Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would this work?

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by Diplomatic, May 10, 2014.

1. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Canadian Lean Burn cars did not have feedback carbs as early as US cars. Lean Burn was basically ignition only for many years in Canada.

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Well, those were illegal mods, since regardless of your state law, it's a federal crime to tamper with emissions controls. If you altered it after only one year (the drivetrain warranty was still in place), then you also voided your powertrain warranty.

These cars are carefully tuned for proper air-fuel mixture vs ignition timing, and making changes on the fly is likely to hurt performance, gas mileage and emissions. People do not have the equipment or expertise to redo these balances at home. I've been working on cars for 36 years and have seen a lot of alterations, mostly botched.

3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Mopar56 is in Canada. The Lean Burn system there did not use a feedback carb until the late 1980s so it was different from the US system. The Lean Burn there controlled nothing but the ignition. The US setup used the feedback carb which provided greater economy and reduced emissions.

4. mopar56

mopar56 Active Member

well there's your answer!, Bob, FYI, in Canada, unless goverened by mandated laws to pass Provincial or city air care it isn't illegal to remove emmissions, in the Province I am in there is only one major city that has air care the rest of the Province dosn't, also back in 81 I had only one year of warrenty on my new truck, hence why I waited a year to modify, essentially what I did was take it to a pre-71 form, the truck ran well, in fact we did almost the exact same mods to my sons 1980 Dodge s/b truck with the 318 and it performs like a champ, fuel economy not so good but only because my son has a lead foot otherwise with the 4spd od we put in it its not bad on the highway, like you I have been working on Mopars for 36 years, wouldn't consider any other vehical, but for the record this is " old school" stuff only, I wouldnt even think of touching the daily driver stuff like my 2011 ram or 2013 Avenger, its amazing how far technology has come now that we can mix performance with emmissions and economy

5. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I didn't realize you were in Canada.
    You breathe the same composition air that we do, right?

6. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

IMO, Carter made better carbs than Holley, but if you're going to switch, the BBD came in two versions; you'll want the smaller 1 1/4" carb for your 318. The ones made from 1974 to 1984 should fit your engine with no linkage problems; some of the hoses are routed differently. And so long as ethanol is in the gasoline you buy, you'll probably have to rebuild the carb every few years.

Don't know if your car also has a vacuum amplifier, but if it's bad, that could be causing your problems.

7. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

A reman Mopar or Cardone computer will run about $130.

A good carb kit might run $20.

A Mopar tune-up kit (Cap, Rotor, Wires, RN12YC Champion plugs) shouldn't be more than $50.

A Holley 6280 or Rochester QJet mixture solenoid should run about $25 +/-.

All new vacuum hoses shouldn't be more than $10.

All new sensor connectors might run $50 on the high end.

You're not even $300 deep yet, but this cures 99.999% of the issues most hacks blame on that Durn Lean Burn.

Instead of throwing parts at the poor car, diagnose what's wrong. Fuel, air, or spark problems. Tuning issues. What's the compression like? How's the fuel pump, fuel lines, tank, and sender?

Get over to the Mopar Action tech archive, find the issues you're having, READ what Sir Ehrenberg has to say, and DO what he suggests. I will tell you right now, he is absolutely NOT in favor of trashing the ESC/EFC systems without having done proper diagnosis FIRST.

It will be far more expensive hacking this car up with new ignition and new carb than to figure out what's actually wrong and repair it.