NewsDemon chillin’ the intercooler • This really is the 2018 Wrangler “JL” • Red vs black keys: Real-world Hellcat performance

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Window Sticker from my new 78 Challenger

Discussion in 'Outside North America' started by John Wood, Jan 27, 2012.

1. John Wood

John Wood Well-Known Member

Today I was cleaning up some old stuff that I had filed years ago and came across the original window sticker from a 1978 Dodge Challenger that we bought in 1977 brand new. This was the first Challenger import and caused a bit of animosity among the Challenger muscle car owners because of using the name on a tiny import. Our model was fairly basic but very sharp looking with the silver over charcoal 2 tone. Interesting that the little 1.6 engine was a hemi too (ha ha). We consistantly got 36 mpg on this car. It is also nice that the out-the-door price was under $6000.

[​IMG]

wtxiceman and LeeRyder like this.
  2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

It's simply amazing to see those old window stickers. Compared to the new ones, they are very simple.

Even then they had the "No Extra Charge" on the "Hemi" Engine......LOL!

3. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass... Staff Member Supporter

Look at the MPG ratings at the time - 29/40(33) - that's amazing! :lol:

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

Keeping in mind ... somewhat different measurement methods...

5. John Wood

Only 2750 pounds. That helped a bit and it was very aerodynamic.... plus we had no alcohol in the gas. :). This was one of the early engines using the jet valve technology. The 36 mpg that we recorded was probably 80 to 85% highway. The gas mileage was actually a little better than a 1965 Opel Kadett Sport that we owned which had a 1.0 liter (I think 40 HP). Also, notice the annual costs shown on the sticker are based on gas being .70 per gallon :D. We thought that was a horrible price to pay back then.

6. xjken

xjken New Member

I take it you sold the car years ago, if not how about some pics.

7. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES" Level 2 Supporter

And at the national speed limit of 55 mph, not 65.

8. John Wood

I sure wish I had some pictures. There are probably are some laying around in a shoe box somewhere. Most of the pictures from that era would have been taken with a Polaroid or the (later pulled for patent infringement) Kodak Handle One, the Polaroid clone. Of course that means no negatives.
    We put a ton of miles on that car in Indiana and took it to Florida in 1985 where it lasted about 6-7 more years. We traded it in on a used 87 LeBaron Coupe. My wife had the 86 min-van to haul the 3 kids around and the LeBaron was my daily driver.

The Challeger was still a running vehicle when I traded it but the paint was going and there were a few rust spots from having it up North. The AC had gone out (not good in FL) and the kicker that threw me over the edge was that the rear main seal started leaking badly. I just didn't feel like pulling the tranny in the middle of the Summer. lol

You will notice from the sticker that this car was serial #99. Had I kept in garaged, it might have been worth more than I paid for it, although I have never known these to be a big collectors items like the muscle car predecessors. They say that any car with a serial# under 100 is always a collector. We were just a young family looking for transportation and both my wife and I thought these looked really sharp when the brochures came out and with my good carreer, we could easily afford it. We pre-ordered right after the pre-production brochures came out in the Dodge showroom. At the time, I never thought about a low serial # and never paid much attention to it until years later. The last I saw that car, it was in somebody's driveway in St Petersburg, FL. I positively identified it from a cracked tail light lense that I epoxied back together. I was with a coworker on lunch break and he saw it before I did.

Bob.. yes, those were the days of 55 MPH speed limits and 40 MPG was easily attainable with no problem if you drove it on a flat road with no stops at 55 MPH. I'm sure that is how the EPA tests were conducted (probably on a dyno). Definitely different measurements back in that day.

EDIT in: Here is a copy of the brochure that is an exact copy of the vehicle we purchased.
    [​IMG]

LeeRyder likes this.
  9. Glenn A

Glenn A New Member

It's fun to look at those old window stickers and remember. I have every one from every vehicle I have ever bought new and there have been a few. They kind of chronicle my life in a way. I will pass them along to my Son someday.

10. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES" Level 2 Supporter

I loved that and the Sapporo, was convinced that I'd buy one someday. Ended up with a new 1985 Daytona.

11. Curtis Redgap

Curtis Redgap Chyrsler Historical Buff!! Level 2 Supporter

Nice cars. You had A great color combination. I had three Plymouth Arrows and a Sapporo. Wish I had kept the Fire Arrow and the Sapporo! Back before getting married, my buddy and I used to run overnight (1,225 miles one way to Florida) to visit with my brother in Orlando. Stay overnight on a Saturday, and run back home on a Sunday! Yeup, nuts I know. But the little Arrow loved to run. That model was the plain jane with the 1.6 engine. Next model was the GS with the 2.0 and 5 speed. But my heart was stolen by the light blue Fire Arrow with the 2.6. That little car was a monster in acceleration. Then......... marriage, and the wife needed a car, so we bought a Sapporo for her. Great appointments. Nice ride for long trips, and economical. Wish I had them yet! So, I know how you feel.