AF: Where IS everybody ? | Page 8 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where IS everybody ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by unverferth, Apr 22, 2020.

1. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Well-Known Member

Many years ago, as a young teen driver, I listened to WLS and WCFL, both out of Chicago, in the evening. I was and still am in Central Ohio. In those days, they both played current Rock & Roll music. Those were the days.....as Edith Bunker would say.

2. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Lived on CKLW Windsor/Detroit. (I live in NW Ohio)

jerseyjoe and Adventurer55 like this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I miss the days of WPLJ when the DJs were allowed free reign — especially once they started their “no playing of any tune more than once in 24 hours” policy. Hated Carol Somethingorother who was a diehard Bruce fan with an annoying voice, but the rest of them were pretty good. It was one of the first stations with “album rock,” where they would play stuff other than singles, and give different formats a chance (it was an era when you could hear Al Stewart, BTO, and Devo on the same station in the same hour). Today the few “classic rock” stations left seem to have 35-hour or 71-hour playlists that are left on infinite repeat... and that includes at least one SiriusXM station... and have a much more limited repertoire. (That might not be true for all satellite stations, but I don't listen to satellite much—I don't pay for it on my car. My wife has it.)

PLJ got more and more power boost allowances from the FCC, but then at some point they changed their format completely... we went from the “payola” system of the 1950s, to centralized corporate programming (with payola from the record labels) in the 1990s...not progress.

jerseyjoe and rmtodd like this.
  4. rmtodd

rmtodd Well-Known Member

Of major-market commercial radio stations, at least there's still WXRT in Chicago. It's been running on the same basic concept for 45 years, has no direct competition and seemingly low expenses, and has to be making a ton of money.

Dave Z likes this.
  5. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

CKLW was the go to station back in the day. Our local municipal pool had two loudspeakers playing that station growing up in the late 60s to mid 70s. AM was a pita at night, so I discovered FM and listened to WNCI out of Columbus. Dave Anthony was a DJ at night.

6. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

We had a great local station that focused exclusively on alt rock and new wave from the 80s and new music in a similar vein. Was great till if got reprogrammed as a Spanish only talk/music format. Miss that funky mix of old and new.

7. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Well-Known Member

Yes, I also remember CKLW from back in the day. I tuned into them at times, too.

8. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Folks, it’s been well established that video killed the radio star.

AvengerGuy, DC-93, Tony K and 3 others like this.
  9. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

gforce2002 likes this.
  10. Ernesto

Ernesto Active Member

Arnie Woo Woo Ginsberg was our guy to listen to on WBZ Boston every night while stationed at Goose AB in Goose Bay, Labrador on the mainland part of Newfoundland.

Pryor to the Reagan administration, clear channel radio stations such as WOAI 1200 San Antonio, WBAP 820 Fort Worth, WLS Chicago 890, WSM 640 Nashville, KSL 1160 Salt Lake City, international clear channel 250,000 watt XERF 1570 Ciudad Acuna, Mexico (Wolfman Jack) could be heard coast to coast and border to border night time.

Today there's low powered 820s operating at night in DC and Chicago and low powered 890 in San Antonio. Low powered 1570s all over the U. S. operating at night messing up everything.

KOKC in OKC and KLRA Little Rock have long time now not broadcast at 50,000 watts because of storm damage. They may never return to full power. Last I checked 50,000 watt KOA Denver is voluntarily operating at 35,000 watts to save on the electric bill.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  11. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

I bought Dad a GE Super Radio III (I believe it's branded as an RCA now) some years ago, ostensibly to replace the crappy radio in the shop. It rests unused by the desk in the house. Is that what you mean by "large radio with a big ferrite antenna?"

77 Monaco Brougham and DC-93 like this.
  12. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

Living in Binghamton the go to rock station was WENE and we had the pleasure of listening to Doug Tracts, aka The Greaseman!!
    He and Don Imus were my heros and why I went for a degree in broadcasting.

13. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

I have a GE Super Radio II.
    Great piece of engineering!

77 Monaco Brougham and Tony K like this.
  14. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

At 10 PM EDT, I'm listening to a Boston station (WBZ) now from Mooresville, IN (30 miles SW of Indy) on my Tivoli Model 2, with no external antenna, loud, clear but not totally clean.

Ernesto and DC-93 like this.
  15. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Ah! The Greaseman! I remember him well. He was on DC101 (WWDC-FM) until he screwed up on air 20 years ago. He had a way of being raunchy without being crass. It was all in how the listener interpreted his sayings.

16. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

I should do some listening on the Duece and see what I’ll pickup.
    I’m n. of Detroit.

17. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Super radio is near the top of the selection of long distance radios. I have more than 50 radios in my collection and find that the newer ones are close to the GE, try it you may have fun. Stations pop in and out and on a really clear night might hang in for hours. The big issue for me is the political battle has taken over a lot of the power house stations. There are 2 daytime stations that come in strong mostly rock. One about 90 miles away that on a Sunday morning plays 50s and 60s Italian songs, reminds me of my youth. Just about any Zenith radio performs well. Have fun.

77 Monaco Brougham and rmtodd like this.
  18. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I'll have to look them up on netcast...or whatever it's called.

I miss having radio stations that played five or six songs in a row without DJ chatter! Some of the satellite radio stations seem to have more DJ patter than music.

rmtodd likes this.
  19. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

The Greaseman was a character for for sure. I owned a B5 Blue Dart Swinger and drove it to the station to see him and his comment to me was " What are doing with that car"?
    Nice. I never forgot that.

DC-93 likes this.
  20. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

M first distant station was WBZ! Loud and clear at night in Jersey on a Radio Shack DX 390 rebranded Sangean that cost way more audio is clear but not for music. C.CRANE has the stuff it designed Made in China. First AM portable that sounds like Classic GE super radio.

So going west I get most stations just short of Denver, South to Cuba, North Canada. I may get Mexico but I never hear an ID. On a goog night Hour after sunset Grand Ole Opry, live country!

#160 jerseyjoe, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
    Tony K and DC-93 like this.