Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why was the PT Cruiser discontinued?

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by GottaPT, Jul 26, 2013.

1. GottaPT

GottaPT Member

I have heard two rumors about it.

1. The car wouldn't break down as much as they wanted and it was discontinued.

2. The engine was a nightmare to service.

I would buy #2 over the other one. I was just wondering if anyone knew for sure.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The PT was based on the PL (Neon) and it outlived the Neon by a few years. It was an antiquated structure and old technology by then. Not saying that was bad, because they still are a very fine car. They are safe, quiet, stylish, comfortable, dependable, fairly economical and have a large, useful interior with big doors.
    Believe it or not, it is a very serviceable engine/transaxle and there are cars that are much more of a nightmare to work on. Maybe not from the top, but everything you need to get at can be done from the sides (with the wheels removed) and underneath if need be.

oldwrench likes this.
  3. dana44

Ad-Free Member

The excuse of an old platform was the reason, decontenting the cars was the other thing.

You also have to follow the history of the car itself. Jurgen Schremmp was told the PT Cruiser was going to be a halo vehicle to bring people into the showrooms. Basically it was seen as a vehicle to sell about 60,000 cars per year. As soon as she was shown, they had almost 60,000 pre-sales, so it was a winner right off the bat. Having a winning car was not really something that interested DBAG as a whole, they wanted the technology Chrysler had, not grow a car company. The PT Cruiser was one of the least expensive cars designed because it basically tweaked the Neon platform, so most of the calculations were done, and there were just enough changes that the two don't interchange other than rims (almost). As the years went by, DBAG (Daimler Benz Auto Group, just in case), they had the habit of loading a car up with options and capabilities, and as time went by, deleting them. It finally got to the point they couldn't sell them because they just didn't have the stuff the others had.

I have to admit, they are a love it or hate it style, they do seem to be durable, and not too far into the future I will add a few customs that should have been done over the life of her, such as a coupe, pickkup, RWD V6, things like that.

4. 66coronet

66coronet Well-Known Member

5. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Was this a follow-on production quote, or initial making the PT Cruiser quote. It sounds like it was from after the PT Cruiser was built, meaning, as was actually talked about here, the PT Cruiser was supposed to be a low volume halo vehicle that was a hit, and Schremmp was not interested in Chrysler being more successful than Mercedes Bends under any circumstances. This would also be backed up when Wolfgang Bernhard made the ME4-12 and Tomahawk, 300 and Charger successes, then opened his mouth and yelled about dumping Mitsubishi when they had their problem and Chrysler shares were liquidated, Wolfgang fired.

6. Ridingcrops

Ridingcrops New Member

Chrysler really screwed up when they stopped the PT. I have had mine for years with the High output turbo and I love my PT. Just wish I had some of the new tech stuff they have now.

7. browens1534

browens1534 Active Member

The cost to reengineer the vehicle for crash standards and higher fuel economy and mandentory ESC was likely too high.

8. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Maybe, but those increased standards affect every single vehicle. I think it was more the fact it wasn't supposed to be as successful as she was and no follow-on changes were planned, other than continuing to decontent them, a slight interior refresh, and a grille refresh.

9. ropescan

ropescan Member

My PT Cruiser a 2003 is a Good car. Engine not bad to work on. The only drawback is figuring what size bolts were used on componets (metric or standard)

10. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

I'm really learning to appreciate mine and might look toward inexpensive ways to jazz it up a bit.

11. rockdoc

rockdoc Member

Sorry so late.........I have two 2003's. The Silver Limited has been a work truck, soccer Dad ride, dog carrier, tool carrier, dirt mover, long distance voyager for 120k. Very simple car, easy to drive, park and look at. I love::: the driving position, tight suspension, ride, rear seats, utility, serviceability. Hate the low power and so-so Auto tranny. Just got a 2003 Inferno Red w/Viper stripes PTGT Stage 1 w/SRT4 mods, lowering springs, clipped

12. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

As you can see by my avatar, I have a PT. What you can't see is that it's an 03 GT! I absolutely love driving this car. Do I wish it were more economical? YES. But both my wife and daughter are disabled and as far as being easy for both of them to enter and exit, it's great. They'd rather ride in it than my 2013 200 because of the height of the seats. The most difficult thing to do on these is a timing belt/water pump change. That and the center motor mount. That's in my opinion. BUT, I'm not a mechanic, I just do all of my own mechanic work.

13. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I still have two 2002 PTs, each of the two daughters drive them. I will say, wish they could have gotten a 3.3/3.8 under the hood, would have made for just as fun a ride as the Turbo model. Little sister had a black, convertible turbo and she loved it. Had to sell it back in '09, says she wished she still had it.

14. duster92

duster92 Well-Known Member

I own a PT GT 5 speed Stage 1. I love the car. I think one of the obstacles was the retro styling. It was difficult to evolve the design and it had nobody championing the car. Any attempts to change or modernize the look would have gone against what really made it popular. I think they could design a new PT off the Renegade platform. It would help the Chrysler brand. However, I think Fiat is in the way.

pt006 likes this.
  15. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Duster; the PT could have been restyled to a modern/retro look like they did to the latest Beetle. I want to see a new PT based on the Cherokee to give a little more room inside. It is necessary to keep the practicality of the original design. Like removable seats, easy access in and out, good vision, etc. They could have upgraded the engine to the V V T and the 6 speed auto in 2006, but chose not to.

duster92 likes this.
  16. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Oh, I'm sure there could have been a new PT design, it just wasn't in the plans. Remember, DBAG thought it was going to be a so-so seller, turned out they were wrong. Since they sold so well, they decided to simply take the money and run, let it whither on the vine and be done with it. Their loss, our gain, then our loss.

17. duster92

duster92 Well-Known Member

I was just thinking today that the Cherokee is a good example of what they should have done with the PT. Give it a hint of retro. Give it AWD but not all off road hardware the Cherokee has and I think you would have a nice little CUV for Chrysler. Lower it, and give it a hybrid option. Again though, I think they look to Fiat to fill that role but nobody seems to want a Fiat.

18. Brenda

Brenda Member

I was thinking DBAG as in DBAG!!! LOL!

Citation84 likes this.
  19. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The only vehicle in the FCA arsenal that looks anything like a PT is the Lancia Ypsilon. Sadly, I don't think it would ever make it to the U.S.
    Link:
    Lancia Ypsilon - Wikipedia
    The flared fender styling is nice if it's rounded, but I didn't care for when it got angular or squared-off like the later Caliber or Dakota. The press called it a 'muscular' look.
    Retro-styled cars are nice and we should always have one in the line-up. The Challenger is well executed, but has nowhere near the value and utility like the PT had.
    Maybe we'll see some future concept cars that bring back the fun of an old-car style in a responsible, family-car way again.
    The PT was virtually the last Plymouth.

duster92 likes this.
  20. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

The PT was and still is an odd combo.
    - its practical lika any of todays "mini Voyagers". Great small family hauler...
    - it had carsima, much of it. There isnt many cars that have fanclubs...
    - it is roadworthy and fun to drive...
    - The Gt have respectabel performance...
    Ie it was a package that was practical, fun and good on the road with styling that really set it on the map...what more can you ask for?