Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are you here?

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by james.mooney., Jan 20, 2015.

1. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit
    Level 2 Supporter

Thank you Dave!

2. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

My first car was a 1954 Plymouth Belvedere, hard for a teen to like but ease of maintenance and inexpensive to operate hooked me. Now I want to keep Fiat in line any way i can. But i gotta say this ownership thing is getting old.

3. CivoLee

CivoLee Active Member

Pretty much my reason for being on this forum is summed up here.

For the TL;DR types, I'm here because of Alfa Romeo coming back to America with Dodge's help, and because other US Alfa sites focus on classic cars while I'm more interested in current ones.

BASONE88 and jerseyjoe like this.
  4. joe427

joe427 New Member

I have loved mopars since 1975 I drove a Chrysler New port, that car and a bunch of slant six cars ,..by the dozen I raced them on the street and they were the best...yes they have there little quirks,.....but I love them . I will always be loyal to Mopar!!!!

5. CLShifter

CLShifter Member

Some of my earliest childhood memories are of playing with Hot Wheels cars, with my uncles, in the "way-back" of my grandfather's '74 Fury station wagon. While in motion, of course. And the unique cigarettes-and-vinyl upholstery smell of my grandmother's '76 Dart. Then of course there was the General Lee which I was obsessed with at the same time.

It went on from there. When I was about 8 my Mopar-head grandfather and uncle worked together to fix up a '73 Charger for my uncle's first car. A few years later my Dad and I were joining them at the Mopar Nationals every year. The peak of this was when I was 14 or 15 and my uncle and his best friend had a pair of orange Roadrunners, a '68 and a '70, parked on the grounds at the Nats. My uncle's daily driver during those years was an '86 Daytona Turbo, then later a '91 V6. I lusted after those cars. When I was 14 my Dad let me drive his '88 LeBaron coupe around a parking lot. I loved that car so much, it was gorgeous, even with its engine troubles.

When I turned 16, however, reality kicked in and I ended up with an '82 Datsun 200SX that was for sale down the street for $400. That was followed by an '88 Accord hatch that got me through most of college until my Mopar desire got to be too much and I bought a '94 Dakota Sport 3.9. That served me for a few years, through the end of college and my relocation from Buffalo, NY to Raleigh, NC. The Dak started to wear a bit thin as it approached 100k miles, and, now being in the rust-free South, I went back down the Nissan/Datsun path. I purchased a 1988 200SX SE V6 in 2001 and drove it every day for the next eight years. Eventually at 230k miles I retired it from DD duties, but I still have it in my garage, awaiting restoration and maybe future AutoX duties. By that time I was securely in the Nissan camp, Chrysler was building nothing that interested me, and I bought a '96 200SX SE-R. After my daughter was born and getting her in and out of the back of a 2-door got old, I traded up to a 2005 Sentra SE-R Spec V.

Through all this time, I still loved Mopar, had models of 'Cudas and Roadrunners, and followed developments at Chrysler closely. The last few years have been very exciting to me, with the improvements in the products of the U.S. automakers in general, and particularly the new products FCA is putting out. I considered getting a Dart when they came out, but the timing wasn't right, and I was underwhelmed when I drove one. So I waited.

Now I'm the owner of a new Jeep Renegade Latitude, 1.4 turbo six-speed manual. Even though it's Italian-made, I'm still proud to be able to make some small contribution to the continued survival and hopefully resurgence of my beloved Chrysler.

6. Dave_B

Dave_B New Member

2 words. General Lee. Still my favorite Chrysler product. My dad owned a number of Chryslers, a Plymouth Fury wagon, a 318 Monaco. My first car was an '81 024, have since had a D50, 2 Dakotas (one a 318), 2 Jeeps, and am currently on my second Charger. Only non Chrysler products have been a '72 Gran Torino, a beater Toyota PU, and a very briefly owned Ranger.

7. dak4x4

dak4x4 Member

My father owned a 2 door '39 Chrysler when I was a very small boy. I had to sit on the arm rest in the back seat while underway just to be able to see out the window. I bonded with Mopar's back then but to small to know it. Them days there were no child seats or even seat belts but we survived...

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

You also had parents who drove much slower (in a 1939 Chrysler there's no way you'd be doing 80 mph even if technically you could), no gadgets to distract anyone, and much, much, much less traffic.

Most of the roads weren’t paved so chances are your father was going at 20-30 mph most of the time.

We survived then because traffic was slower and less dense, there were fewer distractions, training was better, and roads were worse... but heck, look up the death toll per mile someday if you want more than an anecdote to prove your point and tell me how much things have gotten worse since we got seat belts.

dak4x4 likes this.
  9. abgwin

abgwin Well-Known Member

I guess I've always been a car nut; as a kid my favorite game was knowing what cars were on the road ahead and behind by only their head or tail lights. And growing up in an AMC/Mopar family meant I knew them best. I came home from the hospital in a 67 Ambassador wagon, which was replaced by a early 70s Rebel, learned to drive in a 75 Fury and took mom's 84 Fifth Avenue to the prom.

