Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Ford would be comfortable killing the Fusion

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by Deckard_Cain, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

In Autonews
    After the Chrysler 200, will another american midsize sedan bite the dust?

T_690 likes this.
  2. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

I hope not... :(

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  3. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

I couldn't disagree more with the premise that the Fusion isn't needed. If I were to walk into a Ford dealership this weekend the only 2 vehicles I would care to test drive are the Fusion and Taurus. I don't need a truck, van, CUV or SUV.
    By the way, if they completely do away with sedans (which would be insane), will the crossovers still be as cool without sedans to compare them to?

somber and NWbyNW like this.
  4. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Ford in last months cut pricelist of Ford Mondeo, that is the european version of Fusion, in UK.
    UK accounted about 1/4 of the 70,900 registrations in European Union + EFTA countires in 2016.

The prices cut was from UK pound 2000 to 3000, that is about 10%, trim levels reduced from 7 to 5, and made standard or added some option to trim level to make it more attractive to customers.
    Who are the customers? 85% are fleet sales.

Ford UK fleet director Owen Gregory:
    "...
    “The fleet market is making similar moves to the private market, with a shift to SUVs,” said Gregory. “But fleet operators are increasingly looking to cut operating costs in the current economic environment, so there’s a downsizing shift beginning.

“The thing that I’m encouraged by is when we take a look at the fleet market year on year, we’re growing our share in that space. Whilst it’s under pressure as a segment, our performance is holding up well.”
    ..."
    Ford Mondeo gets heavy price cuts in bid to fend off SUV threat | Autocar (at https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/ford-mondeo-gets-heavy-price-cuts-bid-fend-suv-threat )

note: less vehicles will be forecasted for eventual next generation Fusion, more amortization will have to be accounted per unit sold. Well if the car will have same construction and equipment as actual and Ford doesn't find a way to cut costs heavily.

5. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

LOL...seems Sergio guessed right about the CUV trend.

I've read that the Fiesta might be going away as well and if the Taurus isn't imported from China it will probably bite the dust in the US also.
    So it wouldn't surprise me if Ford completed it's sedan purge by axing the Fusion.

ehaase likes this.
  6. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Will there be enough crow for this forum if Sergio turns out to be right? :D

GasAxe, ehaase, Deckard_Cain and 2 others like this.
  7. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

I guess Pete DeLorenzo won't like this idea of Sergio having the last laugh. :rolleyes:

ehaase and ScramFan like this.
  8. adaptabl

adaptabl Active Member

Japan and Korea have won. It's not that there is no need for the sedan, just not an American one.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  9. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Loaded Kia costs peanuts and looks more American than most. Neighbors Kia has more gadgets than friends 2017 R/T.

10. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Active Member

Yes, a co-worker friend who has previously owned a Charger, a Challenger and two Rams is now driving a 2017 Hyundai Elantra. It's fairly well equipped with nearly everything you could want in a car. He got it at the end of the month, a few months back, for $15K.

11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I was impressed by the Elantra. You get a lot for the money. Stereo programming sucks but 200 hp from a 1.6 turbo with no lag is pretty amazing.

12. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

I don't think many here argued that he (SM) didn't make the right choice, more that the implementation was poorly done. Everyone recognizes that CUV's are extremely popular right now, it's just that people (ME) want a choice of more than one body style.