AF: With all the new Suvs in the Industry will FCA wake up to the gaps | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

With all the new Suvs in the Industry will FCA wake up to the gaps

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by randy1911, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Dang cheap Audis...

Zagnut27 and Tony K like this.
  2. Ryan

Don’t you own an XTS?

3. Donte Lindsey

Donte Lindsey Active Member

I wouldn't mind having both in my driveway!

cdjr77 and randy1911 like this.
  4. Donte Lindsey

Donte Lindsey Active Member

And somehow Audi gets away with it!

AlfaCuda and Tony K like this.
  5. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

They took the easy road going after quick money by using the Jeep name rather than creating an opportunity to build the Dodge and Chrysler names. Now they are left with product gaps under Dodge and Chrysler and a diminished impression of what Jeep is.

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Be fair - that started with Daimler, and they were, to a degree, following Chrysler. The original Patriot and Compass were the real problem. FCA improved on them.

page2171 and tlc like this.
  7. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

A lot of interesting comments.

Folks need to know that "minor tweaking" costs millions of dollars in tooling and in some cases, retesting for various standards.
    Large updates can go well into a billion.
    A new platform, more than that. Engine and trans programs are a separate cost!

And, the planned changes need to be happening a few years before the public gets the vehicle.

FCA took credit for updates on vehicles started by Cerberus. Jim Press really knew the market.

superduckie5000 likes this.
  8. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Fiat with AWD? Very small percentage would opt for it while there is a lot of AWD Jeeps even in Europe where AWD is not so popular as in US and where people are switching between summer and winter tires (all season are just not popular).

And who is going to trail in Europe? Jeeps are to big for it. At least they are in Europe.

9. Ryan

Yes, I was saying Jeep is in the ideal position to be a global brand while the success of the vehicles would be limited if sold by a different FCA brand.

10. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

What's wrong with Giorgio? AFAIK as it's now it has torsional rigidity way above anything from FCA US line up. Torsional rigidity is good for Jeeps?
    WL will show if it's worthy. I doubt that people will look for more capability than what they get with WK2.
    On such cars a lot of capability is gained with an air suspension.

Yes, it would be in class of its own. At least it would be against Japs and other non premium car makers. Against Germans? AFAIK even Grand Cherokee is shopped against Germans.

PSA platforms? Why?

11. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Actually car sold as Fiat in Europe would need to be a lot of different under the skin. No even need to offer it as AWD so no need for IRS which automatically means less weight even for FWD models and much larger cargo volume.

12. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

We don't need more boring jelly beans our wives all want honda or toyota anyways.

13. randy1911

randy1911 Active Member

Yes I used to have a XTS-V that was tuned and I traded it in for a Merc S550, because it didnt matter how much power it had, I hated the drive of FWD based AWD it just did not drive as nice as my 300 that was 2 years older and much dollars cheaper. I want to trade in the 300 and get a new one or a one year old one but im trying to wait it out I have no need for a new one I just want one. I realized I hate GM and will continue to hate GM no matter how much lipstick they put on their cars but the new vette is interesting big time.

14. CherokeeVision

Okay. I didn't define what I meant by 'they'. In this case I was talking about higher ups in general, not any specific higher ups.

15. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

Yes, and going out of business also costs money... The bottom line is that the 300 has been neglected for YEARS... and it is time for a refresh. Chrysler and Dodge has been mismanaged for years.... YEARS. The old adage of "it takes money, to make money" is playing out in real time. They are spending zero to no money on developing the product, and then act surprised that it is underperforming.

A 300 Estate (SUV - tall-wagon ala Audi Allsport) would probably do well... They could base it on the Magnum, with a taller greenhouse and increase ground-clearance for more utility. And have a version for Dodge and name it Nitro or Journey.

There is NO reason that Chrysler should not have had a version of the Cherokee, Compass or both that could focus less on trail-ability but comfortability... None

jimboy, Tony K, jclick and 5 others like this.
  16. randy1911

randy1911 Active Member

I agree with your statements but also I believe adding a new suspension component to the new large sedan class that uses airmatic suspension. With different ride heights ala ram, jeep and benz. A factory airmatic suspension will help sedans and coupes alike with selective ride heights and off set some suv preference. The technology is more than affordable now and has been used in alot of non luxury applications. Dodge and Chrysler especially Chrysler and especially the 300 has been neglected and its time to take the energy of old and give it some new juice.

Donte Lindsey and cdjr77 like this.
  17. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

My '18 Compass is comfortable. Does yours ride rough???

18. CherokeeVision

Torsional rigidity is good for Jeeps if they have a compliant suspension that keeps the tires in contact with the ground.
    Some older 4x4's that have fairly stiff leaf springs all around are pretty capable because the frame flexes making up for it.

19. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

Which is why a coupe like SUV is such a frigging absurdity. Watch them work the same magic on practicality with SU and CUVs as they did on sedans.

My older bro's big a** Taurus is the most claustrophobia producing large car I have ever been in: short windows, obnoxiously large console, compromised entry and exit. A four seater essentially.

But you manufacturers go down that road and work your anti customer magic.

I'd like to see a trunked version of the Durango or Journey. First manufacturer to do that [essentially a 51 Mopar revisited ] would have a nice little niche. Meh: I'm dreaming. There is no resistance to any of this.

20. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Not really, as they're just tall coupes with extra doors. At least with a "CoupeUV," you shouldn't have the back seat headroom issue of a "Coudan." They're niche vehicles, really, same as coupes.

page2171 and Ryan like this.