Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are you here?

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by james.mooney., Jan 20, 2015.

1. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Active Member

I am here because I have been in love with anything Mopar since I can remember. My dad for a Sunday drive used to go to the CP dealers in my hometown of Binghamton,NY. I remember just being thrilled to see new cars and was hooked. As I matured , I discovered the world of NASCAR and followed it from the early sixties and wanted a HEMI car since forever. My first Dodge was a 69 B-5 Blue Swinger 340 4 speed. what a car. That started a parade of Chrysler Corp cars until this day. I bought my very first Hemi and I did for my retirement, a red Challenger R/T 6 speed. I will always be a fan and I wish the new FCA all the best going forward.
    Mopar or No car!

somber likes this.
  2. jetdogy

jetdogy New Member

I bought my1995 Dodge Neon Highline on April 01 1994 and I still have it and still "love" it. Has 105K on it, has normal wear, paint fading but still looks great! Here is a very recent photo of it :)

Attached Files:

Dave Z and james.mooney. like this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

We keep looking for a good manual Neon....

4. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

Why am I here? I grew up in a Chrysler family. My father's first car after returning home from WWII was a '46 Dodge. He had mostly Chrysler products throughout his life with few exceptions. He had a Packard Clipper (not sure what year), a '58 Chevy wagon, a '76 Ford E150, and a '96 Olds. All the rest were Chryslers of one kind or another. Cars, trucks, vans, SUVs, cab & chassis, imports, we had them all. We even had a '67 Sunbeam Tiger, which is the car I learned how to use a stick on before I was even old enough to have a license. Weird having a car with a brass Chrysler pentastar on the lower right front fender and a Ford engine under the hood. Loads of fun though! Wish we still had it.

Dave Z likes this.
  5. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Wow! Somebody that grew up in the same area I did. I lived in Endwell until 1976 - Dad was an engineer for IBM back then. Back then, we had a '66 Monaco wagon. Later Dad ordered a '72 Charger (after he and Mom divorced) We use to go to downtown Binghamton for the Broome County Dusters hockey games quite often. I don't think that league (NAHL?) exists anymore. We moved to VA in 1976 - got tired of the snow and taxes.

6. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Ha! I used to live up that way too (a little farther north though) in the Utica and Syracuse areas. That's where I bought my first Jeep, a 98 Wrangler SE. My brother still lives up in Cortland. He has an old farm house with a couple of barns where he stores all of the vintage Jeeps and other vehicles he restores. Beautiful area, but I don't miss the winters either!

7. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Active Member

Just to add to my post about my 340, I actually bought it from an IBM'er!
    I do not miss Binghamton but do treasure the memories...Speidies!!!

8. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Oh, How I miss those! Not many know what Spiedes are! LOL! Yeah, I don't miss Binghamton either.

9. Gortie

Gortie New Member

And yes, Why am i here?

Since ive been a little kid i was fascinating by Chryslers.
    My parents did own a Lebaron (Exactly the same i own now). And there the dream of me started.

I live in Holland, and Chryslers are quite rare here, except the 300C and Voyagers.
    But after seeing that Chrysler did made such much more beautiful cars and products the love started for Mopar.
    I even did met my Girlfriend, because of Chrysler. :) Its a long story hihi.

10. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Well that was a very interesting read... I think I had a tear in my eye when I got to Norm's post. Love hearing about all the interesting ways people get involved with this addiction of Moparisum. So that made me think how did I become a Mopar-nut and create 3 more. While looking back my parents were not loyal to any brand, Datsun, Ford, oh ya dad had a Dodge van and we went everywhere with that thing, then he went chevy. I remember in 1995 he had a 95 Chevy 3/4 ton and I had a 95 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton... without getting into details my dad was blown away that I had as much payload capacity as his truck... My old truck is still going his is scraped, what does that tell ya.
    It is trucks that hold me true to Mopar but if we had money there would be a couple mean Dodge cars in our driveway. Just wait though when my boys and I finish the 1951 M37 Power Wagon.. you all will be the first to see the pictures of it coming out of our garage.

floridaman2013, jerseyjoe and somber like this.
  11. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Chrysler is Rocky. Chrysler has been part of my life since the 50s when the family car was a 2 Door Plymouth Plaza Wagon. If it goes down I'll go with it. I am here to do as much as I can to prevent the loss of company and jobs that have kept me happy.

May be MOCA now that's all we got!. ;)

#91 jerseyjoe, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  12. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

I will keep my eye open for that!

13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

14. phillip123

phillip123 Member

To be honest, I first came here out of boredom. Than I needed some help with my car, and than I stayed FOREVER, forever, forever, forever..! :D

DC-93, Zagnut27 and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  15. 55Plaza

Level III Supporter

Can't say I grew up in a Chrysler Family. Dad's first car was a Plymouth, then GMs till '64. Mom & Dad's first car was a '59 Chevy - it's engine 'fell out' after 6 months, Dad traded it on a '60 Olds, traded the Olds on a '64 Ford as they bought the farm and the 11 mpg Olds had to go. After the ford it was a '67 Fury II, '69 Fury Sport & '73 Monaco and then back to Buicks. He started buying Dodge trucks in '70, after owning a strange '67 Ford.
    My first car was a 1955 Plymouth (if my aunt would have sold me her '59 Olds, I may have been an Olds fan) Plaza (bought in 1969) - it outran all my friend's Chevys, Pontiacs, Fords & Mercurys - with 6 cylinders, and the occasional V8. Since then I've never owned anything but Chrysler products. Only car I was really disappointed with & was troublesome was my '78 Monaco Brougham.
    I also discovered Allpar quite by accident and have never regretted joining.

