Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are you here?

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by james.mooney., Jan 20, 2015.

1. jglen490

jglen490 Active Member

So why is it necessary to rationalize membership in a forum, or even any expression of fandom in some brand?

2. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

It's not.

But, IMO, there are no other cars and truck on the planet, except for Chrysler built ones.

Mopartial, MoparDanno and BASONE88 like this.
  3. BASONE88

Supporter

The thread and the question is; Why are you here? So, you?

caine440 likes this.
  4. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I have been following this topic for a while and finally decided to reply. I was born and raised in a mopar family and drove nothing but mopars until 2003. I fell away from Chrysler when they dropped Plymouth( a stupid move ) and then the takeover I have watched them not knowing which way to go. I come here and post every so often, but most of the time just read what is going on. Chrysler died in the 90s with the take over and what is there today is a name. When I read that the Chrysler brand is going mainstream I laugh , It just tells me that fiat has no clue as to what is going on in the US . I actually feel sorry for some of the people here saying that they will only buy Mopar, which died along time ago. This was the company that started the minivan and convertible market and now they are basically leaving it. I wish that Lee would have put Lutz in charge instead of dummy Eaton and maybe we would have a company to be proud of. Chrysler was always upscale to me you bought a Plymouth or Dodge and then tried to upgrade to a Chrysler. Now it is mainstream when a lot of foreign brands are going upscale. I really feel sad what has happened to this company and the direction it is going, maybe they are selling but guys it isn't the company that I use to love. I know a guy that always bought Chryslers and has a 200 convertible and when he found out that no longer make one he said he will buy a different product. So post what you want about Chrysler they died in the 90s so I mess with the older mopars that I still consider a true Chrysler product not just a name. Also you never knew what their warranty was from year to year and believe me warranty and dealer experience is very important to repeat buyers I have probably missed something but that basically says how I feel.

Mopartial, dana44 and HotCarNut like this.
  5. SE Charger

SE Charger Well-Known Member

Why am I here? I am related to Walter Briggs owner of Briggs Manufacturing that was purchased by Chrysler after his death in the 50's. Growing up everyone in my family (including extended family) owned Chrysler products and a few of them worked for Chrysler,

dreinecke likes this.
  6. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

I had friends and family and neighbors who worked for Briggs before and after Chrysler bought them.

7. jglen490

jglen490 Active Member

I have two Chrysler products and two non-Chrysler products - as listed in my signature. It's only logical to associate with resources that may prove useful to my use of those products. Prior to the current vehicles, I have owned GM, other Ford, and other Chrysler cars.
    From bumonbox's quote in the first post for this thread, "Sad as it may be. Too many people invest themselves in a name. The only qualification for approval needed is sufficient association with that name." I'm not here to be liked for my association with Chrysler cars or trucks, since my association with those cars is pretty much indifferent. I do have some great memories of the '75 Dart Sport that I once owned and foolishly let get away, but that's all they are - memories. No Chrysler tatoos (or Ford, GM, etc. for that matter) or dealer memorabilia on display in my man-cave. No "MOPAR or no car" slogans. If I am helpful to someone in my comments, observations, or experience - that's great, glad to be of service. I also appreciate the ideas I've read here, and have made good use of some.

I'm here to share. I'm here to learn. Sorry, nothing glorious to run up a flagpole somewhere.

BASONE88 and Zagnut27 like this.
  8. grungerockjeeper

grungerockjeeper Active Member

For me Mopar love has always been there, but its Jeep was always the hook firmly set to reel me in. Some of the very earliest memories I have as a kid was my dad bringing home a weathered '69 CJ-5 for plowing snow, and many hours spent riding shotgun. I was like 2 or 3 years old then, but Ive loved Jeeps ever since. That one was my dad's only Jeep, but I went on to own 5 myself (2 CJ-7s, a Scrambler, a YJ and a TJ), my sister had an XJ. But Mopars were always there in the mix. A couple years before I was born in '74 my parents bought a brand new Coronet wagon, my grandparents had a '71 or '72 Coronet sedan, my dad took over my gramma's '71 340 Barracuda--traded for that wagon, of course! My first vehicle ever was the '84 Dodge Power Ram my dad got since he'd been aching for another truck after owning 2 late 70s Fords. Bought in 1990, that same Ram is still with my dad, and has been steadily getting upgrades ever since. Since my last Jeep Ive also owned a '03 PT Cruiser GT 5spd and now have a '05 Rumble Bee.

