Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where Did You Find Your Daytona?

Discussion in 'GFAQ: G-Body Frequently Asked Questions' started by TurboPacifica, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Coder J

Coder J Guest

I bouhgt my 89 Dodge Daytona 2.5L (no turbo) (2d Hatch) a week ago from a local man. His father had owned it and used it for just driving to a local park-and-ride and before that his brother had it and was doing the same thing.

When I got my hands on it for about $800, it only had 79k miles and brand new brakes/exhaust/shocks.

It did have some problems;
    • When the door was opened or cig lighter was used, lost the 12V Battery line to the radio (fixed; ran new wire from battery to fuses, fuses to radio, door switch, and cig lighter)
    • Blower fan doesn't come on, can turn on AC and defrosters (lost the little light bulb in the cluster though), but the fan won't come on. (Going to pull apart this weekend, checked fuses already... maybe another electrical problem, though).
    • Minor body rot in the floor in the four corners of the car where it's the lowest. Nothing I can't cut, treat, and weld a couple of new pieces in after winter. Just treated them for now to keep them from getting too bad during the winter.
    • Doors are goofy. Passenger side outside handle doesn't work (not sure why, I tried lubing it, new bar, etc) and driver side lock doesn't take the key. Passenger side does, so I going to take the lock out of passenger side and put it on the driver side for now (I don't mind opening the passenger door from the inside).
    • Finally, the hatch has some of the window trim coming loose... although the seal is still good. The two (ugh, forgot work) thingies that hold the hatch open are shot, may take the vice grip route to 'fix' them.
    All in all, I love this car. Engine runs great, low miles, and it's great on fuel. Going to take it to a guy I know in town after I get the brakes fixed. He had worked on a lot of late 80s trucks and cars and has a knack for getting the engine to run even better.

2. mikesquared

mikesquared Member

I just got my second one today (the first was long gone in 1999).
    90 ES 2.5T auto. LOADED!!! Power seats, ifinity, everything, with 90k miles.
    I have been searching for quite some time. My wife set up an Ebay auto search. We got an email on a 90ES in PA for $250 under Parts Cars. I looked at the pics, and saw crank windows and a spoiler and ground effects pack that did not seem to be on right and not the right color. I was going to send a link for a vin decoder to the owner so they can run it to make sure it was actaully an ES, so I googled it. Up popped this listing for Craiglist. I called the next day, and this morning I went up with a tow-dolly.
    Well...seems you can't put one up fowards as the ground effects are too low, so I had to back it up the ramps. Well, after tying the steering wheel, I could only do 35 mph, which sucked considering I had 40 miles to go.
    The listing said "V6 turbo, auto, leather, power windows/locks"
    The body is awesome, and the motor fired up and ran smooth after sitting for 4 years. The only issue is the hood release. It had to be pulled with vise-grips, and the hood will not lock back down flush again.
    Price...$750.00

3. chryslerdaytona

i found mine at some low brow auto dealer that was renting his space from a chines food restaraunt ( i love small towns) it took a wile to work it out cause he had other buisness but i ended up paying 150$ for it plus the cost of a new tail light cause the day before i bought it some idiot backed into it and smashed it and gave it a big dent. the guy who was selling it actually was going to have it crushed if no one bought it and now im slowly working on it and i cant wait to drive it.

4. Tonatom

Tonatom Member

My first daytona came after the 1989 Nissan Pulsar NX I was given when I was 16 crapped out completely... Have you ever seen an exhaust manifold glow cherry red in a stock engine after running 15min down the road... Haha Sold for $100 bucks, (loved it tho) only ran for 6 months at most.

So I am now 17 I needed a car, My cousin is selling a car for $1000 Safetied and E-tested (thats all my part time job could support) I go see what it is... it is a 91 ES Daytona with like 120km on the clock, the body is beat to stuff bad paint, relatively no point left on gfx. Has the 2.5 TBI but was 5 speed... The only thing I would drive. I remembered how my best friends mom had a daytona when we were growing up it was prob an 87 Turbo 1 all digital (or maybe later because it was the first year a CD player was available factory) I loved being in the back seat of it then. So I bought it and loved every minute of it.

