AF: why both the Compass and the Cherokee? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why both the Compass and the Cherokee?

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by voiceofstl, Jul 3, 2018.

1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I found the following review on autotrade..
    Interior
    As we alluded to, the Cherokee may be larger on the outside, but the Compass actually has some advantages inside. Chief among those is cargo capacity, where the Compass possesses 59.8 cu ft. of maximum space, while the Cherokee has 54.9 cu ft. With the seats up, it's 27.2 cu ft. in favor of the Compass versus the Cherokee's 24.6 cu ft. All those figures are actually on the small side for a compact SUV, but it's a difference you really notice in person, as the Compass' cargo area is noticeably wider and more usable. You can slide the Cherokee's back seat forward to gain cargo space, something not possible in the Compass, but doing so reduces rear legroom.

As for that legroom, the spec sheet says the Cherokee has two more inches, but we didn't find that in person. If anything, the Cherokee's chunkier seats might actually result in less room when taller drivers are up front. Rear shoulder and head room are also identical in both SUVs.
    Why is the cherokee have a smaller inteior but is the next level UP Jeep. Most folks get these Jeeps for daily use like a RAV4. Very few folks will take these jeeps on anything offroad except a gravel road.
    Why have 2 vehicals that almost identical to each other. Unless you realy need the power of the 3.2 V6 it loos like the Compass is the better deal!

2. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

Why the Patriot AND the Compass ? I never could figure that one out.

RonGD likes this.
  3. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

In addition to the 3.2, I believe there is some other tech available in the Cherokee that you can't get in the Compass. It also has more towing capability if that is needed.

4. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

Patriot for guys, Compass for girls. At least that's what was stated by an executive when they first came out. Compass was supposed to have a more rally car bent as well.

Rick Anderson and RonGD like this.
  5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Why? Because there is more money to be had selling Jeeps than Chryslers. So they keep adding variations under Jeep.

Rick Anderson, Citation84 and RonGD like this.
  6. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Having spent time driving both, I asked myself the same question. I'd take the Cherokee in either 4cyl or 6cyl.

7. RonGD

RonGD Member

Yep, that was the call in the initial roll-out; Compass for the women, Patriot for the men

8. voiceofstl

why? I find interior room very important but if the compass is noisier and rides rough then I understand.

9. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

The Cherokee feels like a far more substantial vehicle. A mild cross breeze blew the Renegade and Compass all around at hwy speeds. Cars seemed too soft and under powered.

gforce2002 likes this.
  10. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

What rapidtrans said. I’ve now owned both and there is no comparison to the level of refinement between the Compass and the Cherokee. The Compass feels kind of cheap and unfinished in comparison. It really betrays its economy car roots.

11. voiceofstl

That is a good reason...but the cherokee interior should still be bigger then the compass.

12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

My feeling is the Cherokee interior is wider which I greatly appreciate over 500x, Renegade, Compass, but the cargo area is more compromised due to the shape from the styling in a Cherokee than Compass.I made a mistake and took the Cherokee to Home Depot instead of the Durango last week. it was amusing (to everyone else but me) about how much work it was to place two larger items with a bunch of smaller stuff into the Cherokee even with the seat down.

13. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

Seriously ? OMG, I am truly stunned. Not joking.

Jeez: Patriot for males. Compass for females. Caliber for "questioning" ?

Who makes decisions like that ? I never would have connected the Compass and rallying either.

Thanks for explaining it, Link. That's some GM thinking right there: over analyzing market research.

Speechless. And I never shut up !!! :confused:

14. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Strange. I had a Trailhawk and now my mom owns that one and my whole family has been pleasantly surprised with how refined it is. Acceleration could be better and so could the road noise. Those are the only two complaints.

15. gforce2002

In isolation, perhaps, but I’ve owned both now and I don’t find them similar at all. Perhaps I just had a really good Cherokee and a really crappy Compass. Other than the numerous problems I’ve had with it, it’s the little things like the flimsy feeling latches on the console and glove box, the loud door locks, and the poorly thought out instrument lenses. It feels “looser” at 5K kms than my Cherokee did at 60K.

It’s probably also a perception vs.price thing, as an entry (and cheaper) model, these things might not stand out. But the sticker price on my particular example was $44K, and in my mind those kind of prices should demand some level of refinement.

16. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

I test drove both a Cherokee Trailhawk and a Compass Trailhawk and liked the Compass better because the fit and finish seemed better and the design was better inside and out. Cherokee has flimsy plastic all over the dash and creaks in the dash, Compass didn't and most of the interior panels up front don't flex like they did on the Cherokee.

17. gforce2002

My experience has been just the opposite - the Cherokee was tight as a bank vault at 60K kms, and the Compass interior has all the creaks and rattles. (After 3 visits to the dealer, the right side A-pillar molding is still rattling. I have a piece of paper wedged into the bottom to stop it.)

I suppose this speaks again to FCA’s random quality - you never know what you’re going to get.

18. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Compared to the Chevy Cruze I had a couple of years ago, the Compass is surprisingly nice. I think they did a good job removing most of the economy car feel. It doesn’t feel like that at all to me or any of my family.

If you want to see an economy car/CUV, go look at the Chevy Trax. They are very bad.

19. voiceofstl

My point is the Cherokee should be obvious bigger on the inside.

20. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

But yet you spent thousands of dollars on it?

Ryan likes this.