AF: Where IS everybody ? | Page 9 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where IS everybody ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by unverferth, Apr 22, 2020.

1. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more!

I also have a GE Superadio 2, and it still performs superbly 35 years later (Well...I suppose the FM/AM slide switch could use a little contact cleaner;)).

I was also the owner of an original Superadio (sometimes called Superadio 1), which ran for 20 wonderful years before the unit met an untimely accident-related death.

Unfortunately....I am also the owner a an apparently poorly-built cheaply-made poor-performing 1990's Chinese Superadio 3, which I am sad to report is nowhere near the performer of the two previous models.

It goes without saying that this unit is collecting dust on a bookcase shelf.:(

@#$%^&* Chinese build-quality!:(:(:(

DC-93 likes this.
  2. 77 Monaco Brougham

Unfortunately...horrific Chinese build-quality of the Superadio 3 models ruined the reputation of the entire Superadio line, and it went out of production in...I think...2006.

As far as I know...there is nothing on the market at the moment which matches the sound quality and long-distance reception of the Superadios 1 & 2......Although I've heard that the Eton "Elite Field" radio and CCrane Radio3 come pretty close.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euMbLrjoYOI

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvc15T3IoZY

#162 77 Monaco Brougham, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
  3. 77 Monaco Brougham

May I ask the year and model of your old Zenith, and could you tell me a little bit about it?

My radio collection is nowhere near as extensive as yours...but I say WITHOUT A DOUBT that the pride and joy of the collection is my 1962 Zenith H-845 8-tube "Super Interlude" Bookshelf / Table Radio. A little research online revealed that this would have sold new in 1962 for $ US 129.99 I can only just imagine what that would amount to in today's dollars!:D

It is, by far, the best sounding unit in my collection, and its FM Sensitivity and Selectivity exceed those of the Superadios!
    Zenith......The Quality Goes In Before The Name Goes On

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epNuD6Cvd84

#163 77 Monaco Brougham, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
    06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  4. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

I am the second owner of a KLH Model Eight FM tube radio, designed by Henry Kloss.
    Still in the original box with all brochures, owners manual and paperwork, including the bill of sale.

I should get it out of the closet and play it!

5. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Found the KLH ! Getting near 60 years old!!
    A closet find! lol!
    KLH Model eight fm radio.JPG

6. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Old electronics go bad if you don’t run electricity through them every so often—not like solid state units we have now. You should definitely set it up and play it at least once a year.

7. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

According to this calculator, it would be about $1114 today.

Calculate the value of $130 in 1962. How much is it worth today? (at https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=130&year=1962 )

8. freshforged

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  9. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

I’ve owned many McIntosh tube amps and radios that were stored for decades, then plugged in and turned on with no issues. Must have been lucky!
    Once had an MC30 that was all original and played great!!! It was built in the 50s.

10. freshforged

Never worked with vacuum tubes—they might be a different story.

11. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

I have 30 tube radios, I like the battery operated portables because they don't cook themselves death the AC operated ones, a lot are pre 50s bought them to restore, life got in the way so never did a 100%. Favorite portable is a Zenith Trans-Oceanic. A mid 40s Emerson is my favorite table radio. Made back in the days when AM stations weren't packed together so the audio bandwidth is much wider than todays stuff. If you want to hear great audio a TRF with no IF to smash the signal is great. I have one of those but every capacitor is leaky, want to fix it but would take more time than I want to put in. The new China cheap radios are unbelievable , farmers in sweat shops assemble bad looking assemblies but the circuit engineering is great.

Some new solid state radios are software defined, friend had a book sized Sangean for emergencies, took it out during a power outage, it would not turn on. LCD display would show the band but not tune or make any sound, I could not find any electronic issues, it could be programmed with a frequency till you removed the batteries. Never made a any noise. it was packed so tight i did not want to attempt a repair. rather than send it back for a fix he bought an pocket sized C.Crane and loves it. I've got a SDR Xiegu Ham Radio, small but packed with features. Best believe I turn it on daily. got these super capacitors that supply voltage to the memory. My Pioneer stereo is victim of theses faulty caps, needs to have stations manually put in after power failures. Gotten so I just push search to find a station. Basically just use it for playing CDs Only reason I keep it is because it is rated in RMS watts. I need that to drive the old Bose speakers. So much for my rambling .

