AF: Where IS everybody ? | Page 10 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where IS everybody ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by unverferth, Apr 22, 2020.

1. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

my younger brother found a place similar to that in Boise where he lives, don’t remember the name. Dad had all sorts of great instruments for testing and assembling his own designs including a wicked cool looking modular analog oscilloscope complete with multiple, slide in modules and a kelp forest of color coded patch-cables. Someone once called it a disassembled nuclear submarine. Dad loved the beautiful puzzle of well designed/made electronics before the integrated circuit took all the fun and mystery out of it.

jerseyjoe and Dave Z like this.
  2. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Tony K likes this.
  3. Morty

Morty Well-Known Member

Great pics, with a glimpse of a great little sports car:)

aldo90731 likes this.
  4. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

It's something that people still get into. I've a friend who's a ham, and he tells me there's a few kids he knows in their 20s who have got into it. It is a surprisingly "outdoors" hobby, especially if you do contests - Ireland (EI) is one of the countries that gives different station prefixes to its offshore islands, so lots of hams go on camping expeditions to set up an "EJ" station for long-distance competitions. I've gone along occasionally as a spare pair of ears, and someone who knows what a volt is, and so can be trusted with hooking up cables.

From New Jersey, you should be able to get some of the European Long Wave stations (150-260 kHz AM) with a HF rig or a "world receiver", but it's very much a last chance to hear, and you'll need a really good receiver nowadays as most are on very low power - the BBC 198 kHz service was put on reduced power (500kW) a few years ago to extend the lifetime of the final-stage RF amplifier's valves, and once either of the current pair goes, it's goodnight forever - the only spare valves are all in museum collections, and it would be unsafe to make new ones.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  5. Morty

Morty Well-Known Member

Where IS everybody?
    The complete derailment of the thread subject, is what l like about Allpar;)

6. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

Yes, it was posted under the category "Mopar News" but if you look at Post #1 that started the thread, it wasn't really very specific about what it was about ;)

And even though it kind of drifted off topic pretty early and is maybe more now just a general discussion, as long as people remain civil and respectful, what is the harm, but maybe move it to a more appropriate category, or have a mod go through and delete all of the "off topic" posts in the thread. :)

Ernesto likes this.
  7. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I think it is appropriate given that FCA/Mopar is missing in action these days.

suzq044, page2171, Ernesto and 2 others like this.
  8. aldo90731

Auto News reports today that with sales are rebounding ahead of expectation, automakers are pulling back on the sweet deals. Juicy deals dry up

So the Fed’s 0% policy is now going to line the automakers and banks’ pockets. Great.

9. Ernesto

Ernesto Active Member

I dined at daughter's steakhouse yesterday for the second time since reopening. Supper time found quite a bit bigger crowd than 2 PM on opening day. They didn't make me wear a mask from the lobby till I was seated this time. All employees still were masked. I enjoyed a small NY strip. I used to always demand large. I just don't have the appetite I used to. Great food!

10. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

Yes - for me I love this place. Athough, I am a member from 2017, but I wish I had joined a long time age. Because I learned a lot here. Also, I get the latest news about the brand that I love “Jeep”, and some exclusive/insider news that I find only here.

I also using the forums search engine to look after some data from some legendary:) members such as TheMan “Bob”. But I noticed that the search engine doesn’t pull any info before 2012 or 2011.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  11. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

You get what you pay for. We had a disserttion by a gentleman who collects antique transistor radios on how to reair "IF" transfomers that all radios have except for a few newer ones. The tiny thinner than a hair wires get correded at the solder connection inside. I would say on most radios there is no replacment for the origial. New solder does not have the corrosive propertes. Perhaps the original Chrysler electronic fuel injection can be bought back to life by fixing solder connectons and replaceing the capicators. Early transistors may be an issue. Might be a fun project.

12. jerseyjoe

There are lots of IC projects out there and descrete component radios on ebay. Gotta watch out because a most of this stuff is made in China, you need to search for a diagram to build it. Also fully assembeled oscillicopes that uses your monitor or pc for under $100. I still loe to arch the trace dance to the music.

freshforged likes this.
  13. jerseyjoe

It's not over till it's over. I have been out of the new car market for 6 years now and with prices what thay are won't buy new just to say I have one. Now lookingat a 90s Jeep. Had a GC back then, sucked down fule but now we travel less.

14. Ernesto

Ernesto Active Member

The looks on the faces of the Chevy and Ford boys are still priceless. Turning on my radio in my 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury with instant on sound. The Chevy and Ford radios still had tubes. They had to warm up for sound.

Tony K likes this.
  15. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

DITTO !

16. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

I'll bet it was quite the struggle getting the food past the face mask and into your mouth!:p:D

Ernesto likes this.
  17. jerseyjoe

Took a walk @ Oceangate today, first time I have been off my block for over 2 months, most of my time in the hobby room. So thats where I've been here in NJ

Attached Files:

18. aldo90731

Very nice!

I drove across the bay on Mother’s Day. Took this shot of my hometown with the telephoto. That’s Mount Baker in the background, or Koma Kulshan, as the natives call it —which means “White Sentinel.” It is a glaciated volcano 45 miles east of Bellingham, on the Cascade mountain range.
    [​IMG]

#198 aldo90731, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Tony K, tlc, somber and 7 others like this.
  19. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

WOW. That is beautiful.

jerseyjoe and aldo90731 like this.
  20. jerseyjoe

freshforged, djsamuel and KrisW like this.