AF: wiring Harness Differences | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wiring Harness Differences

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by slim slow slider, Apr 7, 2020.

1. slim slow slider

slim slow slider Well-Known Member

Before I start this project I need to know there are differences between 88 and 89 Voyager wiring harnesses. Doing a transplant: Removing 3.0 and replacing with a 2.5. All help appreciated. Have 88 books'; do not have 89 books. Thank You in Advance.

2. neon98rt

neon98rt Well-Known Member

the do change them year by year., I dont have an answer on your van but the 90 lebaron positive battery harness is different from 91 up and of course different than 89 and lower. I had to buy a parts car to get one.

3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I would get a set of 1989 books with the wiring diagrams off eBay before starting.

4. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

So I will assume your plan is to remove the 3.0 liter V6 engine from a 1988 minivan and replace with a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder from a 1989 minivan? If YES then are you going to swap the ECM / engine control module from the 4 cylinder in this conversion process? You cannot use an ECM for a 6 cylinder engine and expect it to run a 4 cylinder engine? You would need to swap the wiring harnesses also from the 1989 donor vehicle. You still may run into wiring differences not so much at the engine but in various components at the end of the engine wiring harness. To even attempt such a conversion you need the entire donor vehicle and ALL its wiring harnesses and other mechanical parts available to you to make this work.

You will have to swap the mating transmission also to make this work. And if you swap the transmission you may have to change the front axle shafts as they could be different lengths between the 4 and 6 cylinder. Power steering mounting bracket, alternator bracket, air conditioner compressor bracket are all different. This is a formidable task with lots of GOTCHAs along the way.

5. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

1988-89 are the most interchangeable years electronically.

Both are SMEC and the firewall bulkhead connectors are the same.

Hopefully you have the underhood wiring harness and matching SMEC for the 2.5 Engine.

You need the 2.5 Engine/trans complete but axles interchange.

1988-89 2.5 Engines have many differences so remember this when buying parts.

(WP and belt, timing belt, cam, crank and int shaft sprockets differ 88-89)

Thanks
    Randy