AF: Why the Updated Fiat 500X 1.3L Still Falls Short | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why the Updated Fiat 500X 1.3L Still Falls Short

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by DrMark, Nov 29, 2019.

1. DrMark

DrMark Well-Known Member

Why the Updated Fiat 500X 1.3L Still Falls Short

Stefan Ogbac - Words; Brandon Lim - Photos; Nov 28, 2019

A vehicle's design is the first thing that speaks to you and eventually piques your curiosity (or doesn't). In the case of the refreshed 2019 Fiat 500X, its bubbly, chic looks set it apart from everything else in the subcompact SUV segment. And now, with the addition of standard all-wheel drive and a new 1.3-liter turbo-four replacing the old 1.4- and 2.4-liter units, the 500X wants to prove it's more than just a cute ute.

See entire review at:
    Tested: Why the Updated 2019 Fiat 500X 1.3L Still Falls Short - Motor Trend (at https://www.motortrend.com/cars/fiat/500x/2019/2019-fiat-500x-first-test-review )

Rob Johnson JR likes this.
  2. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Poorly packaged, switches and plastics feel cheap and the engine and transmission are unrefined. That may be part of the reason the 500x isn't flying off dealer lots.

Donte Lindsey and Rob Johnson JR like this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

So it's poorly tuned and the suspension is carryover — no surprise but it's sad. FCA transmission tuning has lagged each new powertrain by months or years, it seems. Heck, even our eight-speed 300C (which I think is two years after the eight-speed was launched in that car) does the occasional “bang-shift” and always has.

That crap about the interior is just that. Interiors are subjective. You expect it to feel cheap, it'll feel cheap.

The poor packaging, that's true 'nuff, but not unique.

Donte Lindsey and Mr. Fusion like this.
  4. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

I have to chuckle at Motor Trend placing any Fiat in a 'SUV' classification. CUV perhaps and I would even call that a stretch.
    I'm not up on how the industry labels classes but that one is funny even if in the industries eyes it is accurate.

5. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

There is no universal definition of SUV. Globally, CUV is a subset of SUV. They're more car-like, and always unibody, AND there's really no common definition except they typically have an elevated ride height over sedans, a hatch instead of a trunk, and usually include AWD versions. Traditional SUVs in the U.S. were BoF, but that's so far removed from reality these days, since most of even the most truck-like SUVs are unibody anymore. 500X is definitely a CUV. It's a fraternal twin to the Jeep Renegade.

#5 Tony K, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    Adventurer55 and ScramFan like this.
  6. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

... And they give what is basically a shout-out to some notable competition : Honda HR-V , Mazda CX-3, Hyundai Kona, and Mini Countryman .

Each being implied as a Better Than .

I had to re-read the article to confirm with myself that I didn't actually read anything that was specifically positive in their assessment.

That was an odd sensation.

7. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Motor Trend was dropped from my list some time ago, the “journalists” on staff are basically hacks.

8. Adventurer55

And yet from this same magazine they made Ram truck of the year for 2019 and 2020.

9. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

There wasn’t much choice, it’s when there is a close race M/T goes with Honda most of the time. All the Mags have their favorite brands, at least it’s not BMW or Porsche like the other guys.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Again, I'm thinking they pushed it out too fast, hard as it might seem to believe that.

11. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

This reminds me...How does recent history show PSA's record when it comes to things like the time lag between the announcement / concept of a model and actual launch? And when launched, things going smoothly?

Donte Lindsey likes this.
  12. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Recent history is that PSA Group is racing to catch up with the latest EU emissions regulations. They had a one two punch of diesel-gate, thanks to VW, and then GM stabbing them in the back for EV tech when they purchased Opel. Every project has now moved up in a big rush.

13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

So like FCA at any time...

All European players have been racing to catch up to the new rules, including FCA, FWIW.

14. plymouth1

plymouth1 Well-Known Member

At $26k there are far better choices than a 500X. This thing would have to be $20k or less to sell well and that is what the leftover 2018's were going for

LeeRyder and gforce2002 like this.
  15. Adventurer55

As soon as you drive it off the lot one would be upside down on a car loan I would imagine.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  16. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Active Member

Looking at the interior photos reminded me how refreshing and different this car is, and then I read the review and they compare the interior unfavorably to the noisy and plasticky Honda HR-V?! Makes it a little hard to take seriously.

Another thing that's hard to take seriously is the sticker price on the 500X. Fortunately, you wouldn't be paying anything close to sticker on one of these, but it makes one wonder about the thought process at FCA. Am I crazy, or are these way more expensive than their sibling Jeep Renegade, which at least has name recognition going for it?

Setting aside the FCA twins, my pick in this segment would be the Kona for sure (at least on paper). I need a car that can get out of its own way, which rules out the HR-V, CX3, Kicks, C-HR, etc.

KrisW likes this.
  17. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

@Mr. Fusion When I read that, I was wondering if maybe Honda sold a different HR-V in the US market than they do in Europe. Good to see that they don't, and it's just untrained journalists bringing their baggage to a review as usual.

The 500X interior is one of the best in the category. Countryman's is better, Audi Q2 also, but you're paying a lot more for those - especially when you order them in All-wheel-drive form.

Actually, AWD is the big issue with 500X's price. $26,000 is actually pretty good value for an AWD car of this size, but when you just want "a" car of this size, it looks very expensive.

18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Yeas, it has to automotive journalist bias and baggage. It can't have anything to do with the fact (in the US) Honda sells between 4 to 10 times as many HRVs per year than Fiat sells 500Xs. Those journalists must sure have some devoted followers.

19. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Goes for most vehicle purchases these days unless one pays cash or puts a significant down payment. Last I read the average depreciation is 28% once you sign the papers before you drive it off the lot. Hence the reason many purchase GAP insurance.

Tony K likes this.
  20. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Hopefully no one drives off the lot anywhere near MSRP.

Tony K and Doug D like this.