AF: Why are 2 cycle engines so hard to start?? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are 2 cycle engines so hard to start??

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by voiceofstl, May 25, 2017.

1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Its that time of the year again, to bring out the weed eater and chain saw.
    You would think after 100 years of 2 stroke engines the darn things would be easy to start by now. The instructions on some of them are crazy..,,pump primer 7 times , put on full choke and pull rope 3 times then prime 2 more times and put on half choke .ect..ect...

And no its not me, everyone I know has the same problem.

solutions???

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Not everyone has the same problem. I have all hand tools, human-powered.
    They start first try, every time. :p

3. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I have a 12 year old Ryobi string trimmer with the 49cc engine. I simply put gas in it, prime it the required 7 times with the bulb and crank it . It USUALLY starts on the 3rd or 4th pull. Maybe you should try a shot of starting fluid every time. That always works. You may have a small crack or hole in one of the fuel lines on the carburetor. That's the ONLY thing I've had to replace on mine in 12 years. The only reason I found it is because it leaked out a half tank of gas overnight last year.

4. schelled

schelled Well-Known Member

First thing to do is put in fresh gas and a new sparkplug....my string trimmer starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull every time, prime it twice choke and away it goes....if you are having to prime it so many times you probably have a leaking crank seal or a fuel line crack or a poor quality trimmer.....get a stihl or some other type of high quality trimmer and saw...I have a 30 year old stihl saw that will start immediately even if it has sat for several years

DC-93 likes this.
  5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I am having this problem with my generator — I apparently need to clean out the carburetor. Be nice if I could just spray something in, but it's a matter of taking the fuel bowl apart... bleh.

I use electric trimmers and lawnmowers to avoid that nonsense. Much quieter, do pretty much the same job with pretty much the same effort, last longer, and no need to always go out and get gasoline (or pull on a cord).

Tony K and voiceofstl like this.
  6. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Hey Dave, what size line does your electric trimmer use? And how often do you have to replace the bump feed? I'm on my 3rd bump feed head and they're getting harder to find every few years. The so-called UNIVERSAL fits don't work correctly.

7. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Usually improper winter storage adds to the "hard start" the following year.
    Always drain all the fuel before putting the item away for the winter!
    This includes the tank, lines and carb bowl.
    Ask me how I know. lol...
    Works the same way for the snow blower!!
    Change the plug, oil, air filter yearly. My old snow blower starts first pull, every time.

8. voiceofstl

I GAVE UP! Got a ryobi 40 volt battery trimmer. ITS GREAT!

9. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

I’ll be replacing my 2 stroke lawn tools with battery powered tools too. The battery life, power and quiet operation beats eliminates the gas mix and hard starting.
    I use WD40 as a starting fluid for hard to start 2 strokers.

DC-93 and Tony K like this.
  10. voiceofstl

I;ve used my new rybiy.its a 40 volt, there more powerful expensive models. My ryobi is almost a powerful as my old gas one. and it suits my uesesd just fine.

11. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

You have a 30 year old Stihl. I don't mean to badmouth new Stihl products, but those old Stihls were built to last for sure.

DC-93 likes this.
  12. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

Around here I’m known as the 2 stroke whisperer. All 4 of mine start right up, the Echos on the 3rd pull the Toro on the first or second. Fuel stabilizer+semi syn or full syn 2 stroke oil...the Toro has a thumping Suzuki 5 hp 2 stroke that’s 22 years old!

tlc, DC-93 and rapidtrans like this.
  13. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I gave up on my old gas string trimmer years ago because I could never get it to run consistently well anymore. I bought a corded string trimmer in a pinch because that was all that was available the day when I just couldn’t take the frequent stalling anymore, and I’ve never looked back. Lugging around extension cords is a bit of a PITA, but I’ve managed for several years now...if it dies maybe I’ll switch to battery powered. I’ve really come to enjoy electric tools. Only my push mower is gas now.

14. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

When we bought our house I had to get a new trimmer because my old corded trimmer wasn't going to work with the size of our yard. I went with the 56V EGO line at Home Depot and got a trimmer and leaf blower combo. Couldn't be happier.

15. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

We found a Mercury Marine Whisperer up near the cottage years ago. We had issues with stalling and this guy set up our outboard on the pontoon just by ear. Twenty five years later and I‘ve never touched the carbs and only replaced the plugs twice. When it started each spring I left it alone. Some guys just have the touch.

DC-93 and page2171 like this.
  16. voiceofstl

The EGO is top of the line and If you have alot of trimming to do thats the way to go. The 40 volt ryobi so far is plenty for my needs.

17. voiceofstl

I've always thought a corded elecritic would be much more popwerfull then battery. I had the black&decker corded trimmer 10 yrs ago, it was way to weak. My new battery one is almost as strong as a gas trimmer.

18. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

No battery powered tools here. I do have a corded electric chain saw (14 in) and a corded electric hedge trimmer. Both have served me well. Otherwise my mower is self-propelled 21 inch gas powered Yard Machine to cut a half acre. I have considered a battery powered mower for my next purchase.

19. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

I have a half acre with privacy fence on two sides. The battery on the EGO will get all my trimming done if I stay on top of the trimming. If I let it slide for a couple of weeks, then I have to recharge.

My sister has a smaller place and she got the Ryobi, it works really well for her.

20. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Hmmm, I’ve never had any issues with it lacking power, but it’s only 3 years old or so (It is a Black & Decker). I had a rechargeable B&D that was pretty weak and it was discharged after about 30 minutes or so which made it pretty useless for our last house (3/4 acre with lots of sidewalks and fencing). We now have a slightly smaller yard (.53 acre) with less sidewalk area and less fencing. I may try an actual battery trimmer at some point to see what they’re like by comparison...it would be nice to get rid of the cord, especially if it’s the same or better for power.