AF: Winners, FCA restart, losing $1.8 billion, Chevy’s TRX and Ford’s hybrid truck | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winners, FCA restart, losing $1.8 billion, Chevy’s TRX and Ford’s hybrid truck

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, May 12, 2020.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

2. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

If you look "under the skin" even NAFTA has lost money. Pension liabilities are not counted in. It's not part of the EBIT. This expense is for example something which is not existent in other FCA regions.

On the good side. Merger could be approved by the EU in the early summer. That's earlier than anybody has hoped.

More food news. Electrification plans especially in the EU are going as planned. 500 BEV and Jeep PHEV plants are operational. Also development and production roll up of the other upcoming electrified technologies is going on the schedule. The next big thing is a P2.5 MHEV for FWD based cars which will go into production during the 2021. It's related to a production start of a mild hybrid 1.0 T3 GSE MultiAir engines and 1.5 T4 GSE DOHC engines.

ScramFan likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Pension and other benefit liabilities do not wipe out the NAFTA profit. Pension and other employee benefit liabilities need to be properly accounted for per time period.
    Someone threw out the over 9 billion Euro number. That's a huge number, but you can't apply that to the current period as that cost is spread over many years.
    According to the presentation, the current benefits liability is 534 million Euro, or about $580 million dollars.
    The EBIT was $594 million, which exceeded the current benefits liability.

Dave Z likes this.
  4. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Note: Euro 548 million is the "adjusted EBIT", not the "EBIT".
    EBIT should be Euro 580 million (548 + 16 +16). Echange rate used for the three months ending 31 march 2020 is Euro/USD 1.103.
    Should also analyzed the others currencies exhange rates, as the Euro / mexican Peso , canadian Dollar ... ...

I wrote about currency exchange rates since, for example, if mexican Peso goes down, and in the U.S.A. a vehicle is sold at same price as an year before, than profits goes up.

source: Interim report Q1 2020 Financial Reports | FCA Group (at https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/investors/financial_regulatory/financial_reports/Pages/2020.aspx )

p.s.: I could put some wrong numbers hereabove. Don't want to spend too much time digging in FCA's 59 pages report.

#4 MJAB, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
  5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

No comments on GM trying to match the TRX before it even comes out?

6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

My only comment: If GM isn't designing cars, they have more resources to pump into their trucks and the market will be very competitive.

HotCarNut likes this.
  7. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

What's there to say? Good on GM for moving quickly I guess.

8. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

They gotta do SOMETHING to try to stay relevant. They are badly loosing the messaging wars. This is just a rear guard action to keep from bleeding too many hardcore fans who miss having bragging rights.

HotCarNut likes this.
  9. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

I think GM has lost the Muscle/Pony cars war, against the Challenger and the Mustang.
    They gotta keep their performance image relevant, and a ZRX truck could help them. If they used the right engine, since Ford is going to kick themselves in the rear with their choice of the Egobust.

HotCarNut, Dave Z and ScramFan like this.
  10. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

But its very risky to put all your eggs in the truck bucket...

11. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

Far be it for me to be giving Government Motors any ideas, but, If I were them, I think I might try using a modified version of the Camaro as a kind of revival of the "El Camino", equipped with a performance engine competitive with Challenger and Mustang.

I must be REALLY tired if I'm giving ideas to the competition!. I'd better finally run to bed!:D

Dave Z and tomit like this.
  12. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Back in the day, my Dad gave me a '79 El Camino SS, but it was more or less a joke of a vehicle. The "SS" was just a sticker package as it was equipped with a 305 V8 (maybe 150 hp) though it did have a 4 speed manual. It did nothing well. Tiny fuel tank (only 13 gallons) and I think I averaged 17-19 mpg (did a lot of highway driving at the time). When the 4 barrel carb got screwed up (have no clue how that happened) I traded it for a lightly used '86 LeBaron GTS (had a growing family). A few days after I traded I saw it going down the road and I figured someone must have fixed or rebuilt the carb - I never saw it again.

13. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The El Camino was hampered by low payloads. The Dodge Rampage/Plymouth Scamp offered a comparable payload to the larger El Camino/Sprint/Caballero.

Doug D likes this.
  14. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

All true...but I'm assuming that the people who would be interested in a Rampage / El Camino type vehicle are not going to be using it for serious heavy-duty service.

Vehicles of this type are usually intended as more of a lifestyle vehicle ALSO capable for lighter-duty pickup use, things like small businesses using it for delivery of product, or folks who just want something a bit more useful than a conventional sporty coupe without giving up too much of the feel of a sporty coupe

15. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

el Camino worked very well for me as a general driver/occasional hauler for years.

16. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I had a 1989 Dakota convertible with the base 1250 lb payload.
    It was embarrassing when I took my father to pick up lumber and we had to leave with a partial load because the nose was pointing in the air.
    It was even more embarrassing when his 1984 Ranger held the other larger part of the load and didn't squat at all. But my truck was more fun.

#16 valiant67, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
  17. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

@Dave Z - GM's quietly been doing some really good things in trucks. The AT4 package for the pickups and the Tahoe is a nice out-of-the-box off-road package, and they share the 10-speed they co-developed with Ford. The problem for GM is that they've NEVER spent the money or time where they needed to: on the interior. It's like sitting in a Fisher Price playhouse for a kindergartner, but the truck stickers for $60k+. Fords may be boring, but at least it feels well put together and that they used quality materials. RAM has by far the best interior in the segment.

As for the ZRX (geez, can you get any more derivative knowing the RAM will be a TRX?), I'm guessing mechanically it will be fine. It may even come in something other than last in a comparison test. But again, the interior will probably doom it to marginal sales as compared to Raptor and TRX. Raptor has the lead in the market and a dedicated fan base. TRX will have the power advantage and a much better interior. Where does that leave Chevy? Dead last....again.

tlc, Dave Z, wtxiceman and 1 other person like this.
  18. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

What finally killed these things? Small trucks like the Ram 50 or the birth of the Caravan/Mini RamVan?

valiant67 likes this.
  19. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I think the main thing that killed them was the death of the RWD cars on which they were based. The El Camino made it until 1987 and the cars made it until 1988. I think the El Camino had a lot in common with the wagon versions of the cars and wagons (and RWD) were going out of favor.

I think it was a combo of the more traditional S10/Ranger and possibly the utility of minivans that killed El Camino. I wouldn't be surprised if they considered a FWD El Camino but didn't see any real sales volume.

tlc, freshforged and Doug D like this.