AF: When will we know more about the 2015 Compass? | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When will we know more about the 2015 Compass?

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by assadour, Jan 3, 2014.

1. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Sales do not equal Jeep Capability. Sales can be garnered with a quality Dodge or Chrysler offering.
    Before we waste bandwidth, rehashing the past, and in deference to your post count, I respectfully suggest you read the first post in the "Death of Jeep?" Thread. There is no need to rehash the thousands of posts there, again in this thread.
    Using car based platforms and then trying to make Jeeps out of them is expensive and results in poor quality cars AND poor quality Jeeps.

2. Sarkus

Sarkus New Member

I'm not arguing with your perspective, but simply noting that realistically the ComPatriot is not going to be any more a Jeep then the Cherokee KL is. For better or worse, Jeep is the SUV branch of the Chrysler line-up, just like Ram is the truck branch, and so you won't see much in the way of SUVs from Dodge or Chrysler in the future. That is why they've been consolidating dealerships into Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep-Ram all in one dealership locations, because each brand is going to provide a different lineup of vehicles. So Jeep will be providing the vehicle that competes against the popular light capability offering from Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc. As with the current Patriot, Jeeps will likely be better then those in terms of their off the road capabilities, but the idea that Jeep will return to a world where they only produce trail worthy vehicles is not very likely to happen anytime soon.

RonGD and floridaman2013 like this.
  3. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Which is a point I have never made. I'm not predicting they will do other wise, simply stating, as my opinion, that it's unfortunate.
    Ideally Jeep needs it's own platform, so it can get away from the Daimler and Fiat mandated architecture.
    Will it happen? Probably not, my point being you DO see SUV and CUV's from Dodge (Durango and Journey) and one is rumored from Chrysler (a Pacifica type Lifestyle "van")
    Using Alfa architecture and placing a Jeep nameplate upon it is a disservice to Jeep and no more cost effective for Jeep than starting it's own platform and architecture from scratch. (It took an additional year to tweak KL and tune and refine the transmission/transaxle, costing millions in lost sales.)

The only beneficiary in the CUSW deal is utilizing Alfa platform development costs, there isn't much other benefit. At some point in time, the company should be profitable enough, to enable the most popular nameplate, which is Jeep, to have it's own architecture and not be forced to spend huge R&D monies adapting short armed FWD architecture to Jeeps with complicated and fragile traction systems like the PTU. The fact that the Renegade doesn't use the PTU and that few KL's are optioned that way speaks,for itself.

4. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Just to ad, take a look at the Fiat Convertible thread in the Fiat section. A US version of the 1.4, mounted N-S. not a perfect solution, but a workable one, to create a compact Jeep from shared Fiat architecture and it's what FCA should be looking at.
    The timing earlier was not right when the KL was conceived and M's Jeep knowledge was low.
    Perhaps now that they have some "breathing room" they can do it right.

5. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Except that the vehicle references isn't "Fiat architecture" at all. It's Mazda.

While I can agree with an N-S layout perhaps being preferable for a Jeep, I'm not all that certain I would want a Jeep based off a Miata.

6. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Ha! Nor did I say use a Miata. Im saying, IF M thinks shared architecture is the only way to cost effectively bring models to market, a N-S architecture, is the way to do it, at Jeep.
    That engine IS the US version of the FCA 1.4 and it is N-S. whether it could be used that way, is a function of the contract language between FCA and Mazda.
    Just as the KL isn't 100% Alfa, neither would a compact Jeep platform using a N-S layout be 100% (or even 5%) Mazda.
    It is simply a way to maximize engineering R&D.
    Frankly, I don't think Jeep benefits that much from the CUSW, as there are so many changes that need to be made to adapt it to Jeep use and so many corners they are painted into trying to make adapted architecture and parts work under a Jeep.
    If I were King, Jeep would have its own parts and architecture. And the shared platforms would only serve to allow plants product flexibility.

