Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where Did You Find Your Daytona?

Discussion in 'GFAQ: G-Body Frequently Asked Questions' started by TurboPacifica, Dec 3, 2004.

1. muxidarkchild

muxidarkchild Member

Mine was free, I got it about a week ago, I'm in love with it, I wanted a project car that ran, just needed work, well thats what i got, the engine is sound, the tranny is just fine, the interior is decent, but its been hit and bent the front of the frame just a little bit, so the guy gave it to me. Its got some issues, like the hood doesnt line up with the fenders, the front clip doesnt line up with the headlights, but i'm sure that all can be fixed, Its got a grey gasssy smeeling smoke, gas is to rich, but other then that its in good condition.....more body damage then mechanical. So long story short for free i'm not complaining...lol

i've had about 11 cars and i'm just now 22.....lol this one has been my favorite so far.

2. crashcourse

crashcourse Member

I bought mine from a guy that runs a garage out of his front yard. prior owner was the sole owner got tired of the car for some reason solde it to him. I bought it for 1500 in 2000 and really other then the occasional electrical gremlin haven't had any trouble with it since. the latest electrical gremlin is I can't pu;; codes which is annoying. Ever since the pack rat decided to set up a nest under my hood and chewed up a couple of wires my elctronics hasn't been the same. but she still runs pretty and has that lovely turbo kick when I drive to work about once a week.

3. 68SportFury

68SportFury Member

I found mine on the lot at Tate Dodge of Annapolis, lined up against the fence with three others just like it. MY '86 Charger needed $500 worth of work to get the A/C working again and I reeeeally wanted a Daytona ES with a 2.5 and a 5-speed.
    That was April 27, 1991. Fifteen years and 189,000 miles later, I'm still driving it every other day.

4. crazychicken

crazychicken New Member

I was very fortunate indeed!! My wife's uncle gave me my Daytona when I moved back to the city that I live in now. It was sitting for about 2 years as it was needing a bit of repair. He said if I could come up the bank (money) for insurance, the car was all mine. All I needed to do was repay him back for the new battery he bought.

His dad bought the car new in '91 for about $16,000 CAD. I still have the invoice and the options sheet with it. So that would make me the 3rd owner. The car has had about $4000 worth of repairs put into the car, so that is one of the reasons my wife's uncle wanted to get rid of it. It still does need of lot of work, but the body and the drivetrain are pretty solid. The paint is peeling and the roof is covered in surface rust. I can't wait to do that work!!

I had never owned a Daytona before and didn't think much of it when I first got the car. After I insured it and drove it for a while, the 'tona really grew on me. It has been a good performer as the engine is still very strong. I still have not had a chance to look underneath, but I am pretty excited to work on this car. The only thing I hate is that it is a little harder to get parts for them.

Other than that, I love my car!!!

5. J Park

J Park Guest

I ordered a brand-new 1985 in the summer of 1985. My dealer (the owner and only salesman!) called me back and said the '85s were done, and I'd have to wait a month and order an '86.

So I ordered a base model '86 with the then-new 2.5, 5-speed, Garnett Red Metallic, tan interior, the best cassette stereo (with 5-band EQ and joystick fade/balance), rear window wiper/washer, light group, air, and a few other things.

It was literally perfect until around Thanksgiving '86, when it simply died on the way to work. That would happen four more times until I sold the car in August, 1988. Each time, my dealer flat-bedded my car to the dealership and replaced the engine computer. The last time, they found a loose ground lug that was causing the problem.

I also had an alternator die after a year, and the fuel injector was replaced as part of a recall.

I wish I had kept it, like you did. I did a CarFax on it, but the last record of it is from 1994, somewhere in Ohio.

6. Bob ONeill

Bob ONeill 325,000+ miles and counting...
    Level 2 Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Do you have another Daytona now?

7. J Park

J Park Guest

Thanks!

I bought a '93 Emerald Green ES V6 5-speed brand-new from the same dealer in 10/92, but sold that in 5/97.

That car is somewhere in South Dakota with over 200,000 miles on it.

I really want to find another one. I had a bid on a '93 IROC R/T on eBay a few months ago, but I missed the end of the auction. It was Emerald Green, and it looked perfect. I think that's the generation ('92-'93) that I'm looking for again, but I'd sure take back my '86 if I could.

My '86:
    [​IMG]

My '93:
    [​IMG]

8. Bob ONeill

Level 2 Supporter

Where are you located? If you're looking for a project car the Daytona is a great one. I'm looking for another '86 myself.

