Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WPC Museum Permanently Closing?

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by valiant67, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

Well before you do that, I don't think you need to worry about the vehicles themselves. Chrysler historic (which owns the vehicles) isn't going away. For now.

2. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

I would like to keep my ear to the ground for the "for now" stuff.

3. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Member

I worked at CTC from 2011 to 2013 and never took the time to go to the Museum.... drove by it twice a day....I will be there when the doors open at 10am today!

BASONE88 likes this.
  4. jerseyjoe

Chrysler has been important to US history, WW2, automotive and the US space program in that sence the vehicles are national treaures and I think the vehicles, especially the turbine car shoud be where the public can view them. There are large museims all over the US that they can be contributed to these musiems so every one of our citizens an enjoy and understand them.

5. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

I worked at Chrysler Engineering from 1966 to 2007. From 1966 to 1992 I was at Highland Park and then from 1992 to 2007 at CTC. Anyway, back in Highland Park across the street from the Engineering center was "Oakland Storage" where everything went when there was no use for it, everything from car bodies and all types of engines to you name it. I saw old and new race Hemi engines, complete body in white 56 Plymouth Furys and other important vehicles like the Turbine cars, many other important parts of Chrysler history just sitting on shelves or piled in corners or on top of each other. No rhyme or reason for the way they were saved. Like many people I thought the auto companies saved a lot of historic stuff somewhere but I found out differently. When we were done testing race engines we would send them over to Oakland Storage if we had no other use for them. And when things got really bad in the 1980's that stuff started disappearing and eventually the building was emptied out and torn down. Have no idea where all the stuff went.

BASONE88 likes this.
  6. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

When Daimler took over one of their programs they initiated was that every area of the corporation had to show a profit to prove it's viability. That's when the Viper program and the NASCAR program and eventually the museum had to prove their worth in the mid 2000's. And we all know what happened to all of those programs.

rapidtrans likes this.
  7. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Member

20%.jpg
    What happened? Not sure. Did Cerbris or Fiat bring them all back, and now Fiat has axed them all?

jerseyjoe likes this.
  8. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

With all the available office space in Auburn Hills i still call b.s. on their reason for the closing the museum.

jerseyjoe and burtstwins like this.
  9. Mallard

Mallard Active Member

CTC is full. They could lease additional space miles away, but there is some advantage to having everything located within the complex.

10. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

What they did is total BS plain and simple, I would never buy one of their cars because they showed their true colors.

11. jerseyjoe

There has been truth in what you have said in the past some could have stated more delicatly. I am starting to feel like you. There is enough old MOPAR Iron around to sample while I am still above ground.

Some of this stuff needs to go to the Smithsonian.

#71 jerseyjoe, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    rapidtrans likes this.
  12. rapidtrans

As long the the Lx cars are around i'll remain a buyer.
    Some reason i just have no confidence in the next moves.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Some of this stuff was given to other museums, particularly the turbine cars; one went to Jay Leno with strings attached. I have though been amazed at how badly Chrysler has always treated its history, from the days of WPC onwards.

KrisW and UN4GTBL like this.
  14. rapidtrans

How much do you think people would pay to visit a museum like the WPC but with all the big three in one location? I like the show cars from the fifties, 1st of cars and milestone cars.

15. runfromcheney

runfromcheney Member

Visited a couple weeks ago when they were reopened. Took a picture of my Challenger in front. I understand why it's closing - most of the times I visited nobody else was in there and you can see where it hasn't been updated in about a decade. But I will miss it.

Attached Files:

BobbiBigWheels and redriderbob like this.
  16. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Who is all going this month? I am going to be there on the last day for sure.

17. runfromcheney

runfromcheney Member

Im probably going to go back on the 17th.

redriderbob likes this.
  18. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Alright, who is going this weekend? It is supposed to be a crummy day weather wise... what a better day to go enjoy the last time inside the WPC Museum.

19. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

I'll be going Saturday before i head back off to home for winter break

20. jerseyjoe

I would like to go, hope I can make it. Mid summer would be a better date but I guess its the fiscal year that counts.