AF: Wheel base measurement and replacement carpet | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel base measurement and replacement carpet

Discussion in 'Vans' started by 89DODGETBI, Nov 9, 2014.

1. 89DODGETBI

89DODGETBI New Member

Hi All,
    I'm very nearly at the stage when I can put the welder away and start filling and spraying the our 89 B250. The interior which was a Bivouac conversion has suffered over the years and so has to come out, and so I'll be refitting it .
    As such we've been looking at replacement carpet on RockAuto site ( they ship to the UK), and so I have a few questions that I hope you can help with:
    I've measured the van wheel centre to wheel centre and come up with 128 inches, when I look for carpet sets it shows 107, 121 and 147 as available wheelbases. This is under the listing for ACC Essex with mass backing.
    Firstly, what, if anything, am I doing wrong to not get one of these figures - or does the measurement get taken from somewhere else?
    Secondly - has anyone got any experience of this product?
    Lastly what's mass backing? The van has a type of polystyrene in the bed area, but nothing in the driver passenger area. Is it something like this?
    Thanks in advance.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Rockauto's listing must be in error. I see a wheelbase of 127.6" which would be in line with your measurement shown here under 'Dimensions':
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Ram_Van
    I would e-mail them to confirm this wheelbase measurement. They probably have a vendor supply for the carpet that they offer.
    Mass backing may be the padding under the carpet. It is the insulation layer between the floor and carpet.
    http://www.stockinteriors.com/massback.asp
    The padding under the front carpet may have been there at one time, but got wet and was discarded?

3. 89DODGETBI

89DODGETBI New Member

Thank you I'll check with them. I think what threw me was the fact that our van is short behind the rear wheels where other's I've seen pictures of on the net have about an extra 2-3 foot, possibly the 147's?

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The maxi-vans (B350) had the extended overhang in the rear. Their wheelbase was the same as the B250.
    The B150 was the short wheelbase (109.6").
    The wheelbases listed on Rockauto make no sense for the vans. They look like the pickup truck wheelbases instead.

5. 89DODGETBI

89DODGETBI New Member

Thanks that's really helpful, obviously here (England) one of the main problems is trying to identify parts from descriptions as there's no chance of there being another one down the road.:)