9. J Park

J Park Guest

Buffalo, NY, but we get to Sarasota several times each year. We just got back on Sunday!

Yeah, I remember how easy the Daytona was to work on---both the '86 and '93. And parts are still everywhere.

I tried to find one down there, but no luck...

10. Bob ONeill

Level 2 Supporter

Come to Carlisle. A bunch of the Allpar 'club' will be there. I'm planning to be there and I'm bringing the 'tona.

11. J Park

J Park Guest

When?

12. Bob ONeill

Level 2 Supporter

In the green box at the top of the page you'll find lots of details. The when is July 7 - 8 - 9.

13. J Park

J Park Guest

Thanks! I just might do that!

14. herrisdevio

herrisdevio Active Member

i got my 87' from a dealer for like 1300 besides a minor oil leak its like bran new came with the origanal owners manual Heck of alot of extras acording to the manual the only real major thing it dont have is the nav comp i have loved the daytona sence i saw a 91' on a lot and was a mopar fan from birth this will be my secund dodge car ive owned.

15. SpeedyDaytona

SpeedyDaytona Member

These are great stories!

I bought my first Daytona from a used car dealer in Pembroke, NH, who had sold me my first car- a Turismo (which was a great car, as well). The Turismo, as I recall, developed some head gasket problems- and, being in college, living in an apartment, I was in no shape to do the work myself. So, I traded it in on the Daytona. That one was a red/orange, base '88, 2.2 liter. With a sunroof, though.

That Daytona got written off in a head-on wreck. I only had it a couple of years. Once I had my insurance check in hand, I went searching for another Daytona- having liked my previous two cars quite a bit. Y'gotta admit, they are a nice blend of "efficient sportyness" and "everyday utility". They look cool, they're fairly sprightly, and with the rear seats down, you can haul around a lot of stuff.

I had just started my skateboard company, so I had some extra wad to blow. I heard of a guy about 20 miles away that had a boneyard- and, apparently, all he did was dabble in buying and rebuilding Mopar stuff. So, I went to see him, and he had about 10 Daytonas in various states of rebuild. Love at first sight, right here, boys. However, none of the 'Tonas really liked me- or, maybe, I didn't really like them.

Out in the boneyard, I found a platinum-colored Pacifica... untouched since it's front-end hit and fire. Sad, sad shape. However, inside was the unmistakable Turbo gauge, and I could see all the power goodies- seats, windows, the on-board trip computer thingamajig.... interesting. So, I asked him if he could rebuild that one. He looked doubtful, so he quoted me the "outrageous" quote of 3 grand. I paid the man, and had him get crackin' on it.

This was to become my beloved "Speedy" (the previous cars having been the "Mach One" and "Mach 5", respectively)

Speedy became a study in maddening excess- from both my, and my girlfriends' point of view. My 3 grand got me a straightened, running, and painted '88 Pacifica. It did NOT buy me any interior work being finished, or any other niceties outside of the engine working and the new body panels and paint. The air conditioning was so maddening, it got ixnayed within a month- saved some weight there. The on-board computer worked for almost a year, and the radio I never even bothered turning on ('cuz it never worked, either). Just keeping it in gas, and running well, cost me far more than enough. Coupled with my keen ability to wreck clutches and CV joints on a rapid and regular basis (lead foot, buddy!), my girlfriend lamented that this car ws starving her of an engagement ring and a dream wedding...

However, Speedy was my best friend and watchful eye whenever I'd go on the road to support my skateboard company. I never, ever got stranded in Speedy- ever. Sure, he died a couple of times pulling into the driveway- but that counts as "getting me home", and for that, I'm forever grateful to 'Ol Ornery/'Ol Reliable (depending on my mood of the day!)

Speedy has over 307,000 miles on him. He has toasted three engines, about 15 clutches, maybe 50 CV's, drive tires last a whopping 5,000 miles or so, and lays down some very good times at the track- or, more often, leaves a lot of guys crying at stop lights. Speedy has also gotten me my fair share of speeding/reckless driving tickets. My best one was 139 mph on Route 9 in NH. The statey pulled me over, and asked "Y'know how fast you were going?", and I said, "No, but couldya tell me?! I'm curious as Heck, the speedo only reads up to 130!" He looked at Speedy like, "In this thing?!" I gave him a tour under the hood- must've looked a little odd to the passers by- and, in return, he bumped my ticket down to 84 in a 55. Whoever that was- thank you!!

