Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel has changed position - after strut and control arm job

Discussion in 'Daytona and Laser' started by torgtoe, Sep 27, 2017.

1. torgtoe

torgtoe Active Member

So after 10 hours work i discover that the right wheel has moved outward and forward and hits the fender when turning.
    Background for this was that i have installed a complete new control arm (made in China), and i overhauled the whole strut assembly making sure it was right mounted.
    When i put everthing back again im sure ive done everything right, and when i want to drive the car and i hear noises and i see that the Wheel is not alligned With any thing. Now i cant find out what i have done wrong.
    Can a Control arm from rockauto be wrong measured/made?

The camber work is the same as on left side

It seems like the Control arm is to far forward -

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

In cases like this, I usually get under the car with a tape measurer and compare the left to right sides. The measurement may show you what you can't see by a visual inspection.
    Were the old rubber bushings removed from the crossmember and new ones installed? Are they a different size or shape than the originals?

torgtoe likes this.
  3. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

I think your problem is "made in China". I try to stay as far away as possible from Chinese crap, especially on critical components like brakes, steering and suspension. I agree about measuring both sides. Chrysler did make a control arm change somewhere around 88-89 and the K member changed at the same time.

torgtoe likes this.
  4. torgtoe

torgtoe Active Member

Well - thanks for answers, and yes it sure was the huge washer i had forgot to Mount before the nut on the control-arm bushings- stupid me. I had a terrible night not knowing what was going on With my Tona. I i did not know that this detail could mess up the steering so terrible. Still Learning after all. See ya.

chuzz likes this.