Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Allpar look? Part 2

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Dave Z, Nov 11, 2017.

?

How is it?

1. Worse

2. About the same

3. Better

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

“Modern look” — is it cleaner? more modern? in any way better or more attractive, or worse and less attractive? Do we start over from a different perspective?

cover-3.jpg

“Blue”

View attachment 10940

2. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Can't say I noticed any difference. Site looks good!:)

3. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I definitely noticed the difference on the forums. Look much cleaner.

Let me start by admitting that I am only an armchair designer. With that said, in general I find that the use of gray fonts and fewer colored boxes around the text tend to provide a softer, cleaner, friendlier look and feel.

You may want to pick a main color to be associated with allpar. Possibly that grayish blue you already use, and pick two or three other colors which, used sparingly, complement it.

Here are some useful guidelines for choosing on-screen complementing colors: Picking a Color Palette for Your Game's Artwork (at https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/articles/picking-a-color-palette-for-your-games-artwork--gamedev-1174 )

#3 aldo90731, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    DarkSky and UN4GTBL like this.
  4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I did not change the forums.

I'm struggling now with the news section. I followed your advice and went with gray lines, though not gray fonts. Yes, gray fonts look great, and then a certain percentage of people have to struggle to read... like me. I'm trying to use a different theme, but can't get the “ad free system” working with it; that requires php and maybe I need to use Javascript instead.

We already have the main color... as you say, the blue (not quite grayish blue; though I don't have your monitor.)

I couldn't get used to the home page without any lines, but I might apply the very light lines for the crosses. I thinned the containers for the features and news stories and did a full banner for the logo and such.

aldo90731 likes this.
  5. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

Dave,whatever you do is fine.Myself,i don't like change much.If it isn't broke?

6. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

That looks much cleaner!

One thing that could use some further tweaking is the space between paragraphs and photos. A consistent white space between the text and the photos would help provide an implicit “frame” for the visuals.

I think the faint lines would help. Try using light gray lines see how it looks.

But I am sure there are more experience graphic designers than myself on here.

#6 aldo90731, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Thanks, Aldo.

Some of the spacing is out of my control, given the dynamics of the system.

So I've minimized the blue, using it only for highlights, tweaked the week's features heading, made the center buttons gray, made the lines light gray, and changed the font for links from blue to a very dark gray (near black). The buttons are still blue on gray, I might change that.

gray.jpg
    View attachment 11080

#7 Dave Z, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    link3721 likes this.
  8. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I think its getting there.

Normally I don’t like frames around photos, but I have to say they actually help on the photos on the right side.

9. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

I like how the first one looks. Looks clean and simple to me.

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The photo frames on the right are done manually... I'll have to figure out a way to do it to the ones on the left.

There are two completely different systems generating the left and right columns. I can integrate them (and have) but they still pull from very different sources. Left column, WordPress; right column, home-generated database system.

If I had to do it all over again, I probably would not do the small images on the right manually; resizing the whole lot would take me days and days...

aldo90731 likes this.
  11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

... I tried the spacing again, to no avail; also grayed the button bar, moved the slider, and grayed the detail text.

aldo90731 likes this.
  12. Intrepidatious

Level 2 Supporter

Do you have control over the CSS? If so, I'd be happy to write a new style sheet to make it more modern and in line with what people see on other news / mag sites, etc...

13. superduckie5000

superduckie5000 THE MAD DUCK
    Level III Supporter

Like the Blue Color !
    Reminds Me of the Paint Color Called "Dick Dauch Blue".
    We Had to Paint Everything that Color For A While !