AF: Will the Titan/Cummins steal Eco Diesel sales? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the Titan/Cummins steal Eco Diesel sales?

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, new Wagoneer, commercial trucks' started by Farrier, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Farrier

Farrier New Member

So many of us were disappointed that Ram/Fiat didn't design the Ram 1500 powered by Cummins. It made sense to use the popular motor, being the that Dodge-Ram has a long standing and successful history with Cummins.

That history alone has created a following of people that are dedicated to Cummins and will likely
    drive whatever brand vehicle available on the market as long as there is a Cummins motor in the engine bay.

With that said, will the Nissan Titan murder Ram in sales once it hits the market sporting the proven Cummins motor? From the reports I'm reading on other forums, it will. Far too many people are publicly saying 'I follow Cummins", "Not the vehicle brand".

I'm crossing my fingers that Ram doesn't lose the customer base it currently holds in the 1/2-ton class but I find myself with pessimistic thoughts once Nissan announced the Cummins contract.

2. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

They are two different classes of truck. The Titan XD - which is where you can get the Cummins LD diesel - is a bit more of a truck than the 1500-class EcoDiesel.

That said, will there be those that will consider a Titan just because it offers the Cummins? Sure.

Will "real" truck drivers and buyers know the difference between the Cummins in the Titan XD and the Cummins in a Ram 2500? Yes, they will.

I'm not overly concerned.

PCRMike likes this.
  3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Let it be noted Dodge was working with Cummins pre-bankruptcy on a V8 diesel for the 1500. It died in bankruptcy.

Cummins or not, I would not buy a Titan. Yes, I'm a Mopar die-hard, but the Ram is just a better truck all around whether it has the diesel or not.

djsamuel and floridaman2013 like this.
  4. Farrier

Farrier New Member

I'm well aware of the previous plans with the Ram 1500 and Cummins as I've been driving a Cummins powered pickup since the early 90's.

In my line of work, a 1/2 ton won't cut the mustard but my wife recently expressed interest about a pickup for her that would replace her SUV. We both keep our vehicles for a long time and run them into the dirt before replacing. I naturally gravitated towards the Ram Eco diesel with the thought of longevity in mind.

At this point, the Ram Eco diesel has the advantage. It's been on the market for a while and so far has proven itself. The Nissaan-Cummins-Aisin combo has not and might take some time before it can prove itself to be worthy.

However, for someone like me that literally has a mini fleet of pickups and equipment powered by Cummins motors, it's really difficult not to eyeball the Nissan.

5. tazdevil

tazdevil Member

Something we're missing here. Fred Diaz left Dodge trucks at about the beginning of gestation time for the Nissan Cummins. Got to keep the key people or pay the price. That combo should do well, at our expense.

6. Farrier

Farrier New Member

^^^ exactly^^^

It will take some deep searching to replace that fella.

7. Stratuscaster

The Cummins LD/Ram deal died long before Diaz left.

I can't recall if it was exclusive to Ram, or if - like now - anyone with a pulse can buy them.

8. JTE

JTE Well-Known Member

The program stopped on 1/23/09.

The engine was exclusive to Chrysler for use in pick ups, anyone with a pulse who manufactured box trucks or boats, etc could buy it. It is a very impressive product.

Let me take this opportunity to say hi to my friends in Columbus, I wish you luck in your box truck & boat motor sales.

9. Stratuscaster

Thanks for the clarification. Does Nissan have that pickup truck exclusive now?

10. raymondo112

raymondo112 Member

Another thing to note is that v8 gas powered Titan couldn't beat out the other big 3 domestic lines nor Toyota.

The real question will be how the frame, chassis and brakes and suspension, and drivetrain hold up with some tuning to up the anty on the Cummins and some serious power pulling, we've already seen how the Dodge holds it together.

I frankly don't dig the independent cv shafts on the newer Ram's it's more like 4x4 on road rather than off road, I don't mind rocking a nice 2nd or 3rd Gen Ram though.

Time will tell but the Nissan has some big shoes to fill before it can start hurting the big 3 in truck sales, plus pricing will make or break interested buyers as well as availability so let's hope Dodge doesn't drop the ball on the Eco diesel, and that the automatic transmission behind the Dodge will do a better job in getting that power and torque to work as well as driving the best possible fuel economy.

The next thing is just make sure the build quality is as good as can be, Dodge isn't getting much love in the 3/4 diesel market with the critics as they not only state the GMC Sierra is much quicker in acceleration but is better balanced when the bed is fully weighed down with a heavy load, but they say the Ford is too, so Dodge better step it up next year or else it may be a tough battle to get buyers for the Ram.

If Toyota gets a diesel, then it's game on, I just hope for the Ram brand sake Dodge will be on its A Game. I like the truck in general but it needs to be equal or better than it's competition no excuses.

11. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

I remember pre bankruptcy reading that Nissan wanted Dodge to help them build trucks and Nissan was going to build a car in return... or something like that. Have Nissan come far enough to even loose there poor truck rap... even with a cummins? There is about 2 Nissan trucks that I know of here in my town, not very many considering the amount of trucks here. Are they popular anywhere else?

12. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

The Titan never really took off in most areas as it suffers from very poor fuel mileage and higher cost. The Nissan Frontier, on the other hand, is a tough mid size that works hard, and sells great, I own a 2010. They are being re-dsigned for 2016 and talk of a diesel is spreading. You can get a diesel engine overseas already in Nissan and Toyotas so why not here? If Nissan prices the Titan too high with thier stupid options list or the the truck styling is funky, it won't sell very many, but, the Frontier might be the savior again! The Tundra isn't really selling either, fell flat on it's face soon after opening that big plant in Texas. So far, the Japanese still can't compete with the big 3 in the full size truck market on equal ground, dollar for dollar, IMHO. Mid size and compact, they own it!

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  13. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

The only dealerships we have here are the big three, so we don't see very many toy-sons ... some hondas. So I tried counting how many houses on my street that do not have trucks in there driveway.... 2 out of about a hundredish, It would be interesting how many trucks per capita there are. The big three do not have 2x4's on there lot, only 4x4's.. if you want a 2x4 you have to order it or drive 8hrs to a dealership that does. If one was to compare the small pick-ups to full size here in the north the 1500's and bigger is all you see but there are a few compacts/mids around. Anyone here that owns a toyota, nissan or honda has to get there warrenty work done by a garage in town that the small 3 have chose.
    Thanks for the insight floridaman2013

14. 66coronet

66coronet Well-Known Member

15. 66coronet

66coronet Well-Known Member

Nissan Frontier 2.8L Cummins might take a few sales from Ram 1500 3.0L diesel.

16. dak4x4

dak4x4 Member

No. I see an very occasional one here in the No. Georgia mountains, the truck irregardless of engine is not competitive; plus the homely styling don't help either..

17. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Depends on how they market it, it could be a hit or miss but the Cummins name carries a lot of weight and it has a great reputation.

18. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Bullhead City, Az is littered with Nissan Titans as well as Rams, Ford and GM are well represented here as well. Toyota seems to be weak around here.

19. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Not many Nissan trucks around here. Mostly Ford, Dodge (Ram), and Chevrolet trucks with a few Tundra's mixed in. If you see a Titan, take a pic as you probably won't spot one for a while.

In regards to the EcoDiesel, I've seen maybe 5 in the wild. Most Ram's with either the Dodge or Ram nameplate I've see have the Hemi.

20. WS23Mopar

WS23Mopar Active Member

Isn't the next ten Tundra going to have that same Cummins motor that the Titan is getting?