I was just about 18 and spotted a 90 ES Daytona on the corner for $200... I bought it, 3.0L Auto Power everything. Needless to say I spent $600 on it, ran out of money and it sat in the driveway.

I had finished high school still driving the 91 2.5 and didnt want to stop, after various PS fixes the rack was toast and my Dad did not think it was reliable to drive back and forth to Stoney Creek to goto college to be a Millwright. So after 2 months driving that, he says Ill buy you a car (the first big expense he ever spent on me $6000) I bought a 95 Sebring LXi 2.5 V6 Auto (wasnt pleased but I love the car), I would never ever buy another MitsuBysler total worth of that car is over $10,000 but I could only sell it for $1500 at most and its rotten completely underneath. (both Daytonas were given to my cousin's brother for free and he destroyed them and sold them but I made him give me the wheels off one of them. RIP 2 great cars)

It has been 2 years the Sebring is still going 100% strong, I am 20 yrs old Just about finished school have a great career in the Steel Mill ahead of me and a beautiful girlfriend and child on the way. I am daddy to be and am having tons of fun but am missing a key ingredient... A Fast car and a project... I had been searching for a 86-90 Shelby Daytona ever since I gave away my old one. Now I have the money to get one( oh wait I don't I need the money for my child and girl and house but I had to have this car. I wanted a t-top turbo 5spd. But I settled because the price was right on a 88 Shelby Z Sunroofed car. I didnt even test drive it, just bought it and drove off in it.

Now I have a money pit while trying to save up a down payment on the ever increasing house prices in Southern Ontario.

Lots of Fun Ahead of me.

It is great reading everyones stories, I love it.

5. truman

truman Guest

My dad bought my 1989 Shelby Daytona off a crazy lady a few towns over from us for 600 dollars. New tranny, new suspension... the turbo didnt work, but as it turned out, it was only a few loose connections. Apparently it spent a year in Ontario with this woman, and the whole undercarriage is a little rusted out from the salt, but she still looks and runs beautifully. A couple months after my dad bought it, I started driving her around whenever I got the chance and instantly fell in love. Bought it off my dad for a ridiculously low price.
    It has it's problems, but it's my baby. 150k, full 15psi boost, all leather interior... 12 way automatic seats, power everything, 17" chrome wheels from a GT cruiser, and a fancy stereo to boot :p

6. slojoe

slojoe Active Member

Found mine on Allpar when i posted looking for info. It's been a good car.

7. AR2

AR2 Member

My first Daytona (and first car) was a 1986 Daytona Turbo that my parents bought for me as a college present. I needed a car for college and for coming home, so they surprised me on my first trip home. In the driveway was a garnet red Daytona. I couldn't believe it. It wasn't a Turbo Z/Shelby Z, but it was a nice car all the while. I can't remember where my dad bought it, but it was the basic Daytona (with no power windows, locks, tape player, etc...). It was an automatic since I didn't know how to drive a stick at the time. Still, it was a great running car. It helped me get through most of my college years until the headgasket blew. We fixed the headgasket, but the car never ran the same. Around 146,000 miles, the car was sold to another individual. Even though it wasn't the fastest, sexiest car out there, I still miss it. It was a fun, light weight car that was a blast to drive.

My second Daytona was a 1991 Daytona Shelby. After selling the '86 Daytona, I made the mistake of replacing it with a 1993 Plymouth Sundance Duster with the 2.5 4 cylinder. I figured this would help with gas mileage. It did do well with gas mileage, but I really missed the power of the turbo 4 in the Daytona. The Duster was just a dog. One day, I happened to stumble across a 1991 Daytona Shelby at a local Chrysler dealer. It was a white Shelby that was fully loaded. It had leather seats, power everything, CD player, the works... It had the 2.5 turbo with the automatic. It was in great shape except for the leather seats. I took it for a test drive and immediately liked the power and smooth driving dynamics of the car. So, I traded the Duster in for the Shelby.

