Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windshield wipers quit working fan comes on when turn wipers on

Discussion in 'Pre-1994 trucks, commercial vehicles' started by upser145, Apr 27, 2017.

1. upser145

upser145 Member

I was driving and my windshield wipers suddenly quit working and when i got home i checked the fuse and its good and wipers wont do anything but fan comes on when i turn wipers on

2. upser145

upser145 Member

not even sure its the fan it sounds like it but im not sure

3. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Where does the noise come from? It might be the wiper motor -- if so, a part of the hardware might be broken. If you look under the cowl, you might see the problem.

But if the noise is elsewhere, and nothing is broken, your switch or wiper motor might need replacing.

4. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Sounds like your bushings may have rotted off or it just popped off the motor stud.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I agree - without the linkage attached, the wiper motor sound is very different. It may be nothing more than the white plastic bushings, which are available in the help products. Inexpensive, but it can be a pain working on the linkage on some vehicles.

6. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

You did not indicate specific model Dodge truck nor model year.

Try this test. Make sure all accessories that generate noise / sound (radio, heater fan, seat belt chime, etc) are turned off. Turn ignition to RUN / ON position but do not start engine. Turn wiper switch to low speed and then high speed. Does the sound change? If YES then the wiper linkage under the cowl area has disconnected from the crank arm on the wiper motor gear reduction. You hear the wiper motor running without any load and it should be noticeable. As others have said there is a plastic bushing / grommet in the linkage arm connection to the wiper motor crank arm.

7. upser145

upser145 Member

well im stupid it was a bushing i had recentlty replaced that broke that i didnt even suspect since its new

8. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Out of curiosity what for vehicle did we help you with. Darn windshield wiper bushings are a p.i.a.

9. upser145

upser145 Member

88 w150 and yes they were

10. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

I had them go on my 78 Powerwagon and they just went on my 88 aries sw.

Cheap fix, but not always so easy.

11. Meester Beeg

Meester Beeg Active Member

Somewhat related I replaced a couple bushings and both wiper arms when I replaced the windshield on the 92 Dakota. Dont buy the Dorman replacements. The are soft and the splines strip. I went through two sets in a couple months. Finally I went to the scrapper and got some OEM units and made em purdy.