AF: WHEELS!!!! what to replace them with????!!!!!! | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHEELS!!!! what to replace them with????!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Dodge Dart / Viaggio' started by chilibowl, Oct 30, 2019.

?

Would You buy a Dart -if it had aStaion Wagon option??? Like the 1960,s???

1. yes

42.9%
  2. no

57.1%
  3. Possibly -if reliable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. chilibowl

chilibowl Active Member

OK -posting here again - subject is my Wifes" 2013 dodge dart Sxt ~~~~~~

Has those Damn -troublesome Alloy wheels - always loosing tire pressure and Price of those tyres are Expensive!!!!

is there any Steel Rim Alternative<s> to these showy but Unpractical Alloyed Spked wheels???

I remember the days when U could swap wheels froma Ford to a Chrysler , but thats No more!!! <the age of auotmotive relics<1970,s>. ~ regards -stu -chilibowl

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

There were Darts built with steel wheels.

DC-93 likes this.
  3. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Just buy some. Try ebay or dealer or a junk yard.

Tony K likes this.
  4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I would trade you. I have a 2013 with steel wheels.

5. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

I buy my steel wheels from the dealer cheaper than anywhere else... but those are for winter tyres...ugly black steel rims.

Tony K likes this.
  6. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Why are they losing pressure?

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  7. Shane Estabrooks

All has to do with molecules, density and temperatures. Also the reason some use Nitrogen to fill there tires with. Alloy rims are notorious for it ... my wife's Jeep has one rim out of 4 that always loses air.. slowly but has no nail and nothing wrong with the stem. Alloy rims are very porous compared to Steel rims.

8. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

It is a problem in areas where they salt the roads in winter. Salt corrodes aluminum at the tire bead and where the valve stem is mounted in the rim.
    I have a spray bottle of soapy water that I spray around the tire and wheel looking for white foam or small bubbles to appear. It will help locate the leaks.
    The tire has to be dismounted and the rim corrosion (Aluminum Oxide) cleaned up with a Roloc® (Scotchbrite) disc. The corrosion gets under the clearcoat and appears as a white powder. Used aluminum wheels from the South or West generally don't have corrosion issues.
    There is a local guy who gets used local rims, sandblasts and re-clearcoats them. He does a good business with the used car dealers as weathered rims can make an otherwise clean car look old and sad.
    Bead sealer can be applied to the tire bead and new valve stem to seal the mating surfaces. I like the soft, waxy-type bead sealer as it isn't as messy as the black tar-like sealer.
    The rim shouldn't leak again for the life of the tires, if it is done properly.

As for a Dodge Dart wagon, the hatchback does have more room than it looks from the outside. A Dart-like CUV (not like the Caliber) would probably do well. The Pacifica-based minivan Voyager and Journey are currently filling the mid-size wagon niche. Renegade, Compass and Cherokee are selling well.

Tony K and tlc like this.
  9. chilibowl

chilibowl Active Member

SO what size Tyre would be standard on those Steel Rims for our 2013 Dodge Dart sxt?? -- I imagine a 16"--- I wanna stay away from 17~inchers!!!!!

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  10. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Any tire shop worth their alignment rack should be able to get your tires to seal to those alloys.

what Imp’crown said.

DC-93 and Tony K like this.
  11. Shane Estabrooks

On my sons Dart we went with 16" steel rims and winter tyres.. His standard tire is a 17"

Tony K likes this.