Ive liked a few individual cars/trucks from GM and Ford too...but in most cases there was an equivalent Mopar that just had a little something different going on. Early Blazers are an example. With a full removeable roof those are clean rigs...always loved them, but 1st gen Ramchargers just appeal to me that little bit more since my time in that '84 Ram makes them more familiar. Ive never been much for Japanese cars at all...they just have an air of cold efficiency about them that a gearhead such as myself cant fully embrace. Z cars, old school Land Cruisers, Subaru Brats/Bajas, Supras, etc aside, they just come off as soul-less appliances. If I ever owned a non-Mopar it would likely be something European but still stylish and sporty or powerful and intimidating. A 2 door BMW, performance Mini (old or new), a Audi RS-5, a classic aircooled VW, or a GTI would be a slice of Eurotrash that has my eye.

My taste in cars runs polar opposite sometimes. To look at me (I look like a test tube experiment using DNA from Rich from Hardcore Pawn, Richard Rawlings, and the slim jim buy) most expect me to be into the '68 Chargers, Hemi Cudas, beefed up Jeeps, rat rods, bobbers and choppers that I very much AM a fan of and aspire to own. But as my owning a turbo PT Cruiser shows, I also see potential in underdogs that have the bones and substance of a winner. Mopars have always had that scrappy underdog aura. They may never get the sales as your beige cammacords but they were never meant to appeal to more people who have less skin in the game. Mopars are 'car people's cars' and that will always be the hook. I hope they never lose that.

dreinecke likes this.
  9. ziaber

ziaber Member

1st Dodge : 1992 Daytona Shelby 2.5t. The days the speedometer didn't work, either did the rev limiter. Fast, good handling fun car. It power shifted very well. The old man had several minivans that my uncle sold him after he closed his GM dealership. I also got to drive almost all new vehicles ChryCo. came out with in the early nineties helping my uncle at the dealer. I've driven Dodge most my adult life. Second Dodge: 1997 Stratus put 650000k's before I sold it.
    Current 2010 Dodge Laramie 1500 140k's. Next, well hoping on a new 1500 in 17....

10. Mopartial

Mopartial Fits and Finishes
    Level III Supporter

To learn from others here, most of whom know much more than I.
    To read others' love for all things Mopar.
    My GM-or-Toyota-only days ended with the advent of the K-car. I dropped my Consumer Reports subscription, and have never again been disappointed.

DC-93 and dreinecke like this.
  11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Ain't it the truth?

I was very annoyed with them when they finally did affordable cars, a category they had once done regularly, and slammed the Sundance. The hatch stayed at eye level so you could hit yourself on it (I noticed other cars were similar.) They whined about the foot-operated parking brake (on a car where 98% of the ones sold were automatics) which I actually preferred — though I had a manual. It went on and on about flaws that they would ignore in a Toyota or Ford.

Then there was their constant harping on the Ultradrives followed by the admission that Ford's transmissions in the Taurus were actually worse.

It goes on...

dreinecke likes this.
  12. zack_falcon

zack_falcon Active Member

Lots of enthusiasts here.

I won't claim to be a car enthusiast, or even an owner. As I said in my "Welcome to Allpar" post, I'm from the Philippines, an economically challenged country in Asia. As such, the car scene here is complex.

Asian brands rule the roads here. Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Hyundai, Suzuki, and Kia are the norm. They have, over the years, built a reputation for being a great value for the cost. While not always reliable, they were relatively simple, rugged, durable, and failing that, with the abundance of spare parts, they could be repaired for a reasonable amount. They are vehicles for the masses, and while there's nothing wrong with that, with so many of them in such little space, one quickly gets tired of flashy, LOOK AT ME!!1!!111!! designs, and the more subtle, practical, and beauty-in-simplicity designs can register as boring.

In contrast, American and European cars are "rich people's cars". As they are imported, they are expensive to begin with (sans the Asia-only models, such as Ford Ranger and Everest). As fuel is cheaper in their place of origin, mileage is abysmal, though this isn't always the case. And of course, with only so many to go around, very, very few people had the experience in repairing them, and parts had to be imported as well, driving up the cost. Despite these issues, they had a reputation to have superior materials, luxurious feel, and better looks, even if it weren't always true.

The third segment is the home-made variety. After WWII, there was a surplus of Army Jeeps. Repurposing these vehicles for farming, people / cargo hauling, and new military requirements is where many of us got our first and only experience working with cars. Using this experience, copies and home-made cars surfaced. From stretched and lowered Jeeps to four-door Wrangler YJs, they had a reputation for being ugly as sin, as safe as a death trap, and as reliable as an American car. However, I admire their honesty, and they get the job done.

That's a lot of cars in a small country. One would assume that I would, out of practicality, want one of the Asian brands. But growing up, my family had a home-made Wrangler YJ. It was a little longer and a little wider than what a YJ should be, and it was 2WD only and had IFS, but until it was thoroughly neglected, it worked, and in the sea of curves and jellybean-shaped cars, it stood out.

