AF: Where are the designers? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are the designers?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Vet101, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Vet101

Vet101 Member

It has been awhile since I posted any comment, but I'm getting aggravated by the day that no new designs are out for Dodge and Chrysler. What happened! Did all the Design Engineers leave for KIA?
    Getting tiresome just getting New Colors and Special Editions on an old design that should have changes 5yrs ago. And stop with increasing horsepower that still can not beat a turbo 6 cylinder.
    There I said it. Now everyone can make excuses for FCA.

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Perhaps some of the designers took offense to how they were treated after Sergio's Chrysler 200 comments and left.
    Or perhaps the designers have been busy designing and redesigning products that are constantly delayed or cancelled.

3. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Ralph said that's exactly what happened a few years back.

UN4GTBL and eaglecars like this.
  4. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Fca has kept a lot of their higher up designers but some of the younger ones (mostly jeep) moved to Rivian. The Korean brands took a ton of german designers

5. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

They all have become graphic designers in charge of sticker editions.

UN4GTBL, oruandy, Suhail and 13 others like this.
  6. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

When I want opinions on MOPAR cars. I ask the 5 under 25 gearheads I know. These kind of folks are the future. You either adapt to them or die as a company.

First the BIG surprise. 3 of them unsolicited asked for revival of the Imperial line. They liked the styling and luxury. Seems like a niche brand that FCA could move into with 3 cars.

They like the big SUV's but prices are scaring them. Get the Cherokee's prices lower to get the younger generations in.

The resident Truck person is a girl and I asked her about the new Dakota. She said it can't be a rehash of a Ram. It also can't be a Ridgeline type truck. It has to be unique for her generation to say hey. Her direct comment was the last generation of Dakota was a brick.

I'm a old guy so I ask the young folks what they see.

7. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

FUNCTION BEFORE STYLE....It should be Caravan base, better and cheaper then the ridgeline!

Suhail likes this.
  8. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

They don't need designers. Now they just hold a design contest every now and then and there you go.

9. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

If you can draw a grille with 7 slots and square fenders...yer hired!

10. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Basically. There's what, three basic Jeep styling configurations? And then RAM is just variations on grilles and bumpers (do you like chrome, black plastic, or body matching?).

Cost savings tip: Don't need designers if you don't plan on designing any new cars.

UN4GTBL, willy4110, Ernesto and 8 others like this.
  11. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

She's spot on on the Dakota.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  12. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

In Italy?

Suhail and Citation84 like this.
  13. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

And...the ones that didn't make it with the Koreans and Rivian are now designing website CGI images / renders of assorted items of vapourware for Nikola Motors.:p:D

14. hotmach

hotmach Not an insider !

Ha, you beat me.
    Its where the only product action is.

15. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

It was a joke. I wasn't serious.

For sure US is getting equal number if not more products than Italy.

From the 2017 through today FCA Italy got exactly zero new products.
    I think that Alfa Stelvio was the last one
    AFAIK FCA US got at least three new if not four new after the Stelvio was launched.

aldo90731 and ScramFan like this.
  16. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

If you watch any of the restoration shows, 60's, 70's, even some 80's luxo barges are a big thing right now, Cadillacs, Olds 98, Buick 225's, Newports, New Yorkers, and Lincolns as well as big Mercury's. There are any number of us here who think there is a definite market for a large luxurious car in North America. Do it right and Chrysler could own that segment, just like they did with minivans and convertibles in the Iaccoca years.

Citation84 likes this.
  17. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

They should get all the product they can. That's where the money is being made for the whole company.

jimboy likes this.
  18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

It would be nice to see a car that isn't compromised. The 300 doesn't have quite the easy entry/exit for older people the Grand Marquis/Lincoln had. Ditto with the ease of use of the trunk.
    It's too bad Lincoln didn't select a bold upright style for Continental (more like their SUVs and less like a blob sedan).
    It's too bad 300 doesn't take its strengths and make a roomier back seat, an easier to use trunk, and maybe get a little more light into the interior.

it's one thing to say sedan sales are dying, it's something different to admit companies have killed a lot of the utility of a sedan and forced people into CUVs and SUVs. Until someone tries a more traditional, easy to enter/exit sedan with decent cargo space, we won't know if there is a demand or not. I suspect in time, CUV-fatigue will set in.

19. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

Soon moving to France. Qui quiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.

20. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

They had that opportunity for a decade and a half with the 300. Good grief they might have dusted off the Magnum dies and created a niche Imperial shooting brake.
    FCA could have owned that segment and never took advantage of it cause "muh mainstream brand". Massive marketing failure.

Suhail and 77 Monaco Brougham like this.