AF: Who gets the new six? | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who gets the new six?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Jan 31, 2018.

1. AutoTechnician

AutoTechnician Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but you are completely and utterly wrong. The 2.7 is a brand new motor, from the ground up. There is not a single other engine in Ford's lineup with a remotely similar design. It's not even remotely similar to the 2.7L/3.0L V6 diesels that JLR use. The only "diesel technology" it has, is a CGI block. It doesn't even share anything with other ecoboost engines.

Same thing with the Nissan VR series of V6 engines. There is no N/A version. All versions are twin-turbo.
    That's still a hair longer than the Pentastar, and over a liter smaller in displacement.

VoiceOfReason likes this.
  2. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I'll always believe that this is more about premium applications then anything else. Everyone else has no trouble making TT V6s, but FCA decides to go in a completely different direction. Only Daimler, BMW and Jaguar are on this course.

James A likes this.
  3. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Either way they had to redo an all new 6 so i'm sure they weighed all teh options before moving forward. Vw uses a straight 5 which perfroms amazingly while also looks and sounds sexy as hell

4. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

FCA has already two twin-turbocharged, gasoline direct injection engines.

The V6 60° used by Maserati, that uses a modified version of Pentastar block.
    It is modified because the heads are new design, some say are partially derived from the V8 turbo to cut development costs. Same as V8 are direct injection system, chamber design, same or similar pistons, ... so turbocharging with gasoline direct injection is nothing new for FCA.
    Maximum output should be 424 HP.
    [​IMG]

V6 90° twin-turbocharged, gasoline direct injection, ...
    This one has the peculiarity that can run on only three cylinders, deactivating one bank.
    Maximum power output 507 HP.

[​IMG]

Than there are all the diesel engines, that are all direct injection and all turbocharged.
    Lst gasoline engines maximum rpm in last years are becoming lower and lower, more similar to diesel engines, than high revving gasoline engines of the past.

Many of technologies are shared with diesel engines, and also solutions to emissions, such as particualte from direct gasoline by use of filters (easier in gasoline anyway since lower volume of air to treat).

For electrification of engines is required space (and cooling), turbochargers will be coupled with e-chargers.
    Electrification is nothing "fancy", even if manufacturers will market as "performance enhance", "more confort", ... the real reason is that without it manufacturers will not be able to meet emissions targets in most areas worldwide, for example European Union and China.

To the packaging difficulties has also to be added the maintenance/service required for each solution, inline or V.

The V6 90° dressed from rear and with the transaxle connected to carbon fiber shaft (note: there is Mopar logo on the transaxle casting for the curious :)).
    [​IMG]

#64 MJAB, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  5. Zachary

Zachary Active Member

I assume that is an 8speed unit cast at Kokomo? Or are the 8speeds for Maserati and Alfa cast/built elsewhere?

6. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The one in the photo should be the Getrag S6-53 manual transmission.

The ZF 8HP (second generation) high torque of the Quadrifoglio should be manufactured in Germany.
    If I am not wrong, also for other FCA vehicles, that need the high torque version of ZF 8HP, the production plant is the ZF one in Germany (Challenger SRT Hellcat, Demon, ...).

#66 MJAB, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  7. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Well-Known Member

The S6-53 is a ZF. According to the computer anyways. What are the Chances FCA may now be casting some of those ZF transmissions under license.

8. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Yes, You are right, a manual Getrag G217 is used with 2.2 diesel engines.
    S6-53 is from ZF.

9. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

superduckie5000, MJAB and ScramFan like this.
  10. tf34mech

tf34mech Active Member

Will this be a HEMI Six? (Blasphemy I know.)

James A likes this.
  11. James A

James A Active Member

Would be cool! I think I've read here that it will be based on the GME 4 banger so I'd think not on the Hemi question... But I'm not sure. Mike or Bob are the ones I go to for knowledge.

12. tf34mech

tf34mech Active Member

426_Hemi_DOHC_11187075887.jpg Here's a picture of the infamous 4 cam engine. If you read the combustion chamber design in the description it's a "Hemispherical pentroof." design. If they could do it then they can do it now maybe.;)

13. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

I noticed in the press materials for the 2018 Fiats that the1.4 liter engines are no longer coming from Dundee. That leaves a lot of floor space.

superduckie5000 likes this.
  14. MoparJoe

MoparJoe Well-Known Member

There is so much stuff coming .... I'm very excited for FCA

danbek, ScramFan and wilbur like this.
  15. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

Ive received some info on the new inline 6 coming for fca. Sent u a message redriderbob

16. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

feel free to send it to me too! :D

Cody's Car Conundrum likes this.
  17. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

It's not it. GME-T6 is having some outside help... but its not the company you stated.

18. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

I found it profoundly odd but from a good source.

19. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

All American baby :)

Mike

20. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

Built in Windsor though right? :p

VoiceOfReason and wtxiceman like this.