AF: Windsor Assembly - 1 Week Shutdown | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windsor Assembly - 1 Week Shutdown

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by superduckie5000, Jan 7, 2020.

1. edvan

edvan Well-Known Member

You got me as to why people buy the GC. I had a GC and a T&C. Both very nice vehicles. However, my 2018 Pacifica Limited is the best vehicle I have ever owned(14 so far). I prefer it to my wife's 2020 loaded Subaru outback XT. In fact, despite claims by Subaru, I am getting 1 mpg better than her Subaru, we do the same type of driving. The only thing I love about her Subaru are the LED headlights. But all Pacificas are supposed to get LEDs in 2021.

brewdad, Chebby7, UN4GTBL and 4 others like this.
  2. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

It sucks that it's so hard to dig up the info on this, even from the NHTSA. What I've been able to find is there are likely to be changes to the US NCAP this year (they've been working through proposed changes for the last few years). Not sure when they would go into effect though. The forward collision stuff is also possible, though I can't find any upcoming federal requirements for it yet.

There's also the possibility that the GC and Journey aren't the cash cows they used to be due to needing big incentives to move. Maybe we'll be surprised with new product at the coming auto shows that will replace them.

Tony K and valiant67 like this.
  3. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Well my skepticism runs deep. From very disturbing decisions from the past like Dakota, 200 etc. I wonder if these are getting canned before Tavares takes over? Sergio looked into resurrecting the last Pacifica and the tooling was gone. I have no clue about Journey, but fleet sales alone would keep Caravan alive. Rental companies love them. As far as not making money, one would have to prove that one. Engine still made, transaxle still made, the two biggest things of cost going into it.

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Forward collision warning is standard on just about every small car now, I think. Oddly they don't integrate forward parking sensors or viewable cameras, though it strikes me as easy to do this. Honda Civic has a weird camera based blind spot system - no warning, you look in the center of the car and see the camera output; strikes me as a bad way to do it. Civic, 3, and Corolla all have forward collision sensors and none, as far as I can tell, even make forward parking sensors an option... I'd love a forward camera, there are some spaces that are small for parallel parking and I got used to using every last inch in my wife's car...

UN4GTBL likes this.
  5. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

No we don't. The Pacifica is a much superior vehicle. My employer brings in a bunch of Grand Caravans for the summer family vacation season and during the holidays. Soon afterwords they are quickly disposed of. The reason the Grand Caravan survives this long is that the Toyota minivan is an ill handling rattle trap. The GC doesn't feel that old when driven back to back with the Toyota, but it feels ancient when compared to the Pacifica.

We make big money off the minivans. Rental car companies like big money, and the Pacifica is the customer favorite for those who have driven one. We're always out of the Pacifica because it's the top pick. The Toyota is the next favorite because of Toyota's legendary quality. We don't make as much profit off those, because usually when the customer returns one we have to replace the cheap plastic bits that break. That process costs time and money.

If Hyundai decided to offer a fleet special Palisade for the rental companies, it would kill the Grand Caravan fleet sales.

Tony K, UN4GTBL, page2171 and 3 others like this.
  6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Obviously some rental companies do love the Grand Caravan.
    Every time I've got a rental from FCA when my vehicle was in for extended service/repair the last three years, it was a Grand Caravan. The only time I got anything else was back in 2016 when I got a Renegade.

The dealer I use now provides their own rentals which have been "new" unsold 2018 vehicles in their inventory.

7. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

So based on my sister's experience with rentals, she's rented twice in the last two months hoping to test the Pacifica on a long road trip only to end up with a DGC. She was told by the rental car company that they are so sought after by customers as soon as one comes in, it goes right back out. The DGC gets left on the lot unless there's no other minivans left. That was what the people at the counter told her. I'm inclined to believe that Pat is correct in what he's saying about the DGC. The Voyager LXi will be a more than adequate replacement for the rental companies based on what I'm hearing.

8. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

I have yet to see a Voyager, but we have had a small number of 2020 Pacifica enter into our fleet.

9. plymouth1

plymouth1 Well-Known Member

Making Dodge a Performance only brand makes NO sense. The complete mismanagement of the brand since taking away the trucks and now the next two best sellers is completely IDIOTIC. Everyone in FCA management must just NOT GET IT at all. It's a blue collar brand that ALSO has Performance DUH! Even Captain Obvious knows this. Why don't the people who should?

10. pug-man

pug-man Well-Known Member

Yes. To quote Scar : " I'm surrounded by idiots."

11. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

Because they want to sell fewer vehicles for larger profits. They don't want to manage the complexity of competing in high volume/low margin segments.

UN4GTBL, page2171 and Ernesto like this.
  12. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Well, competing in the high volume/low margin segments these days almost always requires a dedication to quality.

13. superduckie5000

superduckie5000 THE MAD DUCK
    Level III Supporter

14. plymouth1

plymouth1 Well-Known Member

15. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

16. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

ENTER Airflow Vision.

17. Quambi

Quambi Well-Known Member

18. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

It depends on WHY they were shut down. If it was lack of orders, it would be news. Trust me. If not, then it would NOT make news. JNAP didn't immediately start up after Christmas shutdown. We just started back up on January 6th. (and yes, I'm tired...)

cygnus likes this.
  19. erhemi

erhemi Well-Known Member

Brampton has been off since before Christmas and doesn't go back till January 20th.

joewho likes this.
  20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Brampton seems more serious especially since Windsor is still on three shifts. However, ALL minivans were down by around the same amount for 2019 as a whole.