As such, I grew up wanting the real deal. The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited combined the ruggedness of Asian cars past, the American car's impressive look and feel, and the home-made car's slice of honesty. It is unfortunate, however, that it still has the primary downside of American cars - cost. But as I said before, if I can't own it, I might as well read all about it and pretend I do, because who knows?

That's why I'm here.

HotCarNut and MoparNorm like this.
  13. Rich Hutchinson

Rich Hutchinson I'm so far behind I thought I was in first place.
    Level 2 Supporter

*waves meekly*

Well I first came here during the early, early days. I think the bad dcx years were the start of me fading off, along with the death of Plymouth. Today, they really don't have what I'd be looking for if my trusty PT met a bad end. Closest would be the 500L or the Compass. I am glad the interiors have upgraded, the current 300 interior looks as nice as my 99 LHS. I do come by here and am getting the itch to hang around a bit more... Would be great if the forum was Tapatalk compatible...

jerseyjoe and FreeLantz like this.
  14. Voyager_Expresso

Voyager_Expresso Unusually Geeky

I'm an old timer here. I've been a Mopar fan since I was a little tyke and I've owned a substantial number of them (Mopars, not tykes). I'm also a big fan of AMC vehicles. I haven't been active over the past several years because I didn't have any Mopars in the driveway. When they discontinued production of the short wheelbase, "standard" length minivans, we switched over to a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx (a great car, by the way).

Fast forward to yesterday, when I picked up a 2006 Town & Country "standard" length minivan. It's well equipped with the "popular equipment package" and the modular seating. It's in nice shape and I'm really happy to be back behind the wheel of such a minivan. I like these standard length minivans for their maneuverability and zippiness, along with their still-cavernous interiors.

15. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

I've been reading this website and browsing these forums for years but finally joined not that long ago. I come from a Chrysler family. I am from Toledo and my father is a retiree from the Toledo Machining Plant in Perrysburg, Ohio. I have uncles who work there, a cousin who works at the Warren plant and many friends who work at the Cherokee plant. I had a good life growing up and saw my father work hard. His job was to maintain the furnaces that brazed copper fins in torque converters. He has all kind of scars on his arms from getting burnt. He went through getting fingers severed (a worker turned a furnace on why may father was working on one and his hand got caught in a chain and gear), back surgery and has all kinds of joint issues. Growing up he never knew what shift he was working- maybe one week on third, another on first, etc- he got bumped a lot until he had seniority. I don't know how it did it with his crazy sleep patterns. He have up money to save Chrysler in the 80s, went on strike and had no or little pay quite a few times, but prospered in the 90s. He went through all of this for my mom, brother and I. We went to a Catholic grade and high school and he payed for most of my college degree. I am writing this not to get sympathy but to get across why maybe some of us are here. I kind of have very emotional ties to Chrysler, as I feel my life growing up and the opportunites I have were because of that company and the sacrifices my father made for us. I'm 44 now and have gotten a lot of crap from people for sticking with Chrysler products all these years and not buying Toyotas and Honda's. Some people just don't understand. That is why I am here. Anyway, I have been a huge fan of Chrysler and always reading about the tech and info on their cars. If I ever win the lottery I will build a big garage and have nothing but Chrysler/ FCA products in them.

16. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Because with the help and good will, Chrysler will become someday a better company, if not the best. !

'02 Berty and BASONE88 like this.
  17. '02 Berty

'02 Berty New Member

Ultimately, I would like to see FCA succeed in every division and model offering. I would like to see FCA hit every market niche squarely at the competition. Strong, solid, competent product offerings across the board. A manufacturer (force) to be reckoned with.

#57 '02 Berty, May 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    AvengerGuy and Mr.Source like this.
  18. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

I'm here because of the patient and knowledgeable people here who are willing to share their knowledge with me. I love Allpar.

19. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit
    Level 2 Supporter

I once owned three Second Gen Minivans, a Plymouth Caravelle Turbo, a Full size Dodge van, a 1987 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) 2dr, and cared for both a 1990-ish Dodge Shadow and a 1966 Polara with the 383 BB.

I discovered Allpar quite by accident and never regretted joining.

I now own a 1996 XJ 4 dr. (Avatar pic), sadly, the Jeep is the only Mopar left in the family stable. The rest of the family has moved on to Ferds, Gm's and 'Yota's. I've had less issues with my Mopars than I have with any other brand.

Oh yeah, I also supply tech articles for allpar when I have a subject of interest.

Dave Z likes this.
  20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

He sure does. Very good tech articles, really!