AF: Wheels for a champagne colored '87 600se | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheels for a champagne colored '87 600se

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by dc8flyer, Jan 15, 2020.

1. dc8flyer

dc8flyer Well-Known Member

What style and color, etc..., would look good on this car.

I'm looking for something other than the steel wheel and hubcap.

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Steel wheels in 14 and 15 inch are almost impossible to get now. So an aluminum alloy that's not an extreme ratio (like 50 series or less) would probably look good.

3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

It depends a lot on taste.
    Traditionally a car like that would have a chrome wheel or a polished aluminum one.
    Now everyone wants flat black or gloss black wheels.

4. dc8flyer

I think I would like a chrome and black mix with the chrome not being too much or flashy. Perhaps the black being the prime feature lined by chrome.

I've looked at a lot recently and there are few good choices with a 14 inch wheel. I came across this site but not familiar with the wheel width and bolt pattern size. All I know is it is a 14 inch wheel with five bolts.

Anyone know the wheel width and bolt pattern size? I'm thinking that a more closed wheel would be better than one that has spokes to the point you see more of the inside fender than wheel. There isn't much to look at beyond the wheel itself.

Thanks.

Search for Wheels by Size - Performance Plus Tire (at https://www.performanceplustire.com/wheels-by-size/ )

5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The factory wheel is 5x100mm bolt pattern.
    The factory wheel width is 5.5" and you can easily go a little wider, but you have to watch offset was well as width.

6. dc8flyer

7. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Nope. I'm sticking with the Keystones! LOL It's all a matter of personal taste. I had the Keystones on two different Darts I owned. One was a 70 and the other a 73.

8. dc8flyer

Show me an "for example." Cause I ain't hav'n no luck...

9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Keystone Classics are a dished wheel. They are for RWD cars, too much offset for a FWD car.

chuzz likes this.
  10. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Thanks for that information, Mark. I had no idea they won't work on a K car. That stinks.

11. dc8flyer

Still looking and keep coming up with more terminology.

Backspacing. I figured out what it means but do you know what the 1987 Dodge 600se wheel backspace is? There aren't any 5.5 inch dia wheels. Would six inch wide wheels fall into your "a little wider" category?

So far this page lists all the 14 inch wheels I could find. It is a mix of offset, backspace, etc.. Never new the wheel was so complicated.

Buy Wheel Size 14x6 (at https://www.performanceplustire.com/products/ws:14x6/ )

12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

You should be fine with a 14x6 wheel.
    I don't know what the offset and backspace are on a factory wheel and I don't have one to measure. hopefully someone will chime in.
    But you will begin to see that the FWD (high offset) wheels will be somewhere around 40mm while the RWD ones will have a small, if any, offset.

@Bob Lincoln did a nice write up here for his Daytona when he replaced the wheels on it. Maybe he will chime in on this.
    Installing New Aftermarket Wheels (at https://www.allpar.com/fix/body/wheels/index.html )

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  13. dc8flyer

Ok,

I'm told this wheel has an offset between 35-40mm and a six inch wide rim will work. There are only four available that will work with this car.

The first four (533, AR919 black, AR919 silver, and 772) are the only choices.

My only two remaining questions are how much and bad will the rusty drum cover or brake caliper look and which do you think is the best set for that Champagne color car?

Buy Wheel Size 14x6, Wheels/Rims with Bolt Pattern 5x100 (at https://www.performanceplustire.com/products/of:+35-+40:ws:14x6:bp:5x100/ )

14. dc8flyer

Well, these are the wheels. Next week to paint then restore is complete.

Attached Files:

15. valiant67

valiant67 ...

That style reminds me very much of the wheels that came from the factory on my 1999 Dakota R/T.

I think you made a good choice.

16. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Not bad!!

I have a similarly colored 1988 LeBaron sedan I'm going to try a set of Laser Wagon wheels on.

Thanks
    Randy