12. freshforged

Good stuff! My dad was the real radio buff, I just absorbed a bunch second hand from him. I’m afraid I’ve ruined a lot of my own equipment over the years by not taking proper care of it, but when Dad passed we sent his equipment and parts off to a working museum/electronics enthusiast group rather than try to sell. It better that we know someone was actually going to use this treasures.

13. 77 Monaco Brougham

You're exactly right!

The biggest mistake people make when they have vintage electronic equipment is developing what I like to call "The Museum Mentality"...In other words...Thinking that if they never use the vintage unit, then, they will be "preserving it".

All the while...they don't realize that the circuits / components inside the unit are slowing deteriorating from lack of use.

Unlike you, I would never be able to get by using my vintage radio only once a year! But...I do fire it up once or twice a week, when one of the area's public radio stations airs a multi-hour block of Jazz. The warm, rich sound coming out of that huge 8 inch speaker is like candy for the ears!;)

jerseyjoe and Tony K like this.
  14. freshforged

Good for you—like I mentioned, I’ve wrecked more than one piece of electronics (and optics) by not taking proper care.

15. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Let me start by saying that I am grateful to have my health and my job in the midst of all of this.

We are having glorious weather this Mother’s Day weekend, so I took the “day off” yesterday and went for a drive around my neck of the woods.

Turns out that buying a Fiat 124 Spider 14 months ago was one of the best decisions I ever made: as the days of the week blur with those of the weekend and the weather warms up, going for a drive in the Spider brings a ray of sunshine into the nonstop stream of dreadful economic and political news. Top up or down, driving the Spider is a joy, even if it is just to pickup groceries.

Some shots to remind us that no matter what, there’s beauty everywhere and reasons to be thankful.

Early light over Chuckanut Bay and San Juan Islands
    [​IMG]

Western saloon in lockdown, Edison, Washington
    [​IMG]

Samish slough, Edison, Washington
    [​IMG]

Samish slough with the Olympic Mountains in the distance
    [​IMG]

Rural road, Skagit Valley, Washington
    [​IMG]

Rhododendrons, Bellingham, Washington
    [​IMG]

#175 aldo90731, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
    jerseyjoe, JKU12, KrisW and 12 others like this.
  16. jerseyjoe

I am a member of the NJARC they maintain a musiem at the Marconi hotel in Wall N.J. its grown to probably one of the best locations in the north east, there is a lab with skilled repair people who maintain the stuff. Unfortunately who wants an AM radio. That said the location is at one of Marconi's facilities and the musieum has everything from "spark code radios" crysral sets, farm radios to Sattelitte equipment, a lot working so you can play with it. Down the road is a big sattelite dish that bounced the first signal off the moon. It is maintained by Ham Radio operators. That said geeks like me are dieing off, the kids can't get their faces out of the tablets including my grand kids. Then there is 2 1/2 yeae old Samantha who likes to twist knobs and is willing to learn anything.

And the beat goes on.

freshforged and Tony K like this.
  17. jerseyjoe

I have my musiem of never turned stuff because 50% of the parts are deffective and difficult to replace. Polish the cabinets. Started out working on a 1953 console tv 6 months later a bunch of parts and money and it only got worse, I ralized that it needed to be in a musiem, where you can look at it.

freshforged likes this.
  18. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

THANK YOU FOR THE PICS ! I needed that.

aldo90731 likes this.
  19. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

I bought Dad the SR3 so he could pick up the Opry, but by that time, you could get it on the WWW.

Available again under the RCA brand. https://www.amazon.com/RCA-RP7887-Super-Radio-3/dp/B00120WRSU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

20. freshforged

Chuckanut Drive, from Fairhaven district of Bellingham south is one of the most beautiful things you can do in your life. ESP in the fall with the leaves coming down.

aldo90731 likes this.