My third Daytona came about as I was driving my white '91 Shelby. While I was driving down one of our local streets, I noticed a red/silver '89 Daytona Shelby sitting in an individual's driveway. I noticed the car was sitting there every day, and since I had (have) a thing for Daytonas, I had to drive by there just to look at it. One day, I drove by and I noticed a "For Sale" sign on it. I was interigued. For one thing, I loved the '89 Shelby models. I also wanted a Daytona with t-tops and this car had that feature. Finally, I knew the homeowner as he was the previous High School Band Director. So, I decided I would talk to him about the car. I looked the car over and other than some paint fading, it appeared to be in great shape. It wasn't the exact color I wanted (Daytona Blue), but Flash Red was still a great color and I had no problem with this color at all. The interior did not have the power enthusiast seat, nor did it have leather, or the Infinity II stereo system like I wanted, but I wasn't too concerned. The car did have the 5 speed manual so this meant it had the 174 hp 2.2 Turbo.

I was given permission to test drive the car home. My dad checked it out and we ran water over the t-tops to detect any leaks. There were no problems with the engine nor did the t-tops leak. I so wanted this car, but why would I need two cars. Logically, I just needed 1 car and I had it with the '91 Shelby. However, I had to have the '89 Shelby. So, I pulled some money from my savings and bought the '89 Shelby. Good thing I bought it because later on, I had all kinds of problems with the '91. We eventually traded the '91 in on a 2003 Grand Prix.

I still have the '89 Shelby and even though it is not as nice as it was 9 years ago when I bought it, it still runs like a charm. I drive it to work sometimes when I don't feel like driving the Mustang. The original "owners" still ask me about the car. I found out the car was originally bought by either their daughter or son-in-law off the lot from a nothern Illinois Dodge dealer. They even kept the original window sticker. Hopefully, I will eventually restore the car back to like-new status so I can actually experience a "new" Daytona Shelby. Too bad I was way too young to buy these new, but I'm glad I was able to buy the three I had.

8. babyshelby

babyshelby Guest

Hi, i'm Iwan Maes aka Baby Shelby on the forum. I was surfing around on the web, searching for interesting cars(i'm obsessed), first i was looking for a rice burner as you call it, becouse american cars like a camaro or a mustang are to expensive here. Each month i buy a magazine called chrome and flames so i can go on dreaming of the beautiful cars you make and have made there in the USA. Till one day i came across an add called beautiful chrysler gs daytona shelby for sale or
    switch with an other car. So i mailed him and asked if he was interested in my old toyota crown super saloon. The interest was there and the deal was done. I was happy as a little child: finaly i own an ami, and what an ami! 2.2 turbo 2 intercooled, awsome! Only to bad, the gearbox is broken whitch is going to be fixed soon.

9. Bob ONeill

Bob ONeill 325,000+ miles and counting...
    Level 2 Supporter

First welcome to the forums and to Allpar.com. Where are you from?

It sounds like you found a sweet ride. If there is anything we can help please let us know. If you've not added pictures to the gallery please do.

10. 84daytonaturboz

Ahh, how I got my Daytona which is my first car. I had turned 16 and started looking for a car because i was promised one by my grandmother. So i go on autotrader and start looking at japanese stuff (3000Gt, Eclipse, 240Sx, 300Zx,....etc) Then i got a phone call form my neighbor who said a lady in my church was selling her husbands car who died 5 years ago. I call her and she tells me it's an '84 Daytona TurboZ. At hearing the word turbo i got a little excited. So i go with my grandma and take a look at it. FLAWLESS! Absolutely perfect car, the lady wanted $3500 for it. So we thought it was a little high and told her to call bak if the price went any lower. 2 weeks later she calls and says the price went down to $1500. So again we go and look at it and decide to offer $1200, but i got a phone call that night from the lady who was selling it. She said that since we've known each other for a long time, she decided that she would GIVE it to me, as in no money was exchanged for it. I can say it was the happiest day of my life. Here it is on http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2819478

