AF: why both the Compass and the Cherokee? | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why both the Compass and the Cherokee?

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by voiceofstl, Jul 3, 2018.

1. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the purchase, and I hope it works out better for you than the Dart did.

2. Matthew

Matthew Is pushing for progress!

Because they attract buyers that would buy one but not the other. I bought a 2018 Cherokee because I wanted more choice in 4X4 systems, I liked the size and liked the styling better. I also liked how I could get it outfitted. I bought a limited, 3.2 (wanted a V6, and liked dual exhaust) Active Drive II, Tech Group, Luxury Group, Dual pain Sun Roof, and premium Stereo. I like the way it feels inside, the ride hight, and styling (also growing to like the 2019 but not as much as 14-18) and had no interest in the Compus. I feel the interior is very roomy and with the drive seat set for my 6' height I can sit behind it.

3. The Batman

The Batman Active Member

To be fair, I went from a 2008 Patriot to a 2014 Compass and the quality is night and day. My Patriot had a flapping hood that would shake anywhere above 25 MPH, both rear wheel wells rusted, the transmission whined, the engine mounts wore out and the engine shook so bad at idle that I had to shift it into neutral at red lights and the catalytic converter cracked from the stress. I was surprised when I got $1500 for it. The Compass is like driving a Cadillac compared to that machine. I know it's not necessarily Chrysler's fault since they had to worry about appeasing Daimler, but jeez.

DC-93 and RonGD like this.
  4. Backorder

Backorder Active Member

+1

Build one car, sell 3. Chrysler's really good at using one platform multiple times.

5. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

My 2016 Patriot is a delightful vehicle, but I think we should be sticking to the new Compass in comparing it to the Cherokee. The "new" Compass is a real nice vehicle, if it had a bit more power I'd chose it over the Cherokee in a heart beat. Hope the new Turbo 4 makes it into the Compass before I need to choose.

6. Matthew

I've seen the new Compass, it is nice but I still went with the Cherokee, I traded my 2018 and my mini roadster in on a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite. The new Compass is really nice but I just like the Cherokee better. I mean they have the ability and factory space to build multiple vehicles derived from the same platform (helps spread development cost) so why not build more then one, you can attract two different sets of buyer many of whom would buy one but not the other thus increasing your sales, and giving more options for people already in the brand to move around with in the brand, with out having to look outside of it. (I think it would be neat if jeep could get a trail rated 3 row midsize or compact, then they can keep in house those that grow to needing or wanting a 3 row, instead of hoping they go over to dodge and settle on something not as off road worthy in the Durango)

7. RonGD

RonGD Member

Haha. My '13 Patriot, someone stopped me at a stop light and said my hood was not latched cause of the flap. My '15 Patriot has the same flap but I haven't got told about it...yet ⛄

8. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

I remember a lot of comments about how awful the Jeep Commanders styling was, it was either love it or hate it. That is the only difference between the Patriot and Compass, the exterior styling. For those that hate that styling, you don't lose their business, there was an alternative to choose from.

The first M/Y of the Compass was more the cute as a lady bug styling, so I can see how the his and hers versions comments came about.
    I'm assuming this was recently, since the Compass is a whole new platform now that is aimed at being the cheaper, smaller alternative to the Grand Cherokee, and basically looks a lot like a smaller JGC. The Renegade took over for the older Patriot/Compass with its cute as a Cassida styling, so different or ugly, depending on your opinion, it's cool. (That's not a dig at the Renegade, I kinda like the look, just acknowledging it's certainly different and some will hate the styling).
    I think all the Manufacturers do this... ...now there are exploring modular platforms to mix and match different parts to make new....
    In the past GM made 4 versions of the same car for each brand, only differing in grill, fenders and the dash...
    Compass and Patriot was kinda like that, same assembly line, only difference was exterior sheet metal for different styling.
    The 2010 Grand Cherokee and Mercedes latest M class is the same platform, but still very different, so tracking things by the platform gets complicated.....

9. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

You had Best Buy them both before buying, The new Compass is nothing like the old platform. The 19 Compass with the new 2.4 and 9 speed is a great vehicle, solid, tight and surprisingly quick. WE leased a Red and Black Limited for my wife, she gets compliments every day on the looks. My only complaint is to much electronics but that’s just me I guess, I don’t drive the car enough to get used tp the electronic BS. My 16 Patriot you just get in, turn the key and go.

DC-93 likes this.
  10. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Rather than being a talking head, I own an '18 Compass and it's a great vehicle.
    Getting over 25 MPG in cold, crappy weather, travels over anything (like 15" of snow up an incline) without a problem, handles great, nice smooth ride, very quiet, peppy, love the heated seats and steering wheel - especially when we had 15 below zero weather.

Looking forward to having the sunroof open when it finally warms up!

11. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

I wondered the same thing and prefered the Patriot myself but which one lives on, the girls version!!

Thanks
    Randy

12. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

I never could figure it out either. Dodge got the Caliber, Jeep got the Jeep-looking Patriot and the Compass. I would have like to see Chrysler get a vehicle on the platform instead of Jeep getting two vehicles. But, that is probably why I'm not in the auto industry.

13. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Chrysler didn't get a vehicle on the SUSW platform because a decision was made to replace the PT Cruiser with the Fiat 500L. In hindsight, it was a poor decision. Chrysler didn't get a platform mate to the original Caliber, Compass, and Patriot trio because the Daimler overlords at first wanted to badge engineer a VW Golf to replace the PT and instead kicked Chrysler to the curb.

14. Matthew

There is also the fact that you cant fit the 3.2 in the compas so its limited to a max tow capacity of 2k lbs in 4x4 guise, where as with the 3.2 and tow package the Cherokee can tow 4.5k lbs or 4k with the 2.0 turbo, the Cherokee also has a higher payload too, and different 4x4 systems. So while interior valume wise they may be similar the Cherokee compeats with different competitors too.