AF: Where IS everybody ? | Page 6 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where IS everybody ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by unverferth, Apr 22, 2020.

1. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

So IMO testing is the key to opening back up. Where I am they're still only testing the elderly, first responders, or people showing symptoms. The county requested 15,000 tests and received 5,000 but were ordered to return them for redistribution to other parts of the country (according to the county mayor). Asymptomatic people aren't getting tested here. That's what worries me.

freshforged likes this.
  2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Our state is ready to open testing but FEMA ordered us not to.

Y'know, some countries would do this stuff at the federal level and actually help states rather than getting in their way and bidding against them for vital supplies. Or seizing supplies without explanation.

freshforged and kevin m. Henry like this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

There are some sectors that most people won't think of as major employers, but which will be hit hard. Education is getting slammed, with students not seeing the point of going to expensive private schools vs excellent online alternatives (apus.edu)—and at the same time, public universities losing just about all their state support. Health care, yes, that will get changed (that's one of your other posts, oops), and it should. No reason why I should have to go see a dermatologist if he can examine me by video, except that most of the time he ends up taking a physical sample. (At the moment it’s “he,” but my last one was “she.”)... okay, bad example. But telemedicine was out there before, few used it.

I would say something like “maybe people will start rethinking the way we nickel and dime some parts of our medical system and treat other parts with ‘sky is the limit,’” but I don't think that will happen. I'd like to see nurses get more $$$ and executive doctors get less, I'd like to see medical supplies sourced from within the US, etc., I'd like to see medical schools removing artificial limits from the doctor supply, but ... there's no real pressure to make any of that happen.

tlc, Zagnut27 and aldo90731 like this.
  4. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

100%

Those of you in rural areas right now are about to get hit with what the urban centers have already gone through. Everyone has to follow the CA model, especially the Bay Area. Close down now for a long time, get infections waaaaay down. Buy time to get testing and contact tracing resources ramped way up. Buy additional time to make sure your hospitals and medical people are fully stocked with gear and ample space. We will be having infections, hospitalizations and deaths for the next 18 months still. Realistically the only thing we can these next 18 months is give ourselves the best opportunity to not have our medical systems overwhelmed, so that anyone who does get infected can have the best opportunity for medical care and not the triage care going on in NYC right now.

freshforged likes this.
  5. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

Beautiful... Congrats again.

BTW, is it me or do your side-mirrors have a more brushed nickel look to it than the standard Chrome??? I like that.

JKU12 and 06PTElectricBlue like this.
  6. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

In the Louisville area.

7. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

It looks more like a satin silver or gray finish, the door handles, the grille, driving light trim rings, lower front bumper valance trim and lower door moldings and rims all look like the same finish, I like it too :cool:

[​IMG]

freshforged, JKU12 and Bajanbuoy like this.
  8. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

It's the Citadel Anodized Platinum package. Gets you the Platinum accents in and out. Also the stitched leather dash and black/sepia seats. Between that and the HEMI it was love at first sight. :)

Attached Files:

freshforged and 06PTElectricBlue like this.
  9. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Citadel Anodized Platinum. See my post just prior to this. Thank you!

10. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I've had so many different segments to my life where I’ve been doing completely different things, that those segments almost seem like different lifetimes. My time in the military was a while ago, I was done in ‘98, it almost seems like the memories I have from then belong to someone else. It’s a weird feeling, and it’s hard to describe. A lot of people I know don’t know I served, I don’t talk about it much, I don’t feel the need. I think I’ve said more here than I ever have in “real life”. I guess I’m just a complex soul. :D

77 Monaco Brougham and Tony K like this.
  11. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

So was mine. Enlisted in the Army Reserves in 1980 (delayed entry). Three days after graduating HS I was on my way to the AFFEES station in Jacksonville and then to Fort Jackson in Columbia, SC. Did AIT training (Medic and Pharmacy Tech) at Fort Sam Houston in 1982 (the delay was due to transferring from the Army Reserve to the Colorado National Guard). Finished my enlistment with the 229th BN (29th Division) in Fredericksburg, VA in 1986. All I have left is a few medals, name tag, a few shirts, Honorable Discharge and my separation papers. Seems like another life. My oldest granddaughter didn't know I had served until she asked her mother (my oldest). My second oldest daughter actually has my dog tags.

While in the Colorado Army Guard we did our annual training in Hawaii twice ('83 and '85). First time we were billeted at Hickam Air Force base and the 2nd time at Pearl Harbor Naval Base. Did our duty at Tripler Medical Center - the pink hospital on the hill. Weather was fabulous and we did a lot of sightseeing when not on duty. Not a place I would want to live though - too expensive. Our unit piggy-backed with a Green Beret unit on the flight over. Flying on C-141's the Green Beret's jumped out over the Big Island while we proceed onto Hickam on Oahu. Kinda neat to watch them jump.

