AF: Who gets the new six? | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who gets the new six?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Jan 31, 2018.

1. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

That's still North America.

VoiceOfReason likes this.
  2. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Not GME-T6

3. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

The joke was toward the "All American" and the LD/LX cars being built in Canada is all ;)

4. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Maybe some would not like it but if "helper" is Mazzucconi there is no better.

ScramFan likes this.
  5. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

American Muscle ----- errrr Designed in America, Assembled in Canada Muscle ;)

6. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

7. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

No worries I got the joke. Merely making more obvious that American made can mean more than USA.

8. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

No sir

Mike

9. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

I feel as though the term "American" is exclusive of Canadians tbh. Not in a "I'm offended" kind of way, but us Canadians don't refer to ourselves as North American.

EDIT - ...or American in general actually.

Eh.

UN4GTBL, Bill Sample, bluskye and 2 others like this.
  10. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying they are making engine blocks but they are certainly one of the best in the business.

Also they can only provide tooling.

11. Mike V.

Certainly not arguing their credentials.

Mike

12. Mike V.

Need some cheese? :D

Mike

13. James A

James A Active Member

I feel the same way. I've heard it said that Dodge and Benz are the two companies that make muscle cars... make of that what you will. I see Dodge aiming at the premium euro brands but with an American muscle individuality to it (especially with regard to SRT) in the next gen. I guess we'll see. Losing 200-300 lbs( is 300 lbs still considered realistic?) I think puts the Charger and Chally it in 5 series territory and with 2.0T's and I6's it's looking more and more like an American competitor to the Euro performance brands - with American muscle flare to it! IMO. Just an opinion!

#93 James A, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    VoiceOfReason and freshforged like this.
  14. Mike V.

BMW, Mercedes, and LRJ are not the only ones...

GM has been developing a new inline six cylinder for some time. It is expected to be produced in Flint, Michigan. It will be used in rear wheel drive applications, just like FCA plans to use theirs. It will be used in the all new Silverado and Sierra pickups and is expected to be used in the Colorado and Canyon pickups.

Ford had been producing successful inline six cylinder engines down under until 2010.

Inline six cylinders have packaging advantages compared to TTV6’s, especially for rear wheel drive applications line trucks and SUV’s. Additionally the inline six is a smoother and more efficient design.

Mike

15. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I get why there's a move towards this straight six stuff. On paper, it makes sense, inline 6 built off a current engine. I get that, but their case for it begins to erode when it's known that the Pentastar will stay around for the foreseeable future. You make your new cars just like the competition, then you start getting compared to them item for item. And Bam Dodge loses. Why? Because customers are willing to overlook things if they feel they are getting something more then the others offer. The Dart and 200 are prime examples.

16. Adventurer55

Inline sixes are not smoother then a 60 degree V6. Maybe with balance shafts added.

17. Mike V.

As explained before, this engine does not replace the Pentastar V6, it will eventually replace the base mode V8. The turbo four cylinder will eventually replace the Pentastar V6 in the future.

As production ramps up on the turbo inline four over the next several years, the Pentastar will eventually be phased out.

All the manufacturers are following the formula listed above, replace naturally aspirated V6 engines with turbo four cylinder engines and replace entry V8 is engines with turbocharged sixcyli der engines.

Dodge is not losing anything.

Again, Dodge is not losing anything. FCA will have a full line of engines that will range from highly efficient to high performance. All of these potential combinations have been discussed here on this forum.

Mike

18. Adventurer55

That may be, but they do not have the Hemi name attached to their cars either.

19. Mike V.

Not correct, and inline six engine is naturally harmonic.

Spinning cancels the rod swing vs engine shake. The cylinders are perpendicular to the crank which cancels which cancels back and forth forces of the crankshaft. The inline six is normally symmetric across the midplane which allows for pitching and yawing motions to be canceled out. The final degree of freedom is based on engine timing, and variable engine timing helps smooth this out.

Modern inline six cylinder engines are known for being extremely smooth with very little NVH.

Mike

20. Mike V.

Again, the Hemi is not going away.

Mike

#100 Mike V., Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    VoiceOfReason and MoparJoe like this.