ImperialCrown and somber like this.
  16. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

I guess I'll chip in...I have never been a Mopar fanatic. I grew up as a GM fan, but quickly realized once I had to support myself that a vehicle that met my needs was more important than brand loyalty. I have only owned 3 Mopars over the years, a 1988 Shadow, 2002 Grand Caravan, and a 2012 Grand Caravan. The Shadow was a cheap beater that turned out to be a pretty good car, but sold it before I made a cross-country move. We had the 2002 GC for close to 10 years and 180k miles before it was replaced by the 2012. When we got transferred to Okinawa only one of our cars could go into storage, the 2012 GC made the cut and my 2005 Silverado got sold (we both loved the GC, the Silverado not so much). Now, I'm hoping when we move back to the US to get a Mopar to park next to the GC. I'm not sure what it will be since I will be on a limited budget. I guess the point of this rambling is that I'm not so much of a Mopar fan as I am a car fan, but I come here because (at least in the last 10 years or so) there are more Mopars that interest me than the other brands available.

17. Courtney Smith

Courtney Smith New Member

I've admired Dodge WC series trucks used during WWII. Many are on different military instalations across the globe. Being in the military at one time myself and being told by some older generation soldiers on how rugged these trucks were I had to repair the jeeps my unit still had in 1987. Many lives saved due to Dodge. Also I do not like the actions of Ford in WWII using slave labor from the concentraion camps to build their vehicles. GM were savages towards their employs here in the US working them to death in the late 1930's. Dodge Jeep Plymouth Chrysler have been favorites growing up as a kid.

somber likes this.
  18. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

That's why my father's first purchase after returning home from Germany during WWII was a Dodge. He was impressed by the reliability of those Power Wagons during the war.

Dave Z likes this.
  19. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

It's pretty chilling to read some of Ford's stories from the Dearborn Independent from 1920 to 1922. They were reprinted in book form and Hitler read them - and I wonder if they were inspiration or confirmation. I can just envision a rudderless Hitler reading Ford's "The International Jew: The World's Foremost Problem" and suddenly finding his life's purpose. But maybe Hitler was already on the path, and this book just reinforced his tendencies. Either way, it was a true tragedy.

20. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I'll restart the topic. :)
    My dad's first Chrysler product was a '52 Plymouth Cranbrook. A stodgy, but fairly reliable car.
    With a new career and baby (me) in 1958, he bought his first new car a Hillman Minx. Hillman was part of the Rootes group then and years later would become Chrysler UK. He was no fan of what Detroit styling had become by 1958 anyway and this British car may have been his silent protest. ;)
    In 1964 he bought a Jeep Wagoneer 2WD (Kaiser-Willys then) for a growing family. We had a few problems with it and it always seemed to be needing repairs. He learned a lot about automobile repairs on that Jeep and I learned a lot by watching.
    In 1970 we were looking for another wagon for the family and the new Dodge Sportsman B200 Custom van seemed to fit the bill. We did look at full-size station wagons, but the utility and economy of the 'compact' van made more sense. The family (all 6 of us) were able to camp out in it and was a very adaptable vehicle. With the kitchen table in the back and mattresses above and below, it worked great.
    We were so fond of the B200 as an all-around vehicle, that we purchased a 1972 B100 with the slant 6 and stick shift as a 2nd car. Both were white, dad figured that white was the safest and most visible vehicle color.
    With the energy crisis of 1974, we panic-purchased a Fiat 128. The deals on Dusters were pretty good and may have made more sense in hindsight. The 128 was trouble and the frame was dangerously rusted after 4 years of NY salt-belt winters. RIP 128.
    In 1976, I graduated high school and went to Livonia Michigan for MoTech (the Chrysler Corp. vocational school). I started out as mostly all-thumbs, but I really wanted to be an auto mechanic for some reason. I was driven to learn this trade.
    The parents gave me the B100 and that got me into the custom van crowd with shag carpeting, stereo tape player, CB radio and one-way 'mirrored' glass. I had a lot of fun with that van.
    I returned to NY after receiving my certificate and got a job with an established Chrysler dealership. I worked for them for 18 years and saw a lot of changes. Iacocca was the biggest change. Daimler was another.
    Because of the family all grown up and going their separate ways, we had no more need for large B-vans. My sister got a Colt. Mom, my brother and I got Horizons. Dad got a new Voyager in '84, another in '95 and then a PT in '02.
    I bought the '66 Imperial Crown Coupe as a toy as I remembered the big Chryslers of the 1960's. It was fun, but thirsty and was taking my time from other neglected projects. The wife and I got a '98 Sebring JX Convertible as a fun-car replacement.
    We went from Horizons to Neons to Calibers. My first almost-new car was a '92 Shadow. Mom and dad no longer drive.
    I now have mom's '07 Caliber. It took some warming up to, but I have grown to appreciate the car. It does hold a lot of camping gear with the rear seat folded down (like a baby Durango) and does very nice on gas and traction in the snow.
    The wife had an '02 Caravan that she traded and now has a '11 Liberty.
    All together, I was in auto mechanics for 30 years until my body began protesting the harsh physical work. :D I had to find less strenuous work, but I try to keep up on the latest changes and trends. I still keep in touch with the technicians and managers I worked with. If you are away from the car business for more than 6 months, you fall behind. Technology is changing that rapidly now.

Doug D, somber, valiant67 and 2 others like this.