Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why exactly do cars have speed limiters?

Discussion in 'Non-Mopar Tech Support' started by adrienne224, Oct 18, 2017.

1. adrienne224

adrienne224 Member

Is it possible to take it off? And if u do can it mess up your car?

2. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Because the manufacturer for some reason doesent whant the vehicle to go any faster...usually a good reason.
    - yes
    - yes

3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

One common reason is that tires are only rated safe for certain sustained speeds. So the car may be limited by tires.

4. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Limiting their liabilities maybe?
    Tires have speed ratings. Even our best freeways are not designed for such high speeds.
    I would imagine your warrenty and car insurance may be voided if the limiter were found to be altered.

AHBGuru likes this.
  5. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

WIth trucks, at least older ones, some speed limiters are separate units that can be removed. With modern cars, it's built into the programming and cannot be removed. It's never wise to do so, anyway.

6. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

The internet is your friend, just look it up.

7. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Its not just the tires, its often the whole suspension set up.
    - fex a pick up truck..if you build it to be roadworthy at 100 mph or more you would have made such a large trade off from what its supposed to do that it wouldnt be a good pick up anymore.
    - a wrangler would be Another example, you whant offroad capabilities and a big Engine that gives it a topspeed way beyond the chassis limits due to offroad demands, instead of letting people drive them at unsafe speeds and get killed because of the chassi- speed limit it.
    Speedlimiters arent evil things that are there to make your ride boring, they are there to keep the greasy side down and you alive.

8. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

We have speed limiters because of moron drivers!!

AvengerGuy and wolfsblood07 like this.
  9. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

Another thing to consider is that the top speed is high enough that you might forget the speed limiter is there. If the limiter in my Avenger kicks in at let's say 105 mph, that's fine with me. There's not a highway in America where I'd want to go faster than that. A kid might want to push it to 120, but kids do a lot of crazy things!

AvengerGuy likes this.
  10. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

99+% of roads and drivers cannot handle 90+ mph. Unless you are on a closed course, you are putting yourself and others at risk. Most every race car driver I know, saves their speed for the track and not anywhere else.

\rant off

11. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

A friend was driving across Montana where they still have or had a no daytime speed limit. He was driving a 1993 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel with a camper box on the back doing 90 mph and the truck wanted to keep going. He noticed the steering felt lighter so he backed off.

There other safety reasons then just tires.

12. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

My 1966 Shelby GT350 would get up on tippy toes as a friend put it at roughly 137 mph, now I know why the R models had chin spoliers, to keep the front end down at high speeds. Car was not at the redline in 4th and was still accelerating. Same friend had a 1969 Mach 1 with the 428CJ engine, that nose heavy beast would also get light in the front with the chin spoiler off.

AvengerGuy, ka9yhd and wolfsblood07 like this.
  13. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Simple. Corporate lawyers knowing how to limit risk. Since common sense is uncommon, and ambulance chasing I'd profitable.

rapidtrans and AvengerGuy like this.
  14. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

Yup a lot of air getting under your beast and starting to lift it.......

Ever see all of the spoilers that pop up when NASCAR cars gets going sideways or backwards? It is an attempt to keep them from flying up and flipping.

15. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Yes, it is possible to remove the speed limiter from your car. Yes, it is extremely possible to mess your car up AFTER it is removed.

That actual ACT of removing it won’t do anything to the car, as long as it is done properly.

They are there to keep the families of dead stupid people who removed top speed limiters from cars from suing the car manufacturer.

Have you ever seen those episodds of American Idol? The ones where these idiots who can’t sing, or carry a tune in a bucket, get up there and sing in front of the judges and make fools of themselves?

And these people don’t understand why they are booed, and told to leave the room post haste! They don’t understand that they truly can’t sing, because they have never recordered and heard themselves sing. They think they are great singers.

Driving is like that.

Everyone thinks they are just as good a driver as AJ Foyt, Dan Gurney, Lewis Hamilton or Dale Earnhardt Jr.

They are not.

You are not that good a driver. You will wreck, or damage the car. I know you have never experienced a high speed tire blow out, simply because you asked this question. (I have. I also saw god that day.)

I am not TRYING to sound like a jerk, but I am risking it, because running up past the (formerly) limited top speed is an incredibly stupid thing to do. (Google Darwin’s Awards).

Gerry G, wolfsblood07 and ka9yhd like this.
  16. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

I agree with Muther. Some people think they are invincible..........They are not.

I have seen some nasty high speed accidents. Two cars were racing on the street at a high rate of speed. When one of the cars drifted over and tapped the other car. The other car bounced off the guard rail, started skidding and flipped. The car road the guard rail upside down basically cutting the car in half. People died.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  17. Meester Beeg

Meester Beeg Active Member

Most of it is most likely liability.
    Back in the 80s the Buick Grand National was limited to 124 IIRC because above that the front got light.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  18. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

With my 11 Mustang V6, the limiter is set somewhere in the 110’s (I’ve seen anywhere from 112 to 118...I don’t really care). But I’ve read that the driveshaft has failed at speeds above the limit. I have no idea if it’s true, and I have no intention of finding out.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  19. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

I absolutely believe it is tire related. That’s why they are limited in the area of 110-135.(most anyway) if it was liability, it would be 1 mph over the fastest speed limit in the country.

Dave Z likes this.
  20. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

And with GPS like my nav system nowadays it knows the speed limit of any road you drive. They could limit speed accordingly. I absolutely see that coming with self driver cars.