AF: Wide body B van ambulance | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wide body B van ambulance

Discussion in 'Vans' started by CherokeeVision, Sep 13, 2013.

1. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

3. TWX

TWX DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
    Level 2 Supporter

I've looked at the "Star Wide" or later "WideOne" conversions, and I don't think that I like the Superior conversion as much. WideOne changed the rear axle and widened the front subframe on their conversions, making them a lot more stable. I drive a B-van at work every day and I don't think that I'd enjoy driving a Superior very much if it's now wider, but without any better track.

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

As a former EMT who has driven everything from a moped to a postal jeep to a Type III ambulance, that's an awful hack job. See the rig behind it? That's the way to go.

5. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

The one pictured, is indeed a hack job, but several companies made them very professionally with stock appearing grills and rear doors. They also had wider axles (since they were IFS, Im not sure why the front track is so narrow on this one?)
    We actually considered building these as campers for a while. They were about 6'8" wide and could sleep adults crossways.
    The Box, or "Cary" Vans were useful, but not as aero efficient and the competition from C Motorhomes made them less competitive for camper conversions out here.
    We would have converted them to 4WD.

6. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Dodge was the favorite of the ambulance van up-fitter market until the steering boxes started tearing out of the frame. It was unfortunate.
    Ford became the darling of van up-fitters after that. Almost all are diesel now.
    I worked at public safety truck up-fitter doing ambulance and fire truck maintenance, wiring harness and air suspension installation. It was heavy, but rewarding work.

7. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

My converted 4x4 B200 van had that issue,...once. A "Y" shaped 5/16" plate ensured that it never happened again. ;)

8. TWX

TWX DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
    Level 2 Supporter

It also didn't help that the Iacocca-era bankruptcy had terms that included leaving medium and heavy duty markets, which also hurt the upfit market in general, along with concern for the very existence of the platform to be upfit itself.