Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why 135 foot pounds

Discussion in '200, Avenger/Sebring, Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze' started by genso, Jul 27, 2017.

1. genso

genso New Member

I replaced lower control arms on 1999 cirrus and have a question..the manual says not to torque the front lower bolt on control arm til last and to torque it to 135 ft pounds...why? I'm not sure if I can even tighten it that much...what would happen if I tightened it first, as I did, to 85 ft pounds...will it damage something? I sure hope not.

2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Usually a tightening sequence and amount is done as a means of centering or aligning items in a given sequence . It is a pre-loading method and should be followed. You can always use an extension on the end of a torque wrench to get the proper reading, the amount of 135 lb-ft is determined by the factory and needed to keep things from coming loose while driving down the road.

DC-93 likes this.
  3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

When doing a final tightening on suspension components, it is good practice to give the final snug with the car sitting on the ground with the weight on the wheels in a normal, relaxed geometry. This way the bushings are set in the normal position and not with the arms hanging down like with the car on a jack.
    When bushings are tightened with the arms hanging and then the car is set down on the ground, the bushing rubber will 'twist' and possibly tear from the strain:
    4e5b30_5a210f5ec53243f5b1729fc336528e18.jpg
    We have a drive-on lift with ramps at work so the car is sitting with the full weight on its tires while we work underneath the car.

4. genso

genso New Member

so did I damage my front bushing? the car is still on jack.

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter