AF: WL interior spied | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WL interior spied

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by T_690, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I just hope they take their time and don't rush it to market. I'd like to see a launch go like the Pacifica seemed to go. Nothing is ever flawless, but hopefully it'll go better then the 1500 launch. Now, what's it going to be called? I'm talking the three row. Anyone care to speculate? I'm going to say Commander.

2. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Jeep's naming is nuts anyway, but if "Commander" is the name, it'd have to be "Grand Commander" given that it's bigger than "Grand Cherokee".

"Grand Cherokee Unlimited" has logic on its side if you imagine "Unlimited" means "Long Wheelbase" on Wrangler, but as I said, logic and Jeep naming don't meet often, so they could call it anything, really.

3. Adventurer55

Well the last Commander was bigger then the Grand Cherokee and it was still called that. But this time it appears they have done a proper three row. At least from the pictures the wheelbase looks longer. It was the same as the Grand Cherokee, just a longer back end to accommodate the third row seats, and I use that term loosely. Kid seats were more like it. We have one and never use them, not much room for an adult.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  4. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Grand Cherokee L

5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Unlimited doesn’t work well on a vehicle that has a Limited trim level. Grand Cherokee Unlimited Limited.

UN4GTBL, tlc, Ryan and 2 others like this.
  6. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Mucho Grand Cherokee.

7. Adventurer55

Grand Cherokee 7. Lol

8. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Grander Cherokee? ;)

James A and purplepassengerpete like this.
  9. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

XXX L was named no MOPAR product ever, to the best of my knowledge, and don't look for it to start now.

10. Mopar02

Mopar02 Mopar02

They should just call the 2-row WL74 "Cherokee", 3-row WL75 "Grand Cherokee". Rename the KL to Liberty or something similar.

Same with Wagoneer (SWB) and Grand Wagoneer (LWB).

freshforged, Tony K, tlc and 3 others like this.
  11. WXman

WXman Active Member

I hate the angle of the dash. Lots of glare on that infotainment screen for sure. Not attractive or functional.

12. Chris mopar

Chris mopar Well-Known Member

How about “Super Grand Cherokee” or “Grand Cherokee Chief” or “Apache”.

13. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

If Jeep management is smart they'll avoid any further usage of Native American titles/names.

14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I don’t see there being much of an issue with it. They’re not using these names in a derogatory or demeaning manner. Unless, of course, one sees putting these names on an FCA product in general as being offensive. Opinions may vary on that...lol.

Chris mopar, tlc, KrisW and 5 others like this.
  15. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Officially, the Cherokee Nation has no position, positive or negative, on Jeep’s use of the name. In 2013, when KL arrived, an official spokesperson did express disappointment that Jeep hadn’t informed the Nation out of courtesy before the launch, but there was no condemnation of the usage, and they have been very vocal about other uses of both their name and Native American imagery in general.

Jeep has been pretty careful (in modern times) to not use any Native American stereotypes in its advertising, and it generally makes no reference to the origins of the name. Both Pontiac and Winnebago did/do the same kind of careful advertising that has kept them off people’s radar (also, both were helped by a lack of broad awareness that those even were the names of Native peoples).

As long as there's no “Eliminator” model, ever again, things will probably be fine. Actually, on that: just how much cocaine was needed to make “Comanche Eliminator” seem like an okay model name? In 1987?

XRT2SRT, JKU12, UN4GTBL and 3 others like this.
  16. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

I totally agree, however- why wade into a potentially sensitive area if you don't have to? Smart management knows you can still brand your models successfully without needing to do anything remotely controversial.

I'm aware and have no contrary thoughts on your post. As I said in response to Zagnut27, why would you wade further into a potentially controversial area? Pontiac and Winnebago didn't continue fleshing out a lineup full of Native American titles/references. Jeep is in good standing with its current ones and there's no need to expand that theme. Commander, Gladiator, Renegade, other recycled FCA names, etc. work just fine.

KrisW likes this.
  17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Jeep has been using these names for quite a while. If they suddenly decided to start using them now (and hadn’t been before), I’d probably agree with your statement fully. There’s no need to start something new, but they’re just continuing what they’ve been doing all along. The Native American names may not make as much sense to a global market, hence the names Renegade, Commander, Gladiator, etc. I don’t have a problem with them using the names, but I’m also not in any way Native American...at least, not that I know of. Lol.

18. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I'm 5/256 Choctaw and can confirm that I'm not offended by the use of Native American names. ;)

Morty, somber, kevin m. Henry and 2 others like this.
  19. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

What are you TALKING ABOUT?? The consoles in the 60 and 90's were much thinner and sat lower.

20. Dan Minick

Level III Supporter

Food for thought... The Town & Country when available in two wheelbases were both called T&C ( unlike Caravan/GC or Voyager/ GV). Who says lwb Grand Cherokee has to be named something different? Both models sales figures could be combined giving the GC a good sales ranking.

KrisW, T_690, tomaz and 1 other person like this.