Daytonas have reps, to the uninitiated, as being pseudo-sports cars, or "wannabe" muscle cars. 4-bangers and "muscle car" don't easily go hand in hand. Some say that they were even crappy cars, which explains my stoplight escapades. However, I absolutely adore my beloved Speedy- and, we're still together after 13 years. He's in the shop, of course. Some things never change...

People ask me how much cash I've dumped into Speedy over the years. Oh, maybe 50, 60 grand or so... but, I lost count. I long ago stopped saving reciepts and tallying up cash spent, as I knew I would never, ever, EVER sell this car. Sure, maybe I could've bought something more "impressive" with the cash... a '69 Charger or something, something a little more brute, a little more "classic", maybe something more compatible with my 300 lb gas foot.... but, money can't buy love. I love THIS car. Money does help perpetuate the relationship year in and year out, though, very, very well. The current shop bill is 2 grand for a full rack-and-pinion replacement (among other things). Love, baby.... love....

As for Rocky, he's new. Just picked him up a week ago for $600. 2.5L TBI, 5-speed manual (same as Speedy, there). Runs like crud. Needs love. Just the kind of love that only sentimentally flawed guys with big wallets and bigger hearts can give, I suppose. Rocky is giving me fits, but I'm finding that I love this car all the same. Saving Daytonas is a fun pastime, one that I'll probably continue to pursue until the market on $600 Daytonas dries up. Thankfully, my current fiancee actually likes, and supports, my anal-retentive car-loving ways. We'll see how long that lasts...! ;)

16. Prospeeder

Prospeeder Member

My friend and I went to the Junkyard for parts for her Geo Storm, she saw a Maroon Daytona and she loved it, 300$ later she got it, salvage title, runs good, looks a little beat and the interior stank and has parts missing, broken, but overall decent car, but its funny she bought it from a junkyard. doesnt use a drop of oil, its nice, 106k on it so far

17. Bob ONeill

Level 2 Supporter

I found my second Daytona only with the help of my extended family. Nearly everyone here on the Allpar forums knows how much I wanted a specific car. Color really didn't matter. They all have heard me talk about how great it would be to have another '86 but this time with T-Tops, TurboZ and the CS package. Other things were not that important. Things like interior leather, stereo etc.

Well the time came where I could spend a little to make this happen.

Hogtownhustler an others pointed me to some cars. All cars good in one way or the other but it was either not the right time or something about the car seemed just not right.

Then Wayne (Hogtownhustler) located one. It was a black '86 Turbo Z C/S with T-tops and I could get it for only $500. The fact that it would take nearly $3000 to make it 'mint' was not a concern. So on my way up to Carlisle 2006 my wife and I stopped by to see Wayne and we visited the owner of the car.

The car was a little rough but VERY little rust. The body was more or less straight from what we could see an I knew about the blown head gasket.

When we drove up the car my wife said 'dang'. (well that's not exactly what she said but because of the filter that'll have to work) What she meant was that we were going to buy this car. It was the best one we'd looked at for the money.

We bought the car and signed over the paperwork etc. I handed Wayne one of the keys and we took the paperwork and title with us. Wayne then came back that afternoon with a dolly and moved the car to his place. This was July 6. Labor Day a friend of mine who helped me overhaul my first Daytona drove up to Waynes (700 miles) with a trailer and we loaded it up.

Keep in mind that my car was at Wayne's house for two months.

Wayne kept it save and watched over it till we came to get it.

So that's the story of how I got my second Daytona. Now the adventure begins.... the rebuild.

Thanks Wayne and family for helping me with this project.

18. soloflite

soloflite Active Member

Yea Bob O', I'll be looking next year for mine. I also want a 1st gen... I will be a year behind on restoring it, but can't wait to get started.

I need to finish my 69' Austin Mini cooper first, too much money in it to stop now..

19. mech1nxh

Level III Supporter

the 85...(2.2 tbi 5spd)....from a co worker...much neglected....
    with tlc now a d/d....

end of the month.....I will be the proud owner of
    a 141k unmolested blk/ blk t top C/S tona..

will be following Mr Oneills build closely.....

but I do have a TIII/568 powertrain....(doesnt make me special, lots of folks have 2 or 3)
    so carlisle may be out this year

20. ag_daytona

ag_daytona Guest

I found my tona on autotrader.com
    I was looking for something compact & little & came across it out of sheer luck.
    I'm in love =]
    Poor thing is haveing "stuck in neutral" problems right now though so I haven't drove her for a week =/
    I'm waiting for my parts to come in.