AF: Wheel Skins Jeep Patriot | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel Skins Jeep Patriot

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by AllanC, Oct 3, 2018.

1. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Last year I purchased a used 2016 Jeep Patriot. The vehicle was equipped with the 17 inch sport wheels and while I am happy with the vehicle overall I am NOT fond of the look of the sport wheels.

I have been researching wheel skins that are made to fit over these wheels. Price for a set of 4 is in the $80 - $85 dollar range. Below is an image of what I am considering. Has anyone used wheel skins on a vehicle and have some pros and cons to their application? I am wondering about the durability of the plastic and its ability of the mounting tangs to withstand wheel vibration, jarring, etc without breaking? Do the wheel skins interfere with mounting and dismounting tire to wheel rim?

Wheel Skins 17 inch.gif

2. Lone Renegade

Lone Renegade Active Member

Never heard of them but I really wouldn't trust them. What dont you like about the wheels? You can always spray them with plastidip, you can clean it off when you want. If you want chrome, it would be better to find some for sale.

DC-93 likes this.
  3. Tater's Dad

Tater's Dad Well-Known Member

Dad put a similar set up on their Pontiac Vibe a couple of years ago.... should have taken them off for the winter... they did not survive. Two went missing, the others completely peeled.
    He took them and had them dipped.... still look pretty good 2 years later.
    But I suppose it depends on the quality and your climate.

I preferred the wheels that we had on our 2010 over the ones on the newer models.

4. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Lots of different on-line vendors selling these particular wheel skins. Sometimes I think it is the same manufacturer with exact, same product but multiple retailers with a wide price variance for the same item.

Ads say chrome plated which is a bit misleading. I believe the correct definition would be chrome plated imitation which means a shiny mylar film coating that looks like chrome over plastic. How well that holds up to road debris and moisture and other contaminants only time will tell. If I can find 4 covers at a low enough price I just might indulge myself and experiment.

Thanks for the replies.

RonGD likes this.
  5. RonGD

RonGD Member

I was looking at skins for my Pat. Amazon had some a few days back for 17", $85 for them. Yeah I would think about getting them to turn the wheels matte black, but without any feedback on their use, issues, etc., I am keeping the $85 in the wallet.

6. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

Some of the Chargers and Challengers came OEM with these skins. Look good until you get close up and can tell it's basically a plastic hubcap over the alloy wheel. I could see how if you wanted a very shiny chrome wheel, the skin would probably be cheaper/more practical. But it's still covering up an alloy wheel, which makes me think why?

7. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Cost.

8. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

Yes, its cheaper than chrome plating an aluminum alloy wheel, which also can have reliability/durability problems....
    But, I just don't see how someone would NOT prefer a nice silver (or the many variations of silver/grey/metal colors) painted alloy wheel than a fake plastic Chrome cover over the alloy wheel....

9. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

This really just comes down to individual likes and dislikes. We all are different in these subtle ways and that is OK. Myself I prefer a shiny wheel cover or wheel versus the cast aluminum which has a textured surface, non-shiny look. But most would probably go for the cast aluminum wheel.

Now to add some more discussion or contention? Let's go back about 50+ years and view a dress up wheel option. Both vehicles displayed are 1966 Ford Mustang convertibles. Which wheel effect to you like better and why? Simulated wire wheel option or cast style steel wheel option?

Wheel Cover Comparison.jpg

10. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Well, 50 years ago, you'd drive the car year round in the winter, getting road salt all over everything.
    The styled wheels and lug nuts would rust.
    The stainless wire covers would not. No brainer as to what you'd want.