11. Nox

Nox Member

Actually I love the story how I got mine. My neighborhood crazy lady was moving away, and sold it to her boyfriend (other neighbor) for 450 dollars. After she left, he found out he did not have the mechanical knowledge to repair it. I went to him about 2 days before he was going to have it junked and asked about the car. I was told it would cost me what it cost him I agreed he told me to pay him when he got back from Puerto Rico, handed me a signed title and two sets of keys. He left for supposedly 2 months in june. It is now october. He has not returned.

12. babyshelby

babyshelby Guest

http://cid-fc46b53ebdb6b03d.spaces.live.com/photos/ , the red and gray shelby is mine

13. gnnash

gnnash Member

I got mine for $50 at an Iowa garage sale. Had some mechanical issues that were easily resolved. Owner got rid of it because it was hard to start (loose ignition switch linkage and dirty battery cables.)

A few repairs and one paint job later, (not to mention $2500), it is a great car.

14. mike93daytona

mike93daytona Member

Traded a POS Motorcycle to some High School kid for it first choice was a 86 C/S but it was rough and the guy wanted cash in additon to the bike, I traded the bike (worth around $300) even for my Daytona. It's got rocker rot and the driver's floor is soft and typical junk paint but all in all It's going to be a nice project and a perfect driveway mate to my 02 Ram Quad Cab

15. KJRich

KJRich Member

I always liked Daytonas, but for whatever reason, never owned one. Last year, I was cruising the local internet classifieds like I always do when I came across my '90 ES V6 with pictures. The couple that owned it wanted to trade even up for a truck, which I had. They needed a truck for hauling things like gardening, outdoor supplies, etc. Gas was $4 per gallon, and I hardly drove my truck anymore, so I contacted the couple and they were interested. We met in a central location about 100 miles away, they liked my truck, I loved the Daytona, so we went to a local notary and the trade was done. I traded a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT club cab 4x4 5.2 automatic even up for this car. My truck had around 150,000 miles on it, but absolutely no rust and a newly rebuilt transmission. The Daytona is now a 3rd owner car and had 99,000 miles on it when I got it, up to about 102,000 now. Its purely a pleasure car, toy, weekend cruiser and I even cringe if I get caught out in the rain :lol: Some people may think I was stupid to trade a 4x4 truck for this car, because on KBB, etc. my truck was still worth a couple thousand more than the Daytona. However, considering the price of fuel and how little I drove it, I think I made a good trade. I'm getting MUCH more enjoyment out of the Daytona than I did from my truck.

16. Bob ONeill

Bob ONeill 325,000+ miles and counting...
    Level 2 Supporter

Yes, a good trade. The 'tona can haul a bunch of stuff with the seats down. :)

17. mike93daytona

mike93daytona Member

you're not crazy with truck prices what they are that's like a 2-2500 dollar truck in real value (my dad has the same model with only 49k on it and was offered 3k on trade at 3 dealers) and yeah the daytona may "book" less but really what can you get for 2 grand anymore

18. Scstables

Scstables Member

I bought my 88 in 1988 brand new. I bought this model as the model I wanted was $2,000 more. The one I wanted was Black Cherry in color and was an automatic, a/c, had spoilers and had a sun roof. (Wish I would have went for the one I wanted) Any how, this is what it looks like today:

[​IMG]

19. digbydog

digbydog Guest

hi my names steve and live in england.
    i found my 1990 daytona 3.0 on e-bay. i was just looking through american car section and it caught my eye, gleaming red with shelby silver stripes from back to front. i went and had a look at it and it was in excellent condition.had the car 2 years now never let me down. it also has the original snowflake wheels. show season starts soon so i had better start polishing.
    thanks for looking will post a picture soon.

20. KJRich

KJRich Member

Looking forward to pictures here. I love to hear about Daytonas that made it outside of the USA.