AF: When will we know more about the 2015 Compass? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When will we know more about the 2015 Compass?

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by assadour, Jan 3, 2014.

1. assadour

Supporter

Will there be more information at one of the auto shows this year? Anyone heard anything recently?

2. e1999eternal

e1999eternal Active Member

I was just about to ask a similar question. I seem to be confused.

Is there going to be an all-new Compass revealed in calendar 2014 or 2015, and if so, when?

All I keep hearing about is the B-Jeep, which is debuting in Geneva.

3. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

I would think we'd hear something soon since they don't appear to plan on building 2015 versions of the current twins. Unless they think the B Jeep and Cherokee can fill the gap temporarily.

4. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

The numbers I see pose a quandary. Compass and Patriot sales, together, were 9645 in January 2014. That's slightly more than Wrangler sales and fewer than KL Cherokee sales for the same month. I seriously doubt that Wrangler and Cherokee would have gotten many of those sales if the Compass and Patriot had not been there. FCA is probably better off keeping one or both until their replacement(s) are ready to hit dealers' lots. If the new model(s) take as long to debug as did the KL Cherokee we might realistically be looking at late 2015 or mid-2016.

It may be either continue the current models or concede 5,000 to 7,000 sales each month to competitors.

5. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Lately Compass styling has improved. I do see some more of them on the road with their baby WJ looks, but sales have been slow. The dealer was unable to deal on them, the Patriot and last Liberty were a better buy. Perceived quality and materials have vastly improved.
    They are getting a bit long in the tooth and need updating. The MK has been around since 2006 when the similar Caliber (PM) came out. Not that the Compass and Caliber were bad cars, just not great cars and I think they may have a pre-bankruptcy stigma about them that won't go away until a new model comes out.
    It would make sense to base it closely to the world Fiat B-Jeep. If similar enough to the Dart, it would also make sense to keep it on the Belvedere assembly line.
    Maybe capable enough to compete with Subaru sales? Maybe the name can be salvaged? Maybe a related small AWD Dodge wagon will return?

6. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

IMHO, I wouldn't own the CVT vehicles that the Patriot,Compass and Caliber have. My daughter bought a 2012 Compass with the 2.0 and after driving it, I can see why she says it is a dog compared to her old Honda CRV. Now in the 2014 form with 2.4 eng and 6 speed trans, I would like to drive one to see the big difference. Driveability, Power, Handling and Price go hand in hand when comparing vehicles against each other. My niece just purchased her second Subaru Outback where she lives in New Hampshire. She is a Mail carrier and needs the AWD and her last Outback went close to 300,000 miles before rusting out. Had 1 transmission replaced.

7. link3721

Five years driving the 2.4 with CVT, have no issues with the transmission. The issue is the engine needing the high rpms if you want aggressive performance. Doesn't really matter if it's in drive or using the autostick mode. I don't think the 6 speed helps in that regard. A turbo 4 or diesel would greatly help the drivetrain issues. Other than that, a refresh of the interior and exterior and the MKs become viable competitors. A low range would also be a plus.

8. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Freedom-drive IIĀ® has been expanded to Compass. It used to be only available on Patriot. This has helped Compass become 'Trail-RatedĀ®'.
    The CVT takes getting used to. I grew up used to transmissions shifting in steps. The CVT feels eerily like it is slipping, but it isn't. The engine will race up to the torque band and stay there, that's normal. Under light-to-moderate acceleration, the ratio change is smooth and progressive. It feels much like a snowmobile transmission.
    My Caliber has CVT and I wish the software calibration was better, but it is what it is. It has been dependable and returns 38 mpg highway with the 2.0L. The CVT2L is the only way to get the 19:1 crawler ratio for now. I do agree that the business case for offering CVT is dead.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEZH6ZBPt4U

9. link3721

I wouldn't say dead, but the difference between the 9spd and a more updated CVT is probably negligible. Though as long as they can produce enough 9spds, I don't see them using another automatic.