7. Sarkus

Sarkus New Member

As the five year plan reveals show, it looks like Compass and Patriot are getting at least one more model year, if not two. The chart shows their replacement coming in mid-2016, though whether that refers to the calendar year or the model year isn't clear. Either way, I'd guess the 2015s won't be much different then the 2014s unless Jeep goes to the trouble of mating the 6 speed auto to the trail rated package for one or two more years of production.

8. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Historically, at least under M, the 2016 calendar year, will likely mean the 2017 model year.
    The current Patriot has come a long way from the original miserable offering from Daimler, but you can only improve it so much without scrapping it and starting from scratch.
    I'm hoping for a more Renegade like upgrade and less of a KL influence.
    Keep the XJ like proportions, but bring the interior up to today's standards, while retaining a traditional Jeep front end.
    The KL could be selling a lot more per month if it had a more traditional Jeep front. Whoever thought the KL was cutting edge, needs to submit their résumé to Nissan.

9. browens1534

browens1534 Well-Known Member

I will say I LOVE my 09 Patriot! It's not 100% perfect, but I bought it used. I looked at an 08.. The interior I could live with, but the first refresh! Yes it made the little trucklet. I've had people ask me "What is that, I've never seen one!" "Wow, you got a BRAND new car?" They're shocked when I tell them it's an 09.. And the Patriot has been around for 7 years..

RonGD, MoparNorm and floridaman2013 like this.
  10. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

That just goes to show you how much people notice some vehicles today. Most are so busy working and raising families that they don't pay any attention to vehicles until they are ready to but one!

RonGD likes this.
  11. RonGD

RonGD Member

Mid '16 Compass/Patriot leave and replaced by a single platform. My question is if there will be a '16 Pat/Com or will Jeep just push '15 models? It appears, at this time, Belvedere will be making the replacement. Patriot sales are up again for calendar year 2014, see if the momentum can continue, as I think Jeep will start to offer creative financing in order to keep Pat/Com stock moving during this final year.

12. RonGD

RonGD Member

Then today I read here at Allpar about an update to Compass based on the Fiat platform, and have read that Patriots' replacement is the Renegade.

13. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Looks like you bought yours, just in time.

RonGD likes this.
  14. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

I still like my '13 Patriot, but boy the suspension issues are just so... wearing. If you'll pardon the expression.

dmcdonald likes this.
  15. RonGD

RonGD Member

What's going on with your Pat?

16. gforce2002

It was actually really good up until about the 50k km mark, and then the usual suspension issues associated with the Caliber/Compass/Patriot started to show up. I had hoped, given the many improvements after the 2011 update that they had squashed some of those bugs, but I guess not.

I'd have to get the work orders to see them all exactly, but the usual rear toe links, lower controls arms, sway bar bushings type things have already happened. Right now, there is an odd creak/crunk noise coming from the right front that the dealer can't seem to trace down. It doesn't help that it's not consistent and when they try to duplicate it on a test drive, it doesn't happen. It seems to be temperature/humidity dependent, which seems to indicate to me that it is a bushing and issue and not that something is actually loose.

Anyway, it's only about 250 kms from the end of the warranty, so I hope they find it soon! I'm taking it Monday to the dealer and the actual mechanic is going to go on a test drive with me there to see if they can hear it. He had done that with me before and we couldn't duplicate it, but he did tell me that mine was actually one of the quietest suspensions he's heard in one of these for ages! I don't think he had a high opinion of them.

Sigh.

17. RonGD

RonGD Member

Well post the final results of the test with the mechanic....

18. gforce2002

Went out with the mechanic today, and of course today it wouldn't make the noise. Drat. He also seemed very stressed to get back to the shop, so we didn't go very far.

RonGD likes this.
  19. RonGD

RonGD Member

So the plan now is? Can't you record the sound when it comes up during driving and play it back for the tech?

20. gforce2002

Not sure at this point. Because the problem does seem to be weather dependent, it doesn't always do it. To record it, I would have something recording all the time, which isn't going to happen. I'll just have to wait and see, I guess. In any case, the odometer just rolled past the end of the warranty today, so there's no more urgency.

RonGD likes this.