If you ever get a chance to go, a must visit is the USS Arizona Memorial. A very somber place - oil still seeps from her.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  12. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I did my time with the 10th Mountain Division (22nd and 87th infantry) at Fort Drum while active duty and then a couple different reserve units afterwards in central NY State. We did everything from hurricane relief (Andrew) to traipsing around the Horn of Africa. Any pics I have are in a big plastic tote up at my brother’s house, and my old uniforms were eaten by moths along with my dad’s naval uniforms in a closet at my parent’s house years ago. The stupid thing about that was, we had a cedar closet in the basement where we could’ve stored them and they would’ve been fine. Instead, they were in the closet under the stairs...unprotected. At the time I couldn’t have cared less, it just didn’t seem to matter to me. My dog tags and separation papers are in a plastic tote or cardboard box, probably out in my garage currently.

I’ve never been to Hawaii...haven’t even flown over the islands on my way to anywhere else, at least not that I know of. I had talked to my wife about taking a cruise from the west coast to Hawaii at some point when the kids were older. I especially would like to see a Pearl Harbor and the Arizona memorial...though I seem to recall the memorial had to be closed indefinitely for repairs in the last few years?? Still, would love to go see it. Yup, it does leak oil still...there’s a fair amount still inside, and they’re afraid at some point the remains of the ship will collapse and release a large amount of oil all at once. I don’t know if they came up with a solution for that yet.

13. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yeah, I do remember where the memorial was closed for repairs. I thought it reopened recently (?). Well, at least I was able to visit when I did. If you do get to Hawaii, visit the Punchbowl as well - it's a military cemetery up in the remnants of volcano crater. Spectacular view of the harbor from there. Did I mention sunsets are spectacular as well? Well, indeed they are.

Regarding the leaking oil, I believe there is some fear that if they try to remove the oil the entire ship would collapse resulting in an oil spill anyway or something to that affect. Had they done so shortly after the war, it probably could have been done safely. Now, I'm not so sure.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  14. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

My time in the U S Army was from Jan 1972 thru Jan 1974; a 2 year term of duty. Selective service / the draft was still enforced at that time so many of us had an extra incentive to volunteer and maybe get a better duty assignment versus our "favorite uncle" calling us against our will.

Since my education background was in math and science I knew that I would end up with an artillery assignment. So I spent 3 months at Fort Sill Oklahoma learning about being in the artillery. The classroom instruction where we were instructed on quickly using "slip sticks" or slide rule type devices to quickly and accurately calculate azimuth and elevation settings to be used on the guns was fun. The American involvement in the Vietnam conflict was winding down. If I had gone in 1 - 2 years earlier I very well could have been assigned to an infantry unit as a forward observer and call in artillery fire when engaged with the enemy. In hindsight if that had occurred I might not be here and telling this story now.

In the 1971 - 1974 time frame the Army was transitioning to an all volunteer force. Needless to say a major culture change like that created its own set of problems. Compound that with a lot of poor quality, low integrity and "shake and bake" officers generated and promoted too quickly because of the Vietnam conflict, I came away with a lot of "negative baggage" towards the Army.

Because of the unrest generated over the involvement in the Vietnam war and bad feelings toward soldiers and my own experiences, I tended to not include military service on my resume at that time and in later years when applying for jobs. I thought it best to let "sleeping dogs lie" and generate not so favorable questions or emotions about that era.

My hat goes off to those of you who volunteered and served after selective service was discontinued in 1973. You did not have that hanging over your head as an incentive but still sacrificed and served. I revere your service much, much more than mine. And it is certainly refreshing to see current active duty military, military career retired and those veterans who served for just a few years given acknowledgment and praise for that duty. I never thought I would see that happen in my lifetime.

tabutler, Zagnut27, wtxiceman and 3 others like this.
  15. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Right now we’re not even doing social distancing like we should—crisis fatigue

DC-93 likes this.
  16. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

For whatever it's worth......Thank You for your service to our Country.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Thank you for that!

Though I feel like I’ve served my country much more through my career in healthcare than I ever felt while in “the service”. I hardly ever felt like I was doing anything of real use back then. I only mostly feel that way now. :D

18. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

cdjr77 and JKU12 like this.
  19. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper

Just now seeing this! Haven't been on as much, because I'm still at work (in the car biz) but with a drastically reduced crew. We're still selling cars. Things are picking up in the last few days as our state is moving toward reopening. Some furloughed coworkers come back next week. It will be good to see them again.

wtxiceman and Ernesto like this.
  20. Ernesto

Ernesto Active Member

I arrived Honolulu International Oct 1, 1966 and took a taxi to Hickam for a special assignment. After completion, I flew out on a C-124 for San Fran Oct 31, 1966. The Arizona lay out in the drink alone at the time. Headquarters at Hickam still displayed bullet holes from the Zero attacks.

In the wee hours of the morning we could hear 50,000 watt KOMA 1520 in Oklahoma City. Rumor has it the KOMA boys would crank up the three night time directional Western Electric transmitters to maximum 250,000 watts so the boys in Hawaii and Vietnam could listen in.

Tony K, DC-93, page2171 and 1 other person like this.