10. sonico

sonico New Member

Would there be a 9speeds transmission on compatriot?

Trailhawk or am I dreaming?

What are the changes or BU got to replace both vehicles?

11. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

From what I have heard, the 9sp is the transmission for ALL. FWD based vehicles.
    I'd expect a Trailhawk, simply because Trailhawk is their current trim level for all trail rated Jeeps.
    ComPatriot should be larger than Renegade, hopefully have more utility than KL, and be more Jeeplike in appearance, plus, it will be American Made, not imported.
    Renegade will not likely be a volume brand in the US...unless it flops worldwide and they need a place to unload it. I expect it to do well here, if they price it correctly and ship enough here.

12. link3721

Since the Cherokee and Renegade both have the 9spd, it's probably safe to say the ComPatriot replacement will have it as well, and probably no real manual option.
    Same goes for the Trailhawk version.
    No real info on changes yet, although rumor is the styling will be more Renegade than Cherokee.

And Norm posted just before I did...oh well.

13. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

I would hope that ComPatriot has more in common, look wise, with Patriot, and Renegade, than with Compass.
    There may be a manual, if they offer the Italian 4 banger.

14. link3721

I hope so too, though I want to get a Wrangler before replacing my Patriot.

I figure that'd what they'll do transmission-wise, wish it was an option on the 2.4...

15. sonico

sonico New Member

I can recall mr. Ralph, that a new family or update is coming to the 4 cylinder crew.

Since the are under development and we have no words on specifications about ComPatriot... Could it be that we might see the new 4 banger on jeep by that time? (is said it will be on Dart refresh)

Can't wait

Note: Saw renegade in person... I love it!!! Whish kl had those sexy sexy lines

16. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

I haven't heard of a time line for the 4 cylinder. The ComPatriot seems to be late Fall, or next Spring. Likely later.

17. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

Since the Tigershark version gets a little more power and torque than the WGE by freer breathing and winding about 250 rpm faster I wouldn't expect a whole lot more out of a normally-aspirated four. A turbocharged 2.4 might require a substantially stronger (heavier) block, lower end, and heads to handle the torque and combustion pressures.

Most of us don't wind our engines anywhere near the redline unless we're at the race track or merging with freeway traffic with a CVT.

18. Sarkus

Sarkus New Member

Allpar says those new engines are "18 months away," which would be a long time between the presumed end of Compass and Patriot production this year and then. Remember, 2016 is supposed to be the big Wrangler refresh, so I don't think they will launch anything else around that time. I think its more likely they will use the Tigershark engine in the Compass/Patriot successor, especially since they are using it in the Dart (produced in the same factory as Compass/Patriot and likely where the replacement will also be built since it will be Dart-platform based) and in the Cherokee. The whole point of the MK class vehicles is to be relatively cheap to manufacture, so I see them using off the shelf stuff rather then use them to try out a new design.

19. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

That would be unfortunate, because frankly, the CUSW is a dead end for Jeep use. It was a stop gap cheap to manufacturer Alfa Platform, meant to bring a product to market quickly and cheaply. (Both of which it failed at)
    I would hope the Compatriot is more along the lines of Renegade and more Jeeper useable than the KL.

20. Sarkus

Sarkus New Member

It may be unfortunate from your perspective, but the Cherokee KL just sold 15,000+ units last month and is CUSW based. From Jeep's point of view a ComPatriot that used bits and pieces from the existing Dart and Cherokee variations on that platform would make a ton of sense, just like the Compass and Patriot cross with their platform mate, the Caliber, made sense. By definition the Compass, Patriot, ComPatriot, and Cherokee KL are car based crossovers not meant to offer the off-road capabilities of the Wranglers or whatever classic Jeep you reference to. So I have zero expectation that the ComPatriot will be some sort of small Wrangler-esque off road capable SUV. It's going to be another crossover/SUV.

RonGD likes this.