AF: Who gets the new six? | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who gets the new six?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Jan 31, 2018.

1. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Do you know of any transverse mounted Hemis in FCAs paddock? This is what the GME T6 will be pushing upmarket. Transverse enginebays will receive the GME T4 or perhaps a GSE.

2. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Nope, but there ARE transverse mounted v6s, which is why I was careful to point out the difference.

3. eggwhite93

eggwhite93 Active Member

The NA V6s will be replaced by turbo inline 4s.

T_690 likes this.
  4. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

For RWD applications and turbocharging V6 60°, especially big bore V6 60° as Pentastar is, offers inferior packaging compared to Inline 6.

5. MoparJoe

MoparJoe Well-Known Member

especially with the size of the turbos they are using ....

Mike V. and wtxiceman like this.
  6. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Not anytime soon... 3.6L e-Torque is in the lineup for the next several years and not just in the Ram 1500.

7. James A

James A Active Member

Same here!!! I6 all the way... makes more sense that it would be I6.

ScramFan likes this.
  8. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

So my big question is, will this just be a bread and butter engine? Or will they let the evil geniuses at SRT have a go at it?

If SRT did their magic on it, it would more than make up for years and years I have lined for a US version of the Slanted Hemi that the crazy Aussies made.

VoiceOfReason likes this.
  9. Don W

Don W Active Member

I'm pretty sure the people who worked the viper are working on the new six.

James A likes this.
  10. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

I would expect multiple versions could be possible. Depends on vehicle and market.

Mike

11. Detonator Yellow

Detonator Yellow Well-Known Member

Probably gonna derail the thread, sorry on advance but What would be better? An engine developed for performance and used for a mass global market or a global engine intended for most applications with a performance variant?

Think 3000GT/ Stealth. They used a mass produced engine and tuned it for performance, and the 6.4 Hemi that was built for performance cars but found its way into heavy duty trucks.

(hope I worded that right)

12. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

It likely just comes down to cost and what the design parameters are. A born and bred hot motor may be too costly to put in a few hundred thousand mainstream cars while a good daily driver engine may need some exceedingly expensive upgrades to get any real performance out of it. The sweet spot may also depend on what brand it finds itself in. A Dodge engine will need to follow the brand image and be more on the performance side even in the most basic trim. A Chrysler may lean heavier toward economy and smoothness at a lower cost. Jeep can be harsher running as long as it puts out low end torque. Each configuration is a little different and each engine application, even when it's called the same name, can be pretty unique.

VoiceOfReason and tomit like this.
  13. superduckie5000

superduckie5000 THE MAD DUCK
    Level III Supporter

Dundee Ain't All that Busy !

14. superduckie5000

Level III Supporter

Hanging Turbo's off Both Sides (Or Even 1 Side) is a Problem on a V - 6 !

djsamuel and T_690 like this.
  15. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Absolutely!

Agree. Big bore V6 60° run into packaging problems with turbocharging.

VoiceOfReason likes this.
  16. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

I’m betting it’ll be Dundee as well. Makes too much sense with the WGE likely being phased out over the next several years. Wondering if FCA is considering using 3 cylinder units as compact “range extenders” for a plug-in hybrid system? If so, Dundee makes even more sense given its multiple plants, and a like-for-like replacement for the afore mentioned WGE.

17. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The GME and GSE are "modular" engines families,

"...
    These new engine families feature a modular approach from a shared cylinder design (allowing for different engine configurations, displacements, efficiency and power outputs) and are expected to cover a large range of vehicle applications and introduce features and technologies such as direct injection, downsizing, turbocharging, and cooled exhaust gas recirculation to improve efficiency, while also addressing internal friction and thermal management.
    ..."
    Similar approach was used for "Pratola Serra" engines in the past, so same family, but diesel or gasoline engines, 4 or 5 cylinders, cast iron blocks (most) or aluminium ones, ...
    For example the Alfa Romeo 4C engine, the 1742 cc 240 CV all aluminium alloy engine VVT is part of that family of engine sas well as is the 1.6 liter diesel engine 120 CV that is found in many different FCA models (Renegade, Compass, 500X, Tipo, ...).

AlfaCuda and ScramFan like this.
  18. Detonator Yellow

Detonator Yellow Well-Known Member

So this engine is going to be an all arounder.

Honestly I just wish we would have something as useful as the RB and the 1/2jz-gte. I understand that the 225 was that engine but I can't recall seeing it in a high performance application.

I'm really excited about this engine and I'm following this story closely because when it releases I'll be 2/3 complete with paying for my Dart and it'll be cool to see it in a small coupe

19. superduckie5000

Level III Supporter

The Slant Six Had a Hi-Po Version. Complete with a 4 - Bbl. Carb.
    The slant six Hyper-Pak (at https://www.allpar.com/mopar/hyper-pak.html )
    We Even Tried an Aluminum Block Version of the Slant Six.
    The Stories from My Older Fellow Toolmakers at Trenton Engine is that the Scrap Rate for the Alum. Block Was 80 to 90% .
    You Can't Make Money with a Scrap Rate that High.

They Tried to Run them on the Cast Iron Block Line (Lift and Carry, Transfer Machines).
    Needless to say Cast Iron and Aluminum Has Very, Very Different Machining Characteristics.
    They Tried Different Drills and Other Tools. But the Machines Speeds (RPM & Feed Rates were Locked In)
    I Have Seen the Aluminum Blocks for Sale at W.P. Chrysler Car Club Swap Meets A Number of Times.
    The Original 4-Bbl. Intakes Too.

VoiceOfReason, MJAB and freshforged like this.
  20. KCP Worker

KCP Worker Well-Known Member

For many years, there were three of our unmachined cast aluminum slant six blocks in the basement. After many cleanups, they disappeared. I hope they were saved in any way possible, instead of being melted down.

AvengerGuy and superduckie5000 like this.