Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WPC Museum Permanently Closing?

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by valiant67, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Mopar brand has done several things and offer several products and services regarding heritage recently... I have to give credit where it is due at least.

Mike

jerseyjoe, Prabhjot and valiant67 like this.
  2. jam1

jam1 Active Member

One could hope someone would create a "traveling museum" so that more could see and enjoy the history in various parts of the country.

BASONE88 and jerseyjoe like this.
  3. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

jerseyjoe and UN4GTBL like this.
  4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Yes, and that is good to see.

Mike V. likes this.
  5. Magnum

Magnum Member

Need for office space? My big ole butt that is a lie.

UN4GTBL and jerseyjoe like this.
  6. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

This is terrible news.

This is a fair point...

Although freeway access is excellent to the WPC, it's pretty far removed from the action. What would be ideal, very-far-thinking and excellent PR would be for Chrysler to acquire some space (albeit smaller) in downtown Detroit (I don't really know what happens at "Chrysler House"?) and rotate themed displays there.

1) NAIAS
    2) Something else to do downtown
    3) Hipster points (use some space to display cars like the 500 that only hipsters would consider buying)
    4) Closer to Historic Archives

That said, I'm sure my idea will go nowhere.

7. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

^ Good point. It's too bad they won't keep it open until after NAIAS for any of the people that come into Detroit for the show.

8. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

FCA rotates vehicles a lot. They actually have a secret bunker somewhere in Southeast Michigan where all the cars are kept. Not all the cars at the Walter P. Chrysler Museum are owned by FCA and are supplied by private owners. Chrysler Techincal Center (CTC) always rotates their displays in house. Its very common to see different vehicles in different sections of the buildings every month. FCA also brings a ton of the vehicles to different shows, special events, several of the assembly plants display vehicles and etc.

For example, if you are interested in what happens with some of the vehicles...

Here is photos from my visit to the 100th Anniversary Dodge Press Event, they brought tons of classic vehicles and concept cars to the event...

2014 Dodge 100th Anniversary Press Event:

Prabhjot and UN4GTBL like this.
  9. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

The WPC was there for years, however fundrasing was short and volunteers were hard to find.

10. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

A travelling exhibit would do a lot. My personal left-field idea would be to get some space at or near the Chrysler Building in NYC, and show a selection of the models there. After all, Walter P paid for the building, and it was the company HQ for twenty years or so.

11. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Ford Musiem collects industrial icons, maybe they will pick a few examples for their collection.

12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

They are not selling the collection; indeed, the last sale of corporate-owned cars was done to benefit the museum.
    See the official statement:
    WPC Museum closing its doors for good

13. svevar

Level 2 Supporter

While I can understand closing the museum due to lack of interest and/or funding, I don't see how the space could be needed for offices. Aren't there entire floors sitting vacant in the headquarters tower?

jerseyjoe and burtstwins like this.
  14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

In my experience it was pretty dead during NAIAS.

I believe they are sitting two to a chair.

15. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

No, the Vision was an Eagle. :p
    Though the Chrysler 300M would have been a Vision if Eagle had survived.

16. LXbuilder

LXbuilder Well-Known Member

Really sad and somewhat more disgusted than I previously was with FCA's lack of commitment to Chrysler/Dodge rich heritage of innovative vehicles and their racing history. This was something that even Dumbler Benz for all their many many faults understood the importance of.
    Unless something has changed in very recent time, I am very doubtful of this claim that the space is required for offices, that makes zero sense at all given the size of CTC and it's current population vs the good old days.
    Also noticed that the Fiat museum in Italy is still going strong. Making it tough for some enthusiasts to stay enthusiastic on this side of the big pond. :(

jerseyjoe likes this.
  17. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

A museum with a paltry trickle of visitors is no museum. Besides, in the digital era: the museum need not have a set, stable 'location', historic or not. Although the internet-of-everything probably kills off such small, out-of-the-'central place'-way museums' vitality, in any case. The Chrysler Building-in-nyc idea, so, is an intriguing, alternative if probably-too-expensive one, as a replacement location?

Indeed, sentimental/ritualistic/fetishistic talk/incantations of 'heritage' etcetera is sometimes, maybe usually, a sign more of forgetting/amnesia than of respectful/thoughtful memory, imo. Among the wider public, that is, rather than micro-loyalist-publics like the Mopar fans here.

The 'discounting' of the (past and future of the) 'Chrysler' name in the wider American automotive culture was not something Marchionne/FCA's in any way responsible-for!

FCA usa plays up, or better: broadcasts and celebrates its 'heritages' more and arguably better than most other firms, imo. Well, perhaps not Chrysler but certainly Dodge+Ram and Jeep. Interesting, as a comparison: that Buick, Cadillac and Lincoln (in the usa home country rather than in more respectful China) seem keener on inducing-forgetting-about-their-specific-heritages these days than calling-attention-to-them!

18. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Sorry, driving a digital car won't get anyone anywhere. I will say the Museum could be located someplace easy to access for a larger portion of the population and low cost realistate. FCA would probably not be here if the Children of Walter P did not plead their case with President Obama, he did put some muscle behind the venture. My attraction to FCA vehicles is growing Less with every FCA move. No entry level vehicles, I am not a truck person and at 70 my taste in vehicles is less boy racer and more about refinement. So whats in it for people like me?

SM DID NOTHING TO IMPROVE THE CRYSLER IMAGE.

Prabhjot and geraldg like this.
  19. eaglecars

eaglecars Well-Known Member

As I was enjoying my 2013 Mini Cooper S Coupe today, as I do every day, I thought about how I wished there were a Mopar like it. Since there isn't one, and hasn't been for a long time, I'll just keep on enjoying it and maybe someday I'll be able to get a Viper (or will shop for a Charger if I need four doors or a backseat). Yeah, my morale as a Mopar fan has been pretty dang low this week. I love the muscle cars, but...

Really wish I'd been able to see the museum in person too! All those great little "youth cars" they teased us with but never built are there! Oh well, I'll go back to enjoying my little turbo coupe from Mini. (Not that Mini is perfect...they've been on a binge of building bigger vehicles with too many doors lately, just like everyone else.)

#39 eaglecars, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  20. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Active Member

Walter must be rolling over in his grave.

jerseyjoe likes this.