AF: Windsor Assembly - 1 Week Shutdown | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windsor Assembly - 1 Week Shutdown

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by superduckie5000, Jan 7, 2020.

1. superduckie5000

superduckie5000 THE MAD DUCK
    Level III Supporter

2. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Unbelievable that FCA will discontinue the best selling minivan, giving up the market leadership in the process. The Big Wigs can’t seem to get it through their heads that most people like the Caravan better then the Spaceship Pacifica. FAC could do minor improvements to the Caravan and keep it going for a long time, instead of trying to force the customer into a design that is over complicated, not reliable and not loved by the majority of minivan buyers.... Ditto for destroying the Journey without a replacement in sight.

joewho, DC-93 and willy4110 like this.
  3. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

Or, it doesn't meet safety regulations and any further engineering is cost prohibitive thus they literally cannot produce after this model year. They already did the a-pillar change a few years ago to keep it going. Winds of change and all that...

Tony K, UN4GTBL, Zagnut27 and 8 others like this.
  4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

As I understand it the current Grand Caravan cannot meet the new crash standards for next year (?) and it would cost far more than the expected return. Some here seem to overlook this known fact. The only reason the Caravan and Journey continue to sell well is price (and incentives). I've looked at both and the Pacifica is far nicer minivan. Do I think it's over priced? Perhaps, but you do get some pretty good features with the lower trim levels. As link3721 posted they've already made what changes that could be made to keep production going for the 2019 model year.

Please show me where the Pacifica is 'unreliable'.

As to the Journey, I am disappointed they seemed to be intent on destroying it with no direct replacement or at least making a Chrysler version of it. I owned two of them ('09 & '10) and they served us well.

Tony K, XRT2SRT, UN4GTBL and 10 others like this.
  5. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

A story that was told to all of us by "insiders" way back in 2016 about upcoming crash standards. I honestly don't see how they can discontinue it and keep the plant running. They have no product to replace it, and at over half your sales the other van even in el cheapo form can't carry the load. So we shall see what they do. Decisions decisions.

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

They redesigned to meet the crash standards. at least the ones we had then. I will say that now, without major electronics changes, the Dodge minivans won't be able to match the safety gizmos that come standard on any Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, etc., much less the ones you can get on a Mazda3. Notice I'm talking about compact cars starting at under $20,000 — and minivans that are much pricier. There's also gas mileage, which is a bigger problem for Chrysler, which probably doesn't wnat to keep subsidizing Tesla. The nine-speed presumably can't be retrofitted without problems or price hikes.

Why do people really by Dodge Caravans? That's my question. My guess is that 80% of people buy the discount/the bargain. Voyager can match that. Remember, Chrysler is Plymouth, not Imperial...

Tony K, XRT2SRT, Mr. Fusion and 7 others like this.
  7. Adventurer55

But neither are Caravans. Maybe they should have spent some money and instead of Voyager they should have done a new Grand Caravan. I know it doesn't fit in their image of Dodge, but come on.

Ian and UN4GTBL like this.
  8. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Well the cost of the Voyager was badging. A new DGC would have cost a whole grille, taillights, and a steering wheel.
    (I know its much more complex than that but bringing in the Voyager IS cheaper than making a new DGC.)

Tony K and Zagnut27 like this.
  9. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

People, get over it..... GC is gone, cant be produced anymore due to Safety standards. Voyager is a much better Replacement.. if one really wants a Bargin Minivan, they would go Used. Something else will eventually be produced there.

cygnus, Mr. Fusion, MoparJoe and 3 others like this.
  10. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

As the owner of a Grand Caravan, if I was looking for a budget minivan now, I would be looking at a used Pacifica. But, I'm not likely to be looking for another minivan. What I would like to see come out of Windsor is something along the lines of the original Pacifica based on the current Pacifica.

Tony K, XRT2SRT, UN4GTBL and 2 others like this.
  11. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Please show me where the Pacifica is 'unreliable'.

As to the Journey, I am disappointed they seemed to be intent on destroying it with no direct replacement or at least making a Chrysler version of it. I owned two of them ('09 & '10) and they served us well.[/QUOTE].....................
    The Pacifica bought for a long term test by a major car mag has spent half it’s life back at the dealer, I got my relative a discount on a Pacifica top of the line, in 3 months it’s been back to the dealer 3 times. I’m sorry I helped him buy it. To much electronic B.S. not fully tested before being put on the market. That’s unreliable in my book.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  12. Adventurer55

If we use that model that the Voyager is far superior, then why is it right to continue the DS which is similarly aged so it must need the same safety standard upgrades, but not the Grand Caravan? Personally, I don't care, but what about the people that work there? Why can't it be produced, until this always around the corner mythical vehicle, starts production? I'd understand if it's sales were in the tank, but they aren't.

13. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

per DS DT, Completely different vehicle with different standards...

Tony K, Doug D and tlc like this.
  14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I have asked before, and never gotten an answer. I asked because I can't find any information with a web search:
    What new collision standards regulations are taking affect that the Grand Caravan can't meet?

I know FCA is way behind on their voluntary commitment on Automatic Emergency Braking on all vehicles under GVW 8500 lbs or less by 9/1/2022. Is this one of the reasons for Grand Caravan being dropped? I assume Journey, Ram Classic, etc. also are problems.

#14 valiant67, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  15. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

I been looking. A used loaded limited with decent miles for less than $30k is pretty easy to find.
    https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/795472849/overview/

16. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Too bad you don't work for FCA in Product Planning. Brilliant statement. Something I would have said! :cool:

Adventurer55 likes this.
  17. Adventurer55

But it is exactly the same deal. One old, one new. They keep the old one because it's selling in decent numbers, even talk about an update. Now there's buzz about doing the same thing with Challenger. I'm not saying it's not time to be replaced, but build it until you have product to take it's place at the plant.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  18. Adventurer55

I would assume that this will get discontinued just about the time contract negotiations are set to start. People will be laid off, with "promises" of recall once, the as yet un named, product appears. With no guarantees of course if production will return to the same level as before. Or when this "new" product even shows up. It won't happen until Warren and Jefferson north are finished.

19. erhemi

erhemi Well-Known Member

This just in. Windsor is now off for 2 weeks January 13th and January 20th. Once the Grand Caravan goes away in a few months Windsor will have many, many layoff weeks.

Adventurer55 likes this.
  20. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

The Pacifica bought for a long term test by a major car mag has spent half it’s life back at the dealer, I got my relative a discount on a Pacifica top of the line, in 3 months it’s been back to the dealer 3 times. I’m sorry I helped him buy it. To much electronic B.S. not fully tested before being put on the market. That’s unreliable in my book.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Two vehicles out of how many built?

Tony K likes this.