But my dad had what I like to call a "defective car gene" which meant he had to bring home something interesting, like a '57 BMW Isetta, or a VW Beetle with Autostick, or a '71 Honda 600 Z coupe, so I've had an affinity for the odd import right alongside the Chrysler products.

So for me, the combination of Chrysler and Fiat isn't blasphemous (certainly not like the disastrous Daimler-Chrysler 'merger') because without that, I do believe Chrysler and Dodge would be dead today, with the Ram existing as a Nissan and Jeep - best case - a Ford product, but very possibly Chinese. So I keep an open mind.

And while my daily driver is a Ram 1500 with a Hemi, my fun car is a Lancia Beta. So if these two can live side by side in my garage, why not at FCA?

I come to Allpar to hear about what's coming next, about how they are dealing with perhaps the toughest era for automobile manufacturers ever, and to daydream about how this will all turn out for the best. But what turns me off (and honestly has kept my participation to a minimum lately) is the constant Sergio/Fiat-bashing diatribe, the dogma that Jeep is on its deathbed, and nostalgia overwhelming reason with the desire to resurrect dormant brands that died natural deaths while bitterly resenting the investment in living brands that not only offer FCA a real opportunity to change the playing field, they will provide the basis for an entire new generation of products.

I think we all have great memories of cars past and certain eras where things were simpler, but just because something was true then does not make it true now. Clinging to what was and staying in 'comfort zones' is what has, in my opinion, hobbled Chrysler its entire existence. After all, if we don't embrace change as the one true constant, we might as well give up.

10. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

Can you tell us something about this car? What model, how long you've had it, what's it like? When I was young back in the 70s I really liked the looks of the handful of Lancia Betas that were driving around my home town.

11. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

CR can bite me. :cool:

floridaman2013 likes this.
  12. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Same goes for Car & Driver. For those of you that don't know, Pat Bedard a former editor of Car & Driver, worked at the PG for Chrysler. While there he totaled a Porsche 944 Turbo at the Proving Ground and was fired. When He became editor he made it his mission to discredit Chrysler and their cars whenever he could!

tomit likes this.
  13. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Never knew that. thanks!

14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Well, ... except for the time when Carl Breer and Fred Zeder and Owen Skelton were in charge. Enabled by Walter Chrysler and then KT Keller.

15. jerseyjoe

My dad, crew chief on a B29 told me a Chrysler would run till its body falls off. It stuck.

16. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Always stuck me as a weasel type.
    Didn't also try his hand as a race car driver? Crashed and burned at that also!

Dave Z likes this.
  17. Ditty

Ditty New Member

I'm here because I have had a lot of Chrysler cars over the last 75 years and when I saw the dash on the 2012 chrysler it made me think of the 1940 Chrysler Windsor I had. I had to have it. The 1940 Windsor was lite up like the 2012's dash. I loved that car and I think the 2012 Chrysler 300 is just as good as the Windsor. I have gone over the Chrysler 300 and it is has a lot of new technology I love. I'm 92 years old and have worked on cars all of my life.

Take care, Ditty

BASONE88 and somber like this.
  18. HoboChangba

HoboChangba Member

My dad had a 1955 Plymouth that got me started. Then he bought a 1958 Suburban wagon (got over 300k out of it - it rusted so bad he had to get rid of it). Then he got an early 60's van with a slant six (my dad had a tv repair business) that had over 100k on it when he bought it. That one too got over 300k on it. So I learned at a young age about Mopars. My brother's first car he got in 1969 (purchased from my Uncle in North Carolina). It was a 1947 Plymouth that had only 60k on it. My uncle drove it to church and the market. My dad went to get it (it was in is barn for years after my uncle died) and my dad changed the anti-freeze, oil and the fan belt and drove it back to Baltimore with no problems. My brother drove it for several years. Then my dad got an early 70's Ram van and he got over 250k out of that one and was getting out of the tv business so he downsized and got a Sundance small car.

My first car with my wife was a 1970 Plymouth Fury III VIP. I was all Mopar until the late 70's with all the inherent problems and drove a German Opel 1900 (Ascona). Then it was an Avanti (one of my dream cars) and after the Avanti I had a Monte Carlo for a couple of months (what a disaster of a car). Replace the Chevy with a 1993 Eagle Vision when they first came out. Got 180k out of that and have been in LH cars ever since. Still have as my daily driver a 2001 Dodge Intrepid R/T Motorsport, my wife drives a 2004 Concorde Limited and my son drives a 2004 300M.

I love Mopars, always have. Loved the looks, great engineering and I've gotten tons of miles and enjoyment out of the products.

Mopar or No Car !!!

somber and Dave Z like this.
  19. Detonator Yellow

Detonator Yellow Active Member

18 Years old.

Born in 1996, I only have 1 car to blame for me even being in the automotive world.

1996 Dodge Viper GTS, first seen when I was three years old on a video game (Test Drive 4).

I was the only one that could tell people how much the car weighed at the age of 3...

20. jerseyjoe

Paradigm shift, tired of warching Chrysler change hands, always thought Fiat cars were "cute". Want to see it work out for all involved and want to add my favorite seasoning to the mix.