Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WL - Hurricane or no Hurricane? (Market sizing/speculation)

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by cygnus, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Roadram

Roadram Member

I still like the 2.2. Simple, easy to work on. Could be a bit rough but so what.

Citation84 likes this.
  2. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

I believe their engine family before especially the former 2.4 was better. Remember, Fiat is/was still making the 1.6 litre version of it.

3. Mallard

Mallard Active Member

A naturally aspirated V6 as a luxury option against a turbo 4? No way.

4. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged
    Level III Supporter

It's not an unreasonable idea. If the turbo 4 cylinder in the updated KL is tuned more toward efficiency than power and makes, say, 200 horsepower, there's still plenty of room for a V6 at the top of the lineup.

suzq044 likes this.
  5. serpens

serpens Active Member

They desperately need an efficiency motor so I'd definitely be OK with that.

6. Mallard

Mallard Active Member

When you have a base 4 cylinder with ~185HP, you're not going to be able to upsell a customer to a 200HP turbo for thousands more. Look at the competition. If it's not at least 250HP it won't be competitive. You can offer two versions of the turbo 4, one with a hotter tune, and that would be more effective than adding a wheezy N/A V6 with less torque than the 4. The Pentastar is the 'value' engine. The turbo 4 is typically more expensive to produce, so they will need to be able to charge the customer more for it.

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Let's say...

base four cylinder: 185 hp
    turbo four: 260 hp
    V6: 286 hp (3.6 not 3.2)

Americans often prefer more cylinders, e.g. the original Honda Accord V6 which wasn't any faster than the four.

UN4GTBL and suzq044 like this.
  8. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged
    Level III Supporter

Eh, I was thinking that the 2.4 could just be eliminated from the lineup completely leaving the 2.0 and Pentastar as the only engines. Would help move the Cherokee slightly upmarket to separate it from the Compass.

9. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

I thought the 2.4 was going away once these hurricanes finally get here

(it feels weird writing about hurricanes with the storms that just wreaked havoc over here, in fla and in texas, with more on the way, apparently)

Citation84 and Zagnut27 like this.
  10. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged
    Level III Supporter

I thought so too. I was under the impression that the 2.4 would be replaced by more efficiency-tuned versions of the Hurricane while higher performance versions of the same engine would replace the Pentastar.

suzq044 likes this.
  11. wilbur

wilbur Active Member

I am sure the 2.4L will be used as the new Hurricanes will implemented as the model lines are updated in the oncoming years. First with the Wrangler,

suzq044 likes this.
  12. TripleT

Level III Supporter

Where did you hear 260... I am hearing much more that that.

13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Just a guess for the NON-SRT version — the one with MultiAir — designed for economy rather than power. I'd been hearing 280 hp for that one and “over 300” for the other. Generally the final production version has less power than in development, for various reasons. In some cases it's been a huge difference (Apache) and in other cases the final version has been “as advertised” (Hellcat).

14. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

In FCA investor presentation for powertrains it is shown that there will be different versions with different power output, naturally aspirated and turbocharged.

In a slide are divided as "value", "efficiency" and "performance".
    Each version will be used for different vehicles to meet the target capacities needed.

For NAFTA FCA projected to increase the share of 4 cylinders from 27% of 2013 to 48% in 2018, while 6 cylinders engines going from 52% to 40% and 8 cylinders from 21% to 12%.

cygnus likes this.
  15. Adventurer55

I sure hope they are sharp enough to realize much has changed since 2013. These days, four years is an eternity in the automotive world.

16. cygnus

Ad-Free Member

not sure what you're getting at. The 2018 % is a little high, reality might be a bit lower, but they are on target from my analysis.

The highest volume vehicles (Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, Compass) will all have four cylinder engines.

17. Adventurer55

All I was getting at is, don't be in such a big hurry to start ridding yourself of V6 and V8 engines. Inline sixes won't fit east to west front drivers and we've been down this road before. They were caught with no RWD cars and phased out all V8s. They were on their way to eliminating full size trucks as well, but fortunately Cummins showed up and the rest is history.

18. Mallard

Mallard Active Member

We live in a world where the largest automotive market (China) is talking about a complete ban on internal combustion vehicles, the US has increasing emissions standards that will be impossible to meet without electrification, and several Euro cities are looking at having ICE-free city centers. Which powertrain decision will be seen as short cited in the future?

DarkSky likes this.
  19. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Depends on vehicle and configuration.

Nothing wrong with being conservative now ;)

Mike

20. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Forgive me but the 3.6 Pentastar is going to be around for a while longer. Right ? Finally a wonderful engine.....and to be replaced with a 4 cylinder ? I am just not a fan of 4 bangers......turbo'd or not.

UN4GTBL likes this.