of 'press' on facebook yesterday.