Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where Did You Find Your Daytona?

Discussion in 'GFAQ: G-Body Frequently Asked Questions' started by TurboPacifica, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Bob ONeill

Bob ONeill 325,000+ miles and counting...
    Level 2 Supporter

Steve, plesae join us in discussions on the main Daytona forum. It's really great to know that our Daytona is loved by someone across the pond. We have members here from the Netherlands, Norway and Germany just to name a few other countries not in North America.

Please, tell us more about you and your car. If you're planning a holiday and may want to come to the US, consider coming in July and joining us at the All Chrysler National Car show in Carlisle PA July 10 - 12.

2. Blackout80

Blackout80 New Member

Hi I am new to TD's and I just bought an 1986 Daytona Turbo Z with 63k miles on it from Pennsylvania CL. I only paid $425 for it, runs and drives okay. It has some rust issues and needs a lot of TLC but I am already working on that.. I got some pics posted in the gallery.

3. Bob ONeill

Bob ONeill 325,000+ miles and counting...
    Level 2 Supporter

Cool. Bring it to Carlisle this year and put Allpar down as your club when you register.

4. Blackout80

Blackout80 New Member

Yeah I have been thinking about going. It's only about two hours from where I live.

5. Akablaaka

Akablaaka Active Member

Believe it or not, my old car had just broken down and I heard an advertisment on the radio for cars under a grand and I checked it out and stumbled across the Daytona on Ebay in the city directly attached to mine. It was like a 5 minute drive and I got her. I told the guy to remove the car from Ebay and I'd be by before the end of the week to pick her up for $1000 however I only paid $800 for her because I needed money left over from my grand to get new tires and transfer the title.

6. 88DaytonaD

88DaytonaD Member

Well my first car was a Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, my parents bought it the year I got my license. My grandmother owned an Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera very similar to the one my parents bought, and I still had hers even though the motor is siezed and the body has pretty much disintegrated. So the 87 Cutlass Ciera with GM's Iron Duke would eventually become mine and it did. I drove it for 6 months, blew the motor (melted No.3 piston) then I received my parents 93 VW Passat TD. It was loaded with all options except fog lights and leather. It was slow, but easily got 1000kms/tank. In may I put a motor from an 88 Fiero engine in the Ciera and drove it until January, so again, 6-7 months, and then a connecting rod started making threatening noises so I had to lay it up and put the Passat back on the road. I was watching KIJIJI for 3 months looking for cars and decided I watned an Eagle Talon, Cavalier Z24/Sunfire GT, Ford Probe, or something sporty like that. I saw a 2000 Honda Accord with every option ever made available, V-Tech 5speed/ $2500! So I went to test drive it with my father and I got in it, started it, pressed the brake pedal and ruptured a brake line. IT had just received a new inspection so it worried me wondering whether or not it had other problems. Then my brother was like "Look at this car" and he shows me a picture of the Daytona. I went with dad and my brother to look at it and I decided I liked it, it only had 54000kms and it has never seen a winter and it is undercoated extremely well. It was also 500 less than the Accord. I went home and did some research to find out that the 1988 Model year was the only year to have no recalls so I decided I wanted it. The owner wouldn't let me test drive it, but I finally got him to let me drive it and I decided I wanted it. Later that night I bought it for $2000. It's pretty base, 2.5NA 3speed auto, power mirrors and tilt steering. It is in amazing shape! I had to replace the headgasket, radiator, thermostat and that was about all I've done to it. I really like it and I might lay it up for the winter again, but no promises. I just love driving it so much!

7. Domino

Domino Guest

I found my daytona on ricekiller.com. seriously. i asked the owner if he knew anyone that was selling a mini mopar and he offered his daytona to me. well, after a bit of hassle (not by either of us), we finally worked up a deal. so, today i traded him a 97 Isuzu Rodeo for it.

8. russ93spirit

russ93spirit Active Member

Bought my 1990 Daytona today for 300.00. Not running, been sitting 2-3years, but I hope to clean the fuel system, etc put a fuel pump on it and fire it up. Hopefully then, I find the the engine and trans are ok. Car is rust free, with 58K on the odom, hopefully, it still works. Plan to restore it to be a clean, reliable, original appearance daily driver.

9. chaotica17

chaotica17 Member

I bought the red one from an ex-girlfriend. My wife hates the car for that very fact; she is convinced I am keeping the memory of the ex alive by owning the car (she remembers a story I told about how the clearcoat on the hood was scratched during a makeout session- WHY DID I EVER TELL HER THIS I"LL NEVER KNOW). The truth is that I could not care less about that skank- I fell in love with the car long before making any commitments to the girl.
    I found the green one in Ashuppin. A mechanic bought it off a customer who didn't want to afford replacing the tank/ fuel pump/ sender and rear drums/ backing plates / lines.

10. ltbiff

ltbiff Member

hehe...you should be able to use that as leverage to get a new paint job! :thumbsup:

11. homeboysduster

my first daytona was a 91 ES 2.5 n/a the poor car was trashed pretty bad. a grand father bought the daytona for his grand doughter. she didn't like the car and after a few months she sait the trans was bad. i test drove the car and knew on the spot what was bad! the man sold me the car for $700 and i took the car home. the problem was the intake. there was a recall on the cars for the intake. on cold days the car would not drive till it was warmed up then it was fine. so a quick trip the the junk yard and found the correct intake and i was driving!!!! all i did after that was do a great paint job and had fun!!!! i sold it a couple of years to buy a turbo Z and the gril i sold it to hit a car head on and killed the poor gril. she (the daytona) never liked other women!!! LOL

[​IMG]

12. ckrivin

ckrivin New Member

First Daytona, bought for my son at the 2010 Chrysler Carlisle show in the car coral. Over almost 300K miles, on its second engine I understand (over 100K on that one), runs well. ES model with 2.5 / auto. Dark blue with Silver trim. I know there are some things to be done so I'll be on this forum lots!

13. rachilders

rachilders Guest

I ordered my '85 Turbo Z new from the factory in December of 1985 while living in Warminster, PA and I've had it ever since. It's got about 120K on it and while I don't drive it much anymore with three young (11 y/o triplet) boys, I start 'er up every now and then and take a run to the store. I can't tell you how many times I've had an offer to buy the old Dodge while out and about but I plan to make it a legacy car for my boys when they are are old enough to drive it... and pay for the insurance!

You may notice the '02 Durango in the driveway, there's a '99 Quadcab as well and ALL were purchased new. We are a Dodge family to the core.

FYI, my photo was too large (100K) for the forum (80K) and wouldn't download. I'll see if I can reduce it and repost it later. If interested, you can find a link to the photo and a few others on my webpage.

14. DCTZ

DCTZ Active Member

I too am an original 1985 Turbo Z (gun metal blue / silver) owner who will be at the New Brunswick NJ show. I see that Warminster is only about 1 hour from the show. Bring your 3 boys. I am bringing my 10 y/o son and maybe my 16 y/o son. I am coming from 1 hour north of New Brunswick in NJ.

Hope you can make it!

BTW: What is that hump on your hood? Nice car pic!

15. Scstables

Scstables Member

Bought my Daytona brand new in 1988 from a dodge car dealer. It still runs great. However I may have to sell it due to the economy.

16. Scstables

Scstables Member

Decided not to ever sell it (lol). Once I get the heater core leak fixed, I will be driving it again. I still drive it up to the mail box and back to keep the battery charged.

17. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Takes about 20 minutes of driving to replace the energy that a cold start uses. Little runs like that will slowly drain the battery. You'd be better off to disconnect it and trickle-charge it every two weeks, then start it once a month.

18. Scstables

Scstables Member

20 minutes of driving daily? Or how many times a week? I can do that this spring as long as I keep an eye on the anti-freeze levels, keep antifreeze water in the car and drive with a window down so the windows do not fog up. Again I will be getting the issue fixed hopefully sometime late in the spring.

[​IMG]

19. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Twenty minutes per cold start; but I would only start it once every week or two. Or, disconnect the battery so it won't run down, and hook it up and run it once a month.

20. edv

edv Member

Bought mine new off the lot in 1984.
    Still got it.
    Will be a restoration project.
    [​IMG]