Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is there clean oil dripping from under my glove compartment onto t

Discussion in 'GFAQ: G-Body Frequently Asked Questions' started by Scstables, May 1, 2012.

1. Scstables

Scstables Member

I don't know what is going on, but someone mentioned a leaky evaporator (whatever that is). What is an evaporator and where is it located? Is this a serious issue? I thought at first it was power steering fluid because it looked and smelled the same. How can I fix this?

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

The evaporator is the radiator-like device inside the car that provides the cooling for the air conditioning. There is an oil in it.

It's also possible that if you ran your A/C or defroster recently, you're just seeing dirty condensation dripping from the catch pan. Underhood on the passenger firewall there is a rubber drain tube that turns down 90 degrees, about the size of a thumb. Squeeze and see if water comes out. These often get plugged, and water backs up inside the car.

3. Scstables

Scstables Member

I saw that thing, I will squeeze it tomorrow and see what happens.

BTW, I have not run my a/c since it ran out of freon 6 years ago. It will not come on any ways because once they are low they shut down. As to the defroster, last time I ran that was many weeks ago. The weird thing is what is on the carpet is oily.

4. Scstables

Scstables Member

An update - this has been repaired so no more FLOODS in my car! :)

5. russ93spirit

russ93spirit Active Member

Thanks for the update, but what did you have repaired? What were the findings?

6. Scstables

Scstables Member

The drainage tube was clogged.

The shop was nice enough to do that for free, as they could not find anything wrong with my headlights (once in a blue moon headlights refuse to pop up). They told me they can't fix the lights until they stop popping up completely.