AF: Won't Start When Hot '95 Van 5.2L | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Won't Start When Hot '95 Van 5.2L

Discussion in 'Vans' started by buba_zanetti, Feb 15, 2013.

1. buba_zanetti

buba_zanetti New Member

to anyone searching the interwebs foe their own solution:

It turned out to be the ECU in my case. With the CEL not coming on I really started to suspect the computer. I found one used on the net for $108 and just spent the night running errands. I got that sucker HOT. I left it running with the nose pinned against a concrete wall to block air to the radiator, then let it idle in 95* weather with the A/C on for 20min... it still was able to start.

I ran it around tonight (though the temps were lower, it still allowed the engine bay to become heat soaked) and it restarted every time. No idea what happened in that $100 shitbox called an ECU, but that's the breaks when dealing with newer vehicles. At least the problem appears solved.
    b-z-

2. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Wow! Glad to hear you finally seem to have it fixed. I guess some sort of thermal separation in the ECU? I had a two way radio that would do that back years ago when I was running a delivery route. When it got hot, it wouldn't transmit, but I could still hear the dispatcher. Motorola could never fix it, because by the time their techs got it out and apart, it would cool off.

3. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Probably the aluminum electrolytic capacitors have dried up and become leaky. Replacing them (which costs about 50 